MTS Program Chances?

DivSchoolHopeful1942

Hi all, I'm a current college student applying to MTS programs and am feeling unsure/could use some insight.

I'm a senior at a pretty well known/prestigious liberal arts college; I am a philosophy major with extensive humanities coursework and a decent GPA (3.75), but I'm worried that admission to Divinity School might be unrealistic.

I grew up very religious, altar serving, attending mass and Sunday School every week, but after coming out as trans (and receiving backlash) I backed away from my faith and the Church. I have recently regained interest in the academic study of religion (after being exposed to philosophy of religion), but I have -- for the above reasons -- unfortunately never taken an actual religion class. And I haven't been involved in any religious extracurriculars because of this distance from my faith.

However, I've been super involved in both LGBTQ/trans and disability studies during my undergraduate career, as well as serving on behalf of such communities in my free time for the past five or six years. My whole "pitch" to divinity schools is that I hope to tie my recent return to faith and religion in with my existing engagement with transness and disability through academic religious studies. 

This is an honest (and I think pretty good) angle to approach my personal statement from, but I'm worried that A) My experience may not be traditionally "Div School" enough for Div Schools, and B.) This focus on transness and disability might be too "boo-hoo," i.e. not conventional enough, for these programs. I've chosen these schools all for their openness to studying these topics in their MTS programs, but I am concerned my purpose in pursuing Div School might just be too focus on these topics instead of the proper, traditional academic study of religion -- which I still definitely am. (This is mainly related to Reason A, and the fact that I haven't had decent, recent exposure to religion for the reasons explained above.) 

At an admissions information session last week, I recall one of the Divinity School admissions reps saying something along the lines of "We've all been discriminated against, had trauma, don't give us a sob story in your personal statement." This was kind of off-putting to me, but I think this academic interest of mine comes from an honest and legitimate place, and not solely (or really at all) from "trauma" or an "anger" from being discriminated against. It is simply an interest of mine and a way to engage with my spiritual growth and the wellbeing of fellow trans folk around me. (Yet another abiding concern I've had when drafting my essays.)

I'm applying to BU, HDS, Union TS, UChicago, Vanderbilt, and Yale. Might I have a chance at these programs given all this...? I know nobody can give a definitive answer, but I wonder whether anybody familiar with admissions processes might be able to offer any advice.

Sorry for the long post. I'm mostly done with applications but am feeling a level of stress and apprehension I hadn't before. Thanks in advance for any insight -- any and all is appreciated. Have a nice Saturday! Peace.

Edited by DivSchoolHopeful1942
more context

You will absolutely get into BU. They admit 75% of their applicants (admissions person told me this). Don’t plagiarize your personal statement, which the admissions person told me is one of the big reasons other than really poor grades they reject people. If you apply before the first deadline you’ll also be invited to apply for merit scholarships and I wouldn’t be surprised if you got one for people interested in studying LGBT people, which gives a stipend. 

They let me in with a 3.4 and an Economics degree :), and I got a full tuition scholarship. 

Edited by MaryHildegard

Div School MTS admission is known to be quite easy. PhD is where things get serious. 

Also contrary to your belief, div schools are also becoming very diverse. It is true that many religious circles are hostile towards LGBTQ communities, but some schools are trying to place safer environments. A philosophy major from a good liberal arts college will always be helpful for studying religion. In fact, I might even say it’s better to study philosophy in undergrad than going straight to religious studies in undergrad. Wishing you the best of luck! 

@DivSchoolHopeful1942

You have a very good chance at getting into those programs - but funding may be hit or miss. The MTS is will be significantly more competitive than the M.Div - but your background and academic experience could set you a part in a good way. I would try to be very clear on what type of research you are interested in and what work you've already done to bolster your perspective.

Hi there! Fellow div school applicant applying to similar schools right now and thought I'd chime in (though of course, my thoughts come from a place of a lot less experience with the div school admissions world).

My understanding is that it actually might work in your favor that you have an academic background in a humanities subject other than religious studies, and that these schools are mainly interested in an academic preparedness for theological study, not in the specific knowledge you already have about religion.

I was actually in attendance at that same admissions event and remember that comment well. I interpreted the remark about not just "telling a sob story about your trauma" to be more of a warning not to make your application into something it's not, in other words not to make it about religious trauma if that's not wholly authentic to you. It sounds like not describing the effects of this background on your choices and interests might be inauthentic (but of course, that's your story to share!). I'm a believer in the idea that the right school for you will celebrate the genuine you you share in your applications, so I would have confidence in the way you have presented yourself and your interests.

Peace to you as you finish up your applications and begin the waiting game!

• 2 months later...
On 12/22/2021 at 7:36 AM, futurechaplain78 said:

I was actually in attendance at that same admissions event and remember that comment well. I interpreted the remark about not just "telling a sob story about your trauma" to be more of a warning not to make your application into something it's not, in other words not to make it about religious trauma if that's not wholly authentic to you. It sounds like not describing the effects of this background on your choices and interests might be inauthentic (but of course, that's your story to share!). I'm a believer in the idea that the right school for you will celebrate the genuine you you share in your applications, so I would have confidence in the way you have presented yourself and your interests.

I agree with this statement. They want background and if that background influenced your religious or spiritual stance then I think it should be included and appreciated.