Developmental Applicants 2011

TheDude

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to vent:

AH! I want to hear back from schools. It's getting unbearable, but I'm confident that within my subfield of interest even rejections with Master's offers and funding wouldn't be terrible as it would be seen as work towards a Ph.D. and buy me some years of progress in a later Ph.D. program if that is the route I have to take. So, I'm not really nervous. I just want a short list! Hopefully I'll start to know what that list looks like by next week and the week after.

Just a fun note:

Out of curiosity I emailed George Mason about the status of acceptances. Their initial email after I submitted my application said I should expect to hear back about decisions in 6 weeks. I emailed them 6.5 weeks later just to see if they made those decisions and received a pretty awesomely rude response that in more flowery language told me to calm down because they had the holiday break, etc. Hey, your email said it not me!

Edited by musicforfun

I want to vent:

AH! I want to hear back from schools. It's getting unbearable, but I'm confident that within my subfield of interest even rejections with Master's offers and funding wouldn't be terrible as it would be seen as work towards a Ph.D. and buy me some years of progress in a later Ph.D. program if that is the route I have to take. So, I'm not really nervous. I just want a short list! Hopefully I'll start to know what that list looks like by next week and the week after.

Just a fun note:

Out of curiosity I emailed George Mason about the status of acceptances. Their initial email after I submitted my application said I should expect to hear back about decisions in 6 weeks. I emailed them 6.5 weeks later just to see if they made those decisions and received a pretty awesomely rude response that in more flowery language told me to calm down because they had the holiday break, etc. Hey, your email said it not me!

What schools did you apply to?

It seems that developmental programs are not taking a lot of interviews this year... I've only heard back from 1 school, but looking in the Cognitive or Social threads, its seems a lot of those applicants are getting over 3 interviews. Maybe its just a difference in program area?

I applied to: Lynch School of Education (BC), BU, Harvard Graduate School of Education, Tufts EP, George Mason, UConn, NYU Steindhart and Fordham.

I really only want to go to 3 of those.

I am not freaking out. I checked through the results page for the past 2 years and most of these programs have contacted people from the time-frame of now until week 2 of February. Three of those schools don't do interviews so it might take longer. I also was told yesterday that I need to update my CV with another poster publication and schools are starting to email me back and telling me to send along the new info. This must mean decisions have not been made.

What schools did you apply to?

It seems that developmental programs are not taking a lot of interviews this year... I've only heard back from 1 school, but looking in the Cognitive or Social threads, its seems a lot of those applicants are getting over 3 interviews. Maybe its just a difference in program area?

Edited by musicforfun

Just heard from the University of Iowa, if anyone is agonizing over when their invitations will be extended. This was the only developmental program I applied to and oddly, the first university I have heard anything from! Good luck everyone!

I was accepted to Santa Cruz.... not a peep from any others!

You wouldn't by any chance know how many students they're taking this year, or if they've sent out all of their acceptances yet? I interviewed with my POI a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything back yet.

Edited by ErinH

You wouldn't by any chance know how many students they're taking this year, or if they've sent out all of their acceptances yet? I interviewed with my POI a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything back yet.

Sent you a PM. But for everyone else, they didn't mention if they'd sent out all acceptances yet. Sounded like the committee was finished meeting tho. I was notified by my POI so probably different notification days based on POIs. Hope that helps!

No news about Minnesota at this end... has anyone heard anything from the Developmental Psychology PhD program at Cornell through the Human Development department?

Nope, not a peep form Cornell as far as I know. Last year they sent out notifications around late Feb-early March (according to the results page), so we'll probably be waiting a while.

Minnesota just popped up on the results page here, someone got rejected by the ICD via website. I've been refreshing ApplyYourself all day, going slightly crazy... wacko.gif

I noticed UCSC has already sent invites out on the results page.

Anyone hear from Boston College?

I applied to a prof that is listed in both Social & Developmental (im on the social side with some interest in working with faculty on the cog/neuro side), and a week ago he invited me to their interview day. their interview is on feb 14th, i'd say wait till then and see :)

As per the above poster, since Boston College's social interview date is the 14th, I would say that your chances (and mine) are dim if we haven't heard by now.

Hi everyone!

Was wondering if anyone has heard from boston college (I see a few other people are waiting) or columbia teachers college?

Are you talking about the Lynch School at BC or just BC psych department?

I have only seen one posting in the results section, which is suspect if you look at previous year's results. Had a minor freak out about NYU Steindhart posting last week....turns out they aren't sending invites until the end of this week.

I've said it before. If you look at the really great programs, in really high populated areas, there should be more than one posting for an institution. I remain calm for now!

I am pretty sure the NYU invites are already sent out, as I got mine a few days ago and it looked like a group email...