University of Alberta, MPH applicants Fall 2022.

Kayne Mbego

7 minutes ago, schoolmph said:

I feel that, preparing for the worst ! Im guessing by your user name you have a Bsn? Im sure youll do great

Thanks! Yes, BScN and BScKin, I feel like you could never be sure, I have heard of people rejected with 4.0 and 5 years in the field, it is always a guessing game! Hoping for the best for us all

9 minutes ago, TheTachyNurse said:

Posted on the other forum but in case anyone was looking, I just received my offer to UofA for HPro Part-time distance!

Congrats!!! 

just wondering if you are willing to share your gpa/stats?

4 minutes ago, HealthPromo1 said:

Congrats!!! 

just wondering if you are willing to share your gpa/stats?

Certainly!

I have a BSc in Kinesiology and an BSc in Nursing as well as a Disability Management certification. GPA in my accelerated nursing program which was 19 months long was a 3.9/4.0 but I feel like they may have had to take one of the summer courses I did prior to nursing school into consideration so it would be more like somewhere between 3.8-3.9 for the final two years. 

I have worked as a Public Health Nurse for 2 years, and I have previous experience in a sports injury environment. In my personal statement I spoke about how I started the Kinesiology society at my university, worked with an LGBTQ+ alliance team on my campus as well as with mental health initiatives such as Bell Lets Talk, and currently run the Wellness Committee for my team within Public Health. I do not have any research experience but a lot of my experience is within the field such as doing epi reports for our medical officer of health and creating documents and interventions for our community partners, so I really focused on that and spoke to what my long-term goal would be if admitted to the program which is focusing on health literacy. 

I had 3 references, all from managers who I work with in Public Health. Because my nursing school profs are all nurses they were still dealing with the pandemic and were not actually teaching so it was hard for me to obtain a recent reference in that area but my managers have seen a lot of what I have accomplished in the public health sector so they were able to speak to my dedication and learning abilities in that area.

Good luck everyone! Good news will be coming your way - I can feel it!

On 4/1/2022 at 9:53 AM, HealthPromo1 said:

Does anyone know how many spots U of A has for MPH? Either total or by stream?

It’s roughly 80-85 a year - changes every year cause its not really fixed. Roughly 6 in global, 20 in health promo, 20 in health policy, 14 in epi, 10 in bio stats, 1 in food safety. Those are all rough numbers and Idk if thats total (PT and FT, online and in person, or just for like FT in person) if that makes sense. I have a feeling it might be total FT in person or online…

1 hour ago, SS98 said:

It’s roughly 80-85 a year - changes every year cause its not really fixed. Roughly 6 in global, 20 in health promo, 20 in health policy, 14 in epi, 10 in bio stats, 1 in food safety. Those are all rough numbers and Idk if thats total (PT and FT, online and in person, or just for like FT in person) if that makes sense. I have a feeling it might be total FT in person or online…

That's a small class size! The website says 250 students each year and ~50% belonging to MPH, so I thought it would be more

1 hour ago, paperr said:

That's a small class size! The website says 250 students each year and ~50% belonging to MPH, so I thought it would be more

Hmm, maybe then those numbers are for in person students! and the roughly 125 is comprising all MPH students PT/FT online/in person!

is the policy program the only specialization that can be taken online? Additionally, does anyone know about the processes of switching specializations I am still doing my research on this program and will email the school (Ualberta) tomorrow but figured Id ask here if anyone had any idea. 

On 3/27/2022 at 5:41 PM, Drbebe said:

congrats ? 

i have a few questions .

1. has you status changed on your applicant portal? mine still @ prescreening ??

2. how was your references reviewed . mine still says submitted and this is making me nervous  

1. Yes it changed to under review around 3 weeks before I got the acceptance! 

2. My references also still say Reference Submitted so don't worry! 

I have until April 30th to respond to the offer and I'm guessing other people do too! So there might be another wave early May perhaps? 

Hey! I applied to an MPH in Global Health in December but I still am in pre-screening and haven’t heard back. My friends received responses today and when I emailed sph ualberta about my application, they said i’ll hear back from next Friday which sounds really late..has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know why they wouldn’t respond until the 22nd of April??

Edited by s123

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but for the University of Alberta mph program, if your application is still at "pre-screening" at this stage, it's most likely you will be rejected. Email the sph contact and they'll update your file within 24 hours. That's what I did. I was rejected from the epi stream but got acceptances elsewhere thankfully. Good luck everyone.

18 minutes ago, Aliyah7 said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but for the University of Alberta mph program, if your application is still at "pre-screening" at this stage, it's most likely you will be rejected. Email the sph contact and they'll update your file within 24 hours. That's what I did. I was rejected from the epi stream but got acceptances elsewhere thankfully. Good luck everyone.

Which other streams you got an acceptance? 

2 minutes ago, Aliyah7 said:

I got accepted into other schools is what I meant to write! I only applied to the epi stream at the University of Alberta.

Okay thanks. I think mine is rejected too as it is still at prescreening stage. 

9 minutes ago, Kim21 said:

Okay thanks. I think mine is rejected too as it is still at prescreening stage. 

Sorry to hear that, but email the SPH office. They should reply quickly to let you know. Based on my own experience and that of friends the pre-screening status is usually not good news, however it could be coincidental. You should email the department to know for sure.

5 minutes ago, Aliyah7 said:

Sorry to hear that, but email the SPH office. They should reply quickly to let you know. Based on my own experience and that of friends the pre-screening status is usually not good news, however it could be coincidental. You should email the department to know for sure.

I just did. Will update everyone tomorrow.