Funding in Australia

Does anyone know how much funding Australian universities give to international students? I'm looking into PhD Education programs at ANU, Melbourne, Sydney, and Monash... Tuition is really expensive and I'm not sure what the likelihood of getting a scholarship or funding would be as a international student.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends. But that's not helpful, so:

Most (not all) scholarships awarded by the university are for Aus/NZ citizens. However, the governemnt and private organisations offer funding for someone to do a project for them as a PhD. Likewise, professors in some fields have grant money that is specifically for the research expenses, tuition, and stipend, of PhD students.

For domestic students, the amount is usually comfortable - living expense of high AU$20 thousands is not uncommon. BUT, if you have to pay international fees, you'll probably have more trouble finding funding that covers this.

There are separate scholarships for living expenses and tuition fees. I'm an international student and my tuition fees are covered by a scholarship from the Australian government and living allowance is from the uni (which is about $22000). It is harder for international students to get funding than for a local student. PM me if you want to know more.

Take a look at the Australian Development Scholarships, Australian Endeavour Awards, etc. A lot of the funding opportunities depend on where you are from. Contact the individual universities as well to see if they offer funding, some unis do for certain courses, but it is fairly limited.