Developmental Applicants 2011

TheDude

We are all in the midst of studying for GREs and picking programs we'd like to attend. Let's keep each other posted as the whole progress moves forward. It'll give us a common place to commiserate when the nail chewing and sleepless nights come.

ME:

-In the midst of publishing and studying for the GRE. I hate these things. I've bought the Barron's math workbook and can get through massive chunks of it in a day or two. I'm hoping by just reading and trying problems repeatedly I can get my Quants in the 700s.

-Getting a list of schools finalized. I think I have most of them. Concentration: Educational Psych, Applied Developmental and Developmental. My research interests kind of intersect amongst the three sub-fields.

On the docket: Studying for the GRE every day for hours till my eyes get sour and then apologizing to my friends profusely for not being available. I can't mess this up, especially given I didn't apply last round when I could have, and I'm hoping with time they'll understand. It just feels like I can't experience summer because when I go somewhere 2 hours turns into 6 and then I am home at 10 with manuscript work to do and my GRE study gets pushed to the late hours when my eyes are doing their own thing. Nevertheless, I'm so excited this process has finally started. I'm secretly hoping I get in somewhere by next spring and can move on to this new phase in my life ASAP(I don't want to have to wait until next summer to move). I've been ready.

Let's keep a log going!!!!!!!

Edited by musicforfun

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there! I'm in the same boat-ish, except I am really mostly going for educational psych programs. Which programs are you applying for? I am applying to Masters programs at UW, UC Denver, and Portland State University for sure, and then trying to decide what other programs to apply for. There are a ton that look good, but I'm feeling pretty unconfident about my ability to get into the best ones and I don't want to blow a ton of money and time trying to apply to places that are too much of a reach.

I am so sick of studying for the GRE. I feel like no matter how much I do, I keep getting the same scores on all of my practice tests. : (

For schools I am thinking

UC schools: Santa Cruz and Davis. Davis is preferable.

I'm also looking in Colorado too, but at Boulder- doesn't that have a big Education Psych push?

BU, BC, Tufts. I'd like to apply to HGSE, but the work they do that I enjoy seems to partner with BU. I'd personally rather have Ph.D vs. Ed.D. attached to my title if I finish this project. Consequently, applying to HGSE might be silly.

I really have to finalize the list by this month. I'm waiting on the new APA book for Grad schools to be published. I think that comes in August.

Mainly, I'm just freaking out everyday in between GRE problems about whether or not this year I take off will be in vein.

In regards to the money vs. applying. I am certainly with you on this issue. I think I am going to play it safe and just bite the bullet and apply to whatever maximum will allow. I'm basically planning on dropping 800-1000$ on grad school apps if the fees are between 70-100$. I hate doing it, but in the end I'd rather have to live with certainties over what could have beens.

Cool to meet someone else here rylevertron.

Hey there! I'm in the same boat-ish, except I am really mostly going for educational psych programs. Which programs are you applying for? I am applying to Masters programs at UW, UC Denver, and Portland State University for sure, and then trying to decide what other programs to apply for. There are a ton that look good, but I'm feeling pretty unconfident about my ability to get into the best ones and I don't want to blow a ton of money and time trying to apply to places that are too much of a reach.

I am so sick of studying for the GRE. I feel like no matter how much I do, I keep getting the same scores on all of my practice tests. : (

Oh, that's awesome; UC Santa Cruz is the one purely developmental program I was considering applying to, although I probably won't in the end.

Boulder does have a good Ed Psych department, but the faculty at Denver is more closely aligned with my research interests.

I hear you about the taking the year off thing. Mine will definitely be very useful-- I'm doing a lot of relevant work and will have a lot more credentials under my belt by the time I'm applying because of the work that I'm doing currently, but I'm really worried that I still won't get in anywhere. I'm from an experimental sort of school that doesn't use grades as an evaluative tool, and while I'll have great recommendations and extracurricular type stuff, not having a GPA is seriously stressing me out. I'm taking the Psych subject test to try to demonstrate that I really do know the subject (yaaay, another GRE to study for!), but I don't know if that will really even make a difference.

It's good to meet you; it's nice to know other people who are going through this same process. : )

I'm interested in developmental neuroscience, so i guess i sorta fit here. I've been postponing applying to grad school for 2 years now, but this time, I mean it!

I've been working to make up for less-than-idea grades. Basically I am a great researcher but i wasnt so into the whole going to class thing as an early undergraduate. I think I'm making this sound worse than it is, but my overall was 3.37 with a 3.3 in psych. On the other hand, I was an RA for 2 years and completed an honor's thesis (yes, even YOU can graduate with distinction!). My father died early in my junior year and i basically gave up until i really got to work on my thesis and i realized "oh crap, I actually want to go to grad school." So I started working as a researcher at a clinical nonprofit working with kids with dev disabilities (namely FAS) as well as with kids in the fostercare system. I evaluated therapy programs and training programs, and i was asked to co-author a few grant proposals (BRAG WARNING: one of which was funded by NCTSN for $400,000!!!). Then i bailed because (a) state buget cuts led us to lay off 20% of staff and i didnt know how far it would go, and (B) I was offered a lab manager position at UChicago. So now i'm working as a lab manager/lead RA studying the effects of aging on memory in older adults and Alzheimers/ MCI patients.

I took the GRE last may. 590 verbal, 690 quant. Maybe i should have retaken it, but... well... i didnt and I'm not starting over again now.

I am interested in studying the effects of early, chronic childhood traumatic stress on self regulation and inhibition, as well as the role of resiliency as a moderating factor on long-term outcomes. I'm still compiling my list of schools, but 3 definites are UCBoulder, UCLA and WashU.

Hopefully we can help console each other throughout the process. I even convinced my BF to apply for an MFA so he's stuck in the process with me tongue.gif (it didnt take much convincing).

About studying for the GRE, just remember, if what you studied is even on the test, you wont remember it. Goodluck!!! wink.gif

• 5 months later...

Have any developmental psych applicants heard anything from Oregon yet? It seems like a few people have been contacted for interviews from the Social Psych dept, and definitely Clinical, but I haven't seen anything for Dev Psych people.

I also noticed that they changed the announcement on their webpage to say that they might have another round of interviews after the first round on Feb 4. I guess this kinda led me to believe maybe they had already contacted everyone for the first round.

Have any developmental psych applicants heard anything from Oregon yet? It seems like a few people have been contacted for interviews from the Social Psych dept, and definitely Clinical, but I haven't seen anything for Dev Psych people.

I also noticed that they changed the announcement on their webpage to say that they might have another round of interviews after the first round on Feb 4. I guess this kinda led me to believe maybe they had already contacted everyone for the first round.

No word from Oregon yet. It does seem to be cutting it close to Feb. 4th.

BTW, just curious- who is/are your POI(s)? Mine were Fisher and Pfeifer.

Edited by sjc86

I still think we have 2 weeks before the floodgates open for us. I bet the end of next week the trickling will start, it has a bit, but I still think per the results section of this site over the course of the last 2 years, that most of us won't hear anything until the last week in January.

Edited by musicforfun

No word from Oregon yet. It does seem to be cutting it close to Nov. 4th.

I just sent you a PM. And yes, it does seem to be cutting it close - esp to get a cheap flight from the east coast to Oregon in 3 weeks. But perhaps I'm getting way too far ahead of myself. :)

No word from Oregon yet. It does seem to be cutting it close to Feb. 4th.

Hi sjc96,

Just out of curiosity too - Is your POI at UCLA is Nim Tottenham by any chance? I still haven't heard a word from UCLA. start to think that I might be rejected..

Hi sjc96,

Just out of curiosity too - Is your POI at UCLA is Nim Tottenham by any chance? I still haven't heard a word from UCLA. start to think that I might be rejected..

I just PM'd you. Only 2 developmental results have been posted from UCLA, i wouldn't be too worried yet.