low residencies?

katyh

Hello all,

I am thinking about applying to some low residency mfa programs this time around. This might be good for me because I am a little older, I have a solid studio practice and my career is going pretty well. Also, I am married and it's just very complicated to consider schools that involve a big move for me and my husband.

So I was just curious....do any of you guys have experience with these programs or have you heard any feedback about them? I am particularly interested in Bard and MICA's programs.

I am also curious if there is any type of stigma against these programs or if they are taken less seriously at all?

Thanks!

Katy

• 8 months later...

I dont think there is any stigma. You would not get as much teaching exp. at a low-res, but otherwise it just depends on the program.

Bard and MICA are pretty well-known schools. There are a lot of low-res programs though...

• 1 year later...

Hi Katy,

After spending a good portion of my undergraduate time researching low residency programs (and am personally in the act of preparing applications for several as we "speak"), I am pleased to agree with the other posters here. The low residency programs may not be as well known, but at least in my field, they are full, rigorous programs of the same caliber as high residency settings. The MFA programs I'm applying to all have 60 credit hour structures, with intensive, year-round dedication, classes, and reviews--the same as any standard structure. In the visual arts they are designed for self-motivated students who are already working on a significant thesis or body of work.

The downsides I can see are really matters of personal choice. A student wanting a "traditional" education experience, on campus, will not receive it. On the other hand, a working student or student wishing to branch out from a local perspective into a more diverse, nationwide perspective would find it useful. You won't get TA-ships at some of the universities, however some do still offer the chance to be a TA or GSI, even with the low res format.

Basically, they are the same, full-blown graduate programs you would expect, only with specialized schedules. In most cases you work with a local professor as well.

Professors I work with and have spoken to across the board do not feel there is any type of stigma associated with these kinds of programs. Perhaps the general public may not understand, but universities and professionals are typically aware of what the format means, and that it does not mean "easy" or "abbreviated."

For what it's worth! :-)

Here are a few schools that offer low res programs in the visual arts (in addition to those named above):

Maine College of Art and Design

Vermont College of Fine Arts

San Francisco Art Institute

MASS Art

Goddard College

Burlington College

Johnson State College

New York University

New programs are being added all the time, too!

Not necessarily true.

A number of low residency programs DO offer TA-ships and Graduate Assistantships, especially if they have regular residency or medium residency options already on campus. Some, of course, do not offer TA-ships at all. A prospective low res student just needs to do research to choose the university that offers the potential for Assistantships.

Edited to add:

Of course, if you opt for one of the Assistantships, you usually need to stay in the campus area for the duration of the semester.

Edited by Ren Adams

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you want to get a college teaching position at some point, do not go to a low residency program. But they're fine for other purposes.

Why?  Because they don't offer TA experience?

• 2 weeks later...

I attend the MICA low-residency program and we are offered TAships (GTIs) and opportunities to teach if we want to live in Baltimore for a semester (s). We also can work towards a teaching certificate after taking Pedagogy coursework. The professor who heads the Pedagogy courses received her Phd from Teachers College at Columbia and is really progressive with the curriculum and assisting us with preparing teaching portfolios, organizing guest speakers, etc. 

That being said, not all low-residencies are created equal. Bard is amazing. MICA is stellar. I've heard good things about MassArt and Maine. But, I would steer clear of AIB and some of the newer programs until they are a bit more seasoned. I was accepted and visited a lot of them and the alum and faculty work were iffy. :/

• 3 weeks later...

I am making my final decisions today re low residency programs. I've been watching the threads on GradCafe (especially here) and have all but decided to attend MICA. Littlenova, what you've said here speaks very highly for the program. Having said this, the SVA Art Practice program is attractive (but expensive), and the thought of spending the summer in NYC is seductive. Thoughts welcomed. MassArt is probably out because they seem really disorganized.

MICA MFA Studio Art: Accepted

SVA MFA Art Practice: Accepted

VCFA MFA Visual Art: Accepted

MassArt MFA 2D Provincetown: Interviewed early March...no word

Bard: Rejected

• 2 weeks later...

I am making my final decisions today re low residency programs. I've been watching the threads on GradCafe (especially here) and have all but decided to attend MICA. Littlenova, what you've said here speaks very highly for the program. Having said this, the SVA Art Practice program is attractive (but expensive), and the thought of spending the summer in NYC is seductive. Thoughts welcomed. MassArt is probably out because they seem really disorganized.

MICA MFA Studio Art: Accepted

SVA MFA Art Practice: Accepted

VCFA MFA Visual Art: Accepted

MassArt MFA 2D Provincetown: Interviewed early March...no word

Bard: Rejected

Green Painter, I also applied to the MassArt programs and was accepted into both the Summer MFA (3-year) and what *should* be the Provincetown residency (2-year), which was my first choice. The official letter indicated that the Provincetown residency is likely not going to happen this year, and they redirected me from Provincetown to something called the "Boston 2D low residency." This Boston low res is replacing Provincetown this year, unless something changes (or so they said).

I am going to detail my low residency MFA application processes and results here, in the hopes it will provide useful information for others considering these programs.

I should note that I consider the low res format to be an innovative approach to MFA pursuit, mimicking the kind of processes we'll encounter as professional artists pursuing residencies after we graduate.

MassArt

Background Info:

MassArt and MICA are the two highest ranked programs I applied to, for those that like to keep track of the US News ranking system. 've heard great things about the MassArt programs, and that their printmaking facilities are awesome. These, combined with research I did on current and past grads, pushed MassArt initially to the top of my list. I was most interested in the Provincetown residency, for format, instructors and location.

I applied to the Summer MFA program and Provincetown program. You must submit two separate applications if you apply to both (it's easy to manage in Slideroom, but I had to duplicate my entire portfolio one image at a time for the second program). You must select one program as your main choice.

• MassArt interviews prospective candidates. I received an interview notice via email only 5 days before the interview was to take place and I was only given options of time slots within the interview day. No options were given to select another day. MassArt expected me to fly there in person for an interview, which was far too expensive on such short notice. In lieu of an in-person interview, they give you the chance to do a Skype or phone interview, but you must physically mail your portfolio to them. The portfolio needed to be there by 9:00 am on the day of my interview, which left me little leeway time for shipping. I ended up sending the heavy package via FedEx Express, which was expensive, to ensure it arrived before the interview. They prefer Skype, but will allow you to use a phone if Skype is not available. The interview questions were focused mostly on my influences, my existing conceptual basis and what I thought about low residency programs / why I wanted low residency. At no point did they ask about my methods or mediums. The interview lasted about 20 minutes (or slightly less). The interview was very neutral--no indication that the interviewer was particularly interested, though I was later accepted into both programs. 

• MassArt was very slow to respond on all accounts. The traditional programs were notified weeks (sometimes a month) earlier than the low residency programs. When people were reporting they had been accepted or rejected in the main discussion forum here, I had heard nothing. They were slow to respond when I asked questions via email about administrative processes, compared to other schools. Most responses took several days, but they were not the slowest I dealt with. There are large spans of time where you hear nothing at all, leaving you to fear the worst. Very slow acceptance/rejection response time.

• I was always contacted via email, until officially accepted, in which case I received both an email and snail mail packet.

• Low residency programs are notoriously low on funding. Just expect that. But MassArt offered me NOTHING. Zero. No funding of any kind beyond the standard amount Stafford Loan. No assistantships possible, either.

• They expect a final decision of acceptance or declination by May 1, which is line with their slower response for low res.

• Edited to add: they have doubts about the Provincetown program running at all this year, so I was shifted into another low residence program in Boston, not advertised on the site.

MICA

Background Info:

MassArt and MICA are the two highest ranked programs I applied to, for those that like to keep track of the US News ranking system.

I applied to the Summer MFA program, which is technically medium-residency.

• MICA interviews prospective candidates. I received an interview notice well in advance of the prospective interview dates and I was allowed to choose my day and time from a range of dates. They do not require in-person interviews. You can do an interview via Skype or phone. My interview lasted almost an hour, covering a variety of topics. They seemed most interested in the future direction of my work, but also asked about my current conceptual basis. Very little was asked about influences and we spent a small amount of time talking about printmaking methods and why I used them. Interviewer was very friendly and supportive. I felt the interview went very well, yet I was wait listed. 

• I was initially wait listed, which is a black hole of waiting. I was told I could wait until even mid-July for results, or I could be accepted right away. I waited one month from being wait listed before receiving an acceptance. There was light contact from the school during the wait list time. Acceptance adheres to a pre-set schedule, which they stuck to. Rejection is faster. Wait list response takes longer and occurs after the accepts and rejects.

• MICA generally had fast response times and tended to give you lots of time to take care of things. 

• I was always contacted via email, until officially accepted, in which case I received both an email and snail mail packet.

• MICA offered the typical Stafford loan and also offered a nice scholarship. They do not offer jobs or assistantships, due to the intense time frame.

• I was notified for most things by email, but was formally called when accepted. They also send an acceptance package.

AIB - Art Institute of Boston

Background Info:

AIB reserves your in-person time for heavy critiques and classes, not for studio use. Relatively new program turns some people off, but I liked what I saw and found them to be incredibly helpful.

• AIB does not interview prospective students.

• AIB was fast to respond on all accounts. They notified me very quickly and provided both email and snail mail correspondence for everything that we talked about, from offer letters to detailed financial information. They are fast to send mail and even faster at email. The program director will call you to speak with you, in congratulations, and detail the way the program works. They provide a lot of information and you never feel left in the dark.

• Low residency programs are notoriously low on funding. Just expect that, but AIB offered me a scholarship merit award and an assistantship, plus the standard loans. They went above and beyond to secure additional funding for me. They also match funding offers from other schools.

• Overall, applying to AIB was a smooth, well organized experience. 

• They have an early acceptance / declination time frame, not unlike Cranbrook. They needed an answer from me before I had heard from most of the other schools.

Johnson State College / Vermont Studio Center

Background Info:

Home of the 30-day Vermont Studio Center artist residencies. 

• Does not require interviews. 

• JSC was very slow to respond on all accounts, the slowest of all schools I had contact with (except Goddard's final response time). Most emails take almost a week or more to get a response. 

• I was always contacted via email, until accepted, when I received a mailed packet. 

• Low residency programs are notoriously low on funding. Just expect that. JSC offered no funding of any kind. They do offer Teaching Assistantships for second years.

• Communication was friendly and informative, though slow.

Vermont College of Fine Art

Background Info:

Houses only low residency programs in Visual Arts, Writing and related. Famous for writing. 

• No Interviews required.

• Pretty fast response time. Staff is friendly and helpful, and often CCs other department members to provide additional help. Pretty fast acceptance/rejection time frame. 

• I was always contacted via email. Received snail mail packet when accepted. 

• Low residency programs are notoriously low on funding. Just expect that, but VCFA managed to dig up scholarship funding and also provides internships and fellowships in some cases. Did not hear back yet about possible assistantships. Very willing to help with funding where they can, though they cannot provide what a traditional in-person program can,
Edited by Ren Adams

Hi Ren, Thank you for the thoughtful response. This will be very useful for folks visiting this board in the future.

I was also accepted into the MassArt summer residency instead of Provincetown...kind of a bummer that they are not doing the Provincetown program this year. The 3.5 week format was a good fit for me. In any event, congrats on getting into MICA...I wish you all the best in your decision. I plan to attend MICA this summer and hope to see you there. I am really looking forward to the experience.

One other program for folks to seriously consider is SVA Applied Art...the faculty pulled out all the stops when interviewing me...David Ross is super cool (look him up on TED talks). I'll probably regret declining, but the expense and first year requirement to spend seven weeks in residency was a bit much for me.

I am typing on my IPhone with a single digit, so i'm gonna abreviate my closing. Thanks again for the thoughtful reply and wish you all the best, k

Hi Ren, Thank you for the thoughtful response. This will be very useful for folks visiting this board in the future.

I was also accepted into the MassArt summer residency instead of Provincetown...kind of a bummer that they are not doing the Provincetown program this year. The 3.5 week format was a good fit for me. In any event, congrats on getting into MICA...I wish you all the best in your decision. I plan to attend MICA this summer and hope to see you there. I am really looking forward to the experience.

One other program for folks to seriously consider is SVA Applied Art...the faculty pulled out all the stops when interviewing me...David Ross is super cool (look him up on TED talks). I'll probably regret declining, but the expense and first year requirement to spend seven weeks in residency was a bit much for me.

I am typing on my IPhone with a single digit, so i'm gonna abreviate my closing. Thanks again for the thoughtful reply and wish you all the best, k

Yeah--the Provincetown program sounds like it is officially off.

Thanks for sharing your info. Was SVA also a low residency?

I originally had MECA and SFAI on my list as well, but changed my mind about SFAI after doing research on student satisfaction levels and after speaking with two students who attended. The MECA program was intriguing, but the 8-week summer residencies would not have worked with my current situation. 

Edited to add:

That's awesome that you chose MICA!

DId they also offer you the $22,000 scholarship, broken into $5,500 per semester? Have you worked out any additional funding, besides a Stafford loan (if you don't mind me asking)? I found that with the Stafford loan and the scholarship, I'd still end up owing several thousand in tuition. I'm speaking with my potential mentor tomorrow, just to see if anything else can be worked out. I was told they don't offer assistantships. 

Edited by Ren Adams

Okay, so WELCOME!!!!!!!! to GreenPainter who chose MICA! And....Ren...Did you end up making a decision? I am graduating this year and would welcome any questions if you are still on the fence. You'll meet me in June. 

@RenAdams: Scholarships are based on varying factors and they vary by the year you are accepted (that year of funding) and merit. I have heard that the $5500 is a standard package for applicants in most years. That amount, like you noted, is renewable each year, but it pretty much stays the same. Your mentor won't have a say in that. All of the aid is dealt with through financial aid or the program director.

That being said, they DO offer GTIs Graduate Teaching Internships  (which equate to assistantships) if you move to Baltimore as a teaching assistant during the undergraduate school year. Other than that, there is NO TIME in the summer for anything else but, studio work and classes. :D They keep you extremely busy. (Did you guys see the BRAND SPANKIN' NEW facilities you'd be in for the summer? They had the grand opening this year. New gallery on the lower level, cafe, state of the arts studios. It's amazing.) And I have no reason to talk it up as I'm leaving and won't be able to enjoy them anymore after this summer!  :rolleyes:

As for the list of low-res schools you mentioned...It depends on what you do. MICA is very theoretical and has a rigorous critical theory/academic component. The only low res comparable to MICA's when I applied was Bard, but this was before SVA started theirs. In my opinion, there is no other low-res with the same reputation or resources. Our faculty mentors are brilliant. (...and we also have a faculty member from Bard that visits us every summer first!)

As far as debt goes, it is much cheaper to live in Baltimore for the summer than NYC or Boston, but it really boils down to what program best fits you. A few thousand won't make or break that decision, right? For me it was MICA or Bard. I chose MICA. Renee/Zlata have been my mentors. 

Best of luck to you both! Let me know if there is anything else I can do to welcome you or encourage you!!!

Edited by littlenova

Yeah--the Provincetown program sounds like it is officially off.

Thanks for sharing your info. Was SVA also a low residency?

I originally had MECA and SFAI on my list as well, but changed my mind about SFAI after doing research on student satisfaction levels and after speaking with two students who attended. The MECA program was intriguing, but the 8-week summer residencies would not have worked with my current situation. 

Edited to add:

That's awesome that you chose MICA!

DId they also offer you the $22,000 scholarship, broken into $5,500 per semester? Have you worked out any additional funding, besides a Stafford loan (if you don't mind me asking)? I found that with the Stafford loan and the scholarship, I'd still end up owing several thousand in tuition. I'm speaking with my potential mentor tomorrow, just to see if anything else can be worked out. I was told they don't offer assistantships. 

Hi Ren,

Apologies for the delayed response.  Yes, same scholarship as you.  I think littlenova offered the best answers to your questions about MICA.  

When I mentioned SVA, I meant to say MFA in Art Practice.  It is a low residency summer program in NYC: 7 weeks first summer, followed by two six week summers. Looks to be rigorous on the theoretical side, with emphasis on modern technology.  In any event, one of the current students was recently featured in Modern Painters as an emerging artist to watch.  Daniel Kunitz, editor in chief of Modern Painters, is listed as a lecturer in Art Practice -- so obviously the program is connected, if you want to pursue that sort of thing.  For me, MICA's rep and long running experience in the low residency area won the day for me.

I wish you the best in your decision!

Thanks for the detailed responses, littlenova and GreenPainter. I have spoken with both Renee and Zlata and had an excellent conversation with Zlata especially. She's excellent.

MICA definitely stands out. I've been recommending their program to many. 

I was originally wait listed at MICA after my interview with Renee, which initially broke my heart. They were #1 on my list. MassArt, which is also "high ranking" doesn't compare (for me, at least) in terms of their low residency program, staff, output, or even their handling of my application and interview.

I was called in from the wait list recently. In my second phone call, Zlata indicated that the program was worried that I was so focused on printmaking, that their printmaking facilities would disappoint me, or not be able to handle what I was doing. She was making sure I would be happy there. It sounded as though they factored this "print studio shortcoming" in early on, and bumped me to the wait list because of it (though she did not, at any time, say this directly).

I wish they had asked me if I was worried about the print facilities during my first interview. If I had been accepted in the first round, it may have changed my overall "taste." I let Zlata know that it would NOT be a problem and I'd be branching more into new media, anyway.

Edited to add:

I will be sharing details about my final decisions here in this thread, too. I think we've started quite a nice resource for future low residency students that would be nice to keep building. Our firsthand accounts, insights and experiences are incredibly helpful to each other and others, especially since other parts of the Visual Arts forum don't always discuss this kind of program. 

Edited by Ren Adams

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am looking at Low Residency Programs that best suit my time frame of being able to be in USA from mid or late June through the end of August., and have either no or short winter residencies. I have to fly in from Europe to attend the program and I work during the year. So far I am looking at some of the ones mentioned above and a few others. Here is my list. Bard, MASS art, MICA, SAIC, SFAI, and SVA. I am interested in developing my ideas in 2D art, but not limiting myself either. I am interested in exploring matched to ideas to medium/s. Here is some of my work https://www.behance.net/toddhainline . I would also like to hear more about student satisfaction regarding the programs (as discussed above, however the comments are a bit brief). From what I have read so far, the low residency program that pulls me most is SVA. I would appreciate any feedback on the above please. It would be great to find a program that fits the above mentioned items and is equally weighted between studio and theory. Thanks 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/10/2017 at 3:30 AM, KnottyArtist said:

Another new low-res MFA program since this thread was started is NHIA. Would love any thoughts and experiences from other forum members on this one.

thanks so much!

I am just starting this process as well and would love to hear about MECA and NHIA.