2022 Fall MIT EECS PhD Applicants

eecsdonut

Haven't heard anything back from them since app ddl. Accoding to their calender (http://calendars.mit.edu/eecs), the commitee is probably rounding up the admission decision these days, and could send out decisions any time. It seems that very few candidates have received interviews this year, idk if this is a good sign or bad :(

1 hour ago, fakechris said:

It seems that very few candidates have received interviews this year, idk if this is a good sign or bad :(

That's what I noticed as well. Perhaps they will admit students without conducting a lot of interviews this year. 

Edited by eecsdonut

Hey guys, yeah it looks like end of Jan / beginning of Feb they'll send out acceptances... just bc their last graduate round up event is Jan 28. https://calendars.mit.edu/eecs

Regarding the interviews, I had an informal interview with the POI last week... It was on zoom and they didn't say anything about when acceptances/ in person interviews will happen...

All we can do is wait now. Applying and building up the CV is the hard part, now we can just wait and relax! Good luck to everyone!

48 minutes ago, gizzhead said:

Hey guys, yeah it looks like end of Jan / beginning of Feb they'll send out acceptances... just bc their last graduate round up event is Jan 28. https://calendars.mit.edu/eecs

Regarding the interviews, I had an informal interview with the POI last week... It was on zoom and they didn't say anything about when acceptances/ in person interviews will happen...

All we can do is wait now. Applying and building up the CV is the hard part, now we can just wait and relax! Good luck to everyone!

Congrats on the interview! Can you share your discipline? Judging from the past few years it seems that there will be two rounds of acceptances. I think we can expect the first batch to roll out in about a week and the second one in early Feb. Not that I have any chance of getting in though... ?

In the webinar they held in November, they said interviews are not an official part of the admissions process but that individual PIs might reach out informally to get more information on an ad-hoc basis.

Regarding the calendar: some events are labeled "Grad Admission Round Up" and that's very clear, but do we also think the "EECS Round Up" is about admissions? Seems kind of weird to have two different names, but also these two kinds of meetings are only held within these two weeks... 

2 hours ago, LET_ME_IN_PLEASE said:

In the webinar they held in November, they said interviews are not an official part of the admissions process but that individual PIs might reach out informally to get more information on an ad-hoc basis.

That's good to know. So I guess we wait and see!

2 hours ago, LET_ME_IN_PLEASE said:

Regarding the calendar: some events are labeled "Grad Admission Round Up" and that's very clear, but do we also think the "EECS Round Up" is about admissions? Seems kind of weird to have two different names, but also these two kinds of meetings are only held within these two weeks... 

That's true but only the first three events are labeled "Grad Admission Round Up" and I highly doubt they'll round up admissions in just 2 days. My guess is that "EECS Round Up" events are the same as the other three.

I got what seemed like a very standard "We haven't forgotten about you" email from them on 1/7.

"Hello and good day!

We send our Happy New Year 2022 greetings to you!

For 2022, we wish for you to have a very successful year where you achieve many of your aspirations and goals.

As the pandemic continues, we know you are being challenged as we all are. But we also know that you are strong and courageous, and you will prevail!

We hope for you to remain healthy and safe. We wish for you a year with much joy and happiness, and much love.

Thank you for submitting your application for consideration to our PhD program in EECS at MIT. The graduate admissions committee is working hard reviewing the many applications that we received. We know you have many choices available to you as you consider where to attend graduate school. We are honored that you considered EECS at MIT as a possibility.

May you have a new year that is more than you expected!

With best wishes to you, and Happy New Year 2022!"

24 minutes ago, compgen99 said:

I got what seemed like a very standard "We haven't forgotten about you" email from them on 1/7.

"Hello and good day!

We send our Happy New Year 2022 greetings to you!

For 2022, we wish for you to have a very successful year where you achieve many of your aspirations and goals.

As the pandemic continues, we know you are being challenged as we all are. But we also know that you are strong and courageous, and you will prevail!

We hope for you to remain healthy and safe. We wish for you a year with much joy and happiness, and much love.

Thank you for submitting your application for consideration to our PhD program in EECS at MIT. The graduate admissions committee is working hard reviewing the many applications that we received. We know you have many choices available to you as you consider where to attend graduate school. We are honored that you considered EECS at MIT as a possibility.

May you have a new year that is more than you expected!

With best wishes to you, and Happy New Year 2022!"

There has been some discussion in reddit around this email. Several people, me included, did not get it. Don't know what to make of it though... ?

Edited by eecsdonut

27 minutes ago, eecsdonut said:

All "Round-Up" meetings (except the ones on 28 Jan) got removed from the calendar. Does that mean we should expect the first batch any day now? 

I noticed this yesterday as well (makes me wonder if someone from admissions is looking at these posts, or reading reddit). Last year, the first batch of decisions came out on Jan 26th, which was a Tuesday. Looking at last year's calendar, there were admissions meetings scheduled after the 26th and into the 1st week of Feb.

On Wednesday, they also announced the dates for the admitted students days (which will be virtual again this year).

IMO decisions will be sent next week.

8 minutes ago, LET_ME_IN_PLEASE said:

I was really hoping today would be the day, since Jan 26 was the decision day last year. My gut says they're more likely to announce in the beginning of the week, so my hopes for a decision this week are fading fast...

Do I seem anxious about it? ?

I'm just as anxious as you are right now! I was hoping today would be the day as well but turns out it's not... ? 

2 minutes ago, compgen99 said:

It's a massive program so it's probably not worth stressing about at this moment in time. It could take a little while to roll out.

That's so true but I doubt it will stop me from refreshing my application portal and email 100 times a minute... ? I just hope these GradCafe posts were not some kind of cruel troll (although it's likely).