Applying for your MFA in painting/drawing??! GATHER HERE!

Kaelynn

Hello, hello.

None of us has really done this before:

this whole big, scary, exciting, rigorous process of applying for our MFAs.

So, in regard of the sleepless nights to come,

I propose that we gather here and support one another

on this, er, caffeinated odyssey of artistic slavery.

Where is everyone looking at to go?

Are you stuck in your vision?

What are the top 50 schools on that elusive list for painting/drawing?

How many coffees have you had today?

These are all questions we could answer for each another.

And maybe it won't be as difficult, knowing that none of us are alone.

Wow, was that sufficiently cheesy?

I daresay it was.

I hope people join this. SO JOIN!!

A good day to you all!

K.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Kaelynn! Looks like you're new here, allow me to be the first to welcome you. Hi! laugh.gif

This past application season, the one I personally just went through, saw an amazing community come together and support one another through this very difficult process. I was quite surprised at the depth of humanity and positive encouragement to be found here. You'll get answers and insider tips that will prove super helpful.

Quite to the contrary of, "none of us has done this before" there are on this board many, many people who have done this before. You don't have to start from scratch. There are tons and tons of posts already here regarding the things you're asking - don't even get me started on the "elusive lists" of top programs. That's been debated ad infinitum.

So, look around the boards a bit. The community you seek will come together organically closer to the end of summer. It'll really start to ramp up in the fall, and reach hysterical proportions around February.

If you would like to ask anything specific, feel free! If I have any of the answers you seek, I'll let you know. Others, I'm sure, will share too. There are people on this board from all fields, all backgrounds. Plus we had a really amazing crop of results this year - a few Yalies, SAIC, CCA, RISD, USC, MICA, VCU, SVA - you name it.

Good luck and God speed.

• 1 month later...

i just stumbled onto this forum and it seems to be exactly what i was looking for. I would feel much better going through this process with other people. it seems like theres lots of good information on here.

Where is everyone looking at to go? i have a list of about 10 or so right now. tyler, hunter, uga, saic, university of chicago, otis are at the top of the list for me

Are you stuck in your vision? yes, now i have to figure out exactly how to articulate it.

Scary times......

I am a nontrad in every sense of the word....over 50, kids in college, with faithful German Shepherd along for the ride. Just picked up and relocated from the midwest weeks after getting my BFA, to NYC. Thought it reasonable to be where I can live, breathe, and see art while building grad school portfolio. Focus, must focus. Welcome thoughts for creating superb portfolio in 6 months!

L.

Hello, hello.

None of us has really done this before:

this whole big, scary, exciting, rigorous process of applying for our MFAs.

So, in regard of the sleepless nights to come,

I propose that we gather here and support one another

on this, er, caffeinated odyssey of artistic slavery.

Where is everyone looking at to go?

Are you stuck in your vision?

What are the top 50 schools on that elusive list for painting/drawing?

How many coffees have you had today?

These are all questions we could answer for each another.

And maybe it won't be as difficult, knowing that none of us are alone.

Wow, was that sufficiently cheesy?

I daresay it was.

I hope people join this. SO JOIN!!

A good day to you all!

K.

I started with a list of 20 schools, and have been trying to paring it down to 10. My list at the moment (subject to change):

Yale

SAIC

Columbia

MICA

Tyler

UCLA

Hunter

VCU

I visit VCU, Tyler, and MICA next week, I'll report back with anything I find out. If anyone has information regarding specific painting programs, please add it here. I live in Memphis, and I don't have many opportunities to visit schools.

I plan on applying to MFA painting programs this fall as well, and I was wondering if anyone has contacted past alumni from the schools to which they are applying. And if so, how did you do it, what did you ask them, any advice would be appreciated.

so obviously there are lots of people with questions.... and very few people to actually answer those questions. the people on here seem to abandon the board once they are/arent accepted to their schools. buuuuut ill throw another question on the pile. This one doesnt actually require the answer to come from someone who has already completed this process.

Are their any schools known for their history of abstract painting?

i know that i can learn at any school. Im not looking to be surrounded with people that paint just like me.... its just that i have been researching faculty at many of the schools and ive found that some feature prominently figure artists, or installation, or conceptual. I just want to make sure that there isnt some hidden gem ive been overlooking that may fit me perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

Are their any schools known for their history of abstract painting?

i know that i can learn at any school. Im not looking to be surrounded with people that paint just like me.... its just that i have been researching faculty at many of the schools and ive found that some feature prominently figure artists, or installation, or conceptual. I just want to make sure that there isnt some hidden gem ive been overlooking that may fit me perfectly.

I would recommend looking at Rutgers - many abstract painters in the student body and faculty - plus it's close to nyc and there is generous financial aid for TAs (ie full tuition remission + living stipends).

I am applying for the first time and I am starting to get nervous. I want to stay in the west so I am applying to: PSU, PNCA, University of Washington, SFAI, and Mills College. I might apply to a few other places but have not decided yet. I mostly am trying to paint like crazy to get my portfolio ready, the more I have the better. I started my statement of Purpose today and it was harder then I thought.

I visit VCU, Tyler, and MICA next week, I'll report back with anything I find out. If anyone has information regarding specific painting programs, please add it here. I live in Memphis, and I don't have many opportunities to visit schools.

All three schools had more than adequate studio space...I felt that the facilities at MICA were the best of the three. Didn't get to meet much faculty, so I don't have too much to report.

MICA grad school is a block away from the rest of the undergrad departments, which was nice. VCU and Tyler had both grad and undergrad in the same area.

Sorry I realize this isn't terribly helpful. haha.

All three schools had more than adequate studio space...I felt that the facilities at MICA were the best of the three. Didn't get to meet much faculty, so I don't have too much to report.

MICA grad school is a block away from the rest of the undergrad departments, which was nice. VCU and Tyler had both grad and undergrad in the same area.

Hello, you said you visited Tyler? How were facilities, specifically the grad painting studios, (size, private/shared)? Thanks for any info.

Hello, you said you visited Tyler? How were facilities, specifically the grad painting studios, (size, private/shared)? Thanks for any info.

The facilities were decent. Most of the studios are shared, although I did see a few private studios with no windows. i'd say approximately 15x15 ft iirc. Same floor as the undergrad students. There is a room that the grad students can use for pieces too large for their studios.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

I am new to this forum. Looking for MFA in painting/drawing. Please pass on info. SOP's etc

Today I am stucked with Why UT Austin??

-Jo

Hello!

I am also new to this forum and need help for MFA painting portfolio.

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks

-Jo

• 4 weeks later...

I too am a painter applying for 2011 mfa programs. I applied last year to 9 schools, got rejected from 7, waitlisted at 1, and accepted at1. Decided to give it another go again this year, but I've got a lot of work to do...still havent decided on my list of schools. I'm interested in schools on the west coast, nyc, and possibly the uk...

Where did you apply to?? And which schools were you accepted to, and why did you decide not to go? I'm applying for the first time this fall.

I too am a painter applying for 2011 mfa programs. I applied last year to 9 schools, got rejected from 7, waitlisted at 1, and accepted at1. Decided to give it another go again this year, but I've got a lot of work to do...still havent decided on my list of schools. I'm interested in schools on the west coast, nyc, and possibly the uk...

I am applying for the first time and I am starting to get nervous. I want to stay in the west so I am applying to: PSU, PNCA, University of Washington, SFAI, and Mills College. I might apply to a few other places but have not decided yet. I mostly am trying to paint like crazy to get my portfolio ready, the more I have the better. I started my statement of Purpose today and it was harder then I thought.

I'm in the exact same boat! I've been painting my butt off since June, but I am worried I'm not going to make it. This is the worst stress

I got rejected from Columbia, VCU, Hunter, RISD, Tyler, USC, and UCLA. Waitlisted at MICA Hoffberger. I was accepted to U Wisconsin-Madison, which I visited thereafter. It seemed to be a really great program with strong faculty who I found very personable and I really liked (and the studio building there is great too--brand new), but Madison itself didn't turn me on a ton, and I didn't end up getting the funding I wanted, so I decided to wait and try again until I get into somewhere that I am really in love with.

Where did you apply to?? And which schools were you accepted to, and why did you decide not to go? I'm applying for the first time this fall.

Rutgers is a program on the rise. For painters it is becoming one of the top places to be.

I would recommend looking at Rutgers - many abstract painters in the student body and faculty - plus it's close to nyc and there is generous financial aid for TAs (ie full tuition remission + living stipends).

I'm also terrified about this process. Undergrad was painful enough it's awful going through it all again. I'm really struggling with my essay right now because I think it could make or break my application.

If people get into more "safety" schools do you think you'll wait another year and reapply to other schools or do you think you'll go to your safeties?

Also does anyone have any advice on the essay? I've got a basic outline but I want to avoid sounding cliche. Does anyone know what worked for people?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey hi...I am from India.

Do u hv any sample sops and recos..wud b gr8 if u all can help me..i am too naive as how to go about it infact everythin..

my id is nisha.iyer84@gmail.com

if poss plz can someone send a list of colleges too in wich u all intend to apply..

i m jus researchg on univ now..

tc

awaiting fr the reply at the earliest.

thanks

all the best to u all

Really? I visited MICA and although the building they have set aside for grads is nice, it was nothing compared to Tyler. Mica felt like an old rent controlled apartment, but still had a nice feeling of community. Tyler has an amazing new facility; 12' ceilings, natural light, sinks, ventilation, huge elevators... Tyler, in my opinion, has the best Painting/Drawing studios in the country by a good margin.

So... how many other people are starting to freak out?

I'm a procrastinator, I know, how odd for an artist. I have about 12 pieces done that I feel are worthy of inclusion in my MFA portfolio and about 8-10 more in progress. I haven't finished any of my essays, my statements or requested transcripts. : )

I'm not trying to 'brag' in any way, but I have to laugh at myself for the level of procrastination or I'll just end up being upset. I do think that I'll get it done, however. Two of my 5 school's deadlines are coming up on Dec. 14th and the rest are Jan 15th.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Best of luck to all.

Just to offer a hand to people...

I attended UC Davis for my undergrad, so I can answer most any questions about that program.

In researching my MFA I have visited the following schools:

Tyler,

MICA,

Hunter,

NYU,

U Penn,

SFAI,

SF State,

UC Berkeley,

UCLA,

Cal Long Beach.

If you have any questions about the funding/studios/programs at those schools, I will try to help as much as possible. It will also serve as a distraction from this mess that is my personal statement. MUCH harder that I thought to sum myself up on paper.

Again, good luck to you.