Developmental Applicants 2011

TheDude

I had applied to the lynch school of ed at BC. Good news is I heard from them today, apparently they called, but I also received an email.

The interview dates are feb 27-feb 28th.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i applied to the psych dept, not Lynn school. not sure if all invites have been sent out but the emails about a pre-interview social thingy with current grad students are sent to a mail list (aka group email).

Did you apply to Steinhardt? I heard from the department, as well as at least one other, that the Applied Psych interview invites have not been sent out, those are due this week. I'd think with a program that gets that volume of applicants more than one person would have posted in the results section for the program. If you are just talking about another department within NYU it might be very different.

I was also told by a PI that the entire Applied Psych department, irregardless of degree track, is only taking 4 Ph.D. students.

I won't cry if NYU doesn't want to interview me as there are 4 other schools I'd rather attend. If BC doesn't I might quiver a bit.

Yeah, Psych Development at Steinhardt. You're right though, I'm pretty sure they take very few students indeed...

BU invites went out.

I didn't get one, and noticed no one had posted results here, so I emailed them.

I'm bummed.

2/4 schools I want to attend are a no go.

Might be time to start thinking about a 9-5.

I'm really befuddled by what kind of research experience and grades it takes to be considered for interviews.

Were you actually rejected, or did you just not receive an invite? If you havent actually been rejected, there is still hope!

I haven't heard ANYTHING from 3 of the schools I applied to.

No invite, but the only have 2 spots this year. I'd imagine if I wasn't invited then I am not on any kind of shortlist unless every interviewee said no.

And FYI: Interview invites were sent out a while ago too.

Thats where schools should just tell us we're rejected (I think this is the case for at least 2 of the schools I haven't heard from).

I'm just trying to stay hopeful because... i've been grumpy for the past several months over this whole process and if it is all for naught, I may loose it. Not like "going postal" lose it, but like "I'm going to work on a lobster boat in Maine for the rest of my life".

No news about Minnesota at this end... has anyone heard anything from the Developmental Psychology PhD program at Cornell through the Human Development department?

Has anyone heard from Cornell yet? Good luck to everyone who is going through the interview process and/or waiting to hear back!

Has anyone heard from The University Of Denver?

According to the website, they invite applicants for an interview some time in Feb.

It is almost 16th of Feb. I wonder if I should consider myself being rejected because I have not gotten invitation from them yet.

Has anyone heard from Cornell yet? Good luck to everyone who is going through the interview process and/or waiting to hear back!

Just got a very cryptic "We appreciate your application to the Department of Human Development at Cornell University. We hope to be able to notify you of the decision regarding your application no later than April 15, 2011" today. Methinks this means waitlist, but I'm hoping it was just a useless mass email.

Anyone hear from columbia TC's developmental program? I am starting to assume that I got rejected or defered to their masters program.

Edited by GNC

Thanks for responding! I received the same email. I hope you are right and it was just an email everyone received, but I doubt it.

Just got a very cryptic "We appreciate your application to the Department of Human Development at Cornell University. We hope to be able to notify you of the decision regarding your application no later than April 15, 2011" today. Methinks this means waitlist, but I'm hoping it was just a useless mass email.

I got an email from them yesterday saying " We appreciate your application to the Department of Human Development at Cornell University. We hope to be able to notify you of the decision regarding your application no later than April 15, 2011. " . Then I emailed their secretary today to see if I am waitlisted but she replied "there's no waitlist at this time". Wut does that mean? Have you heard about anything?

No news about Minnesota at this end... has anyone heard anything from the Developmental Psychology PhD program at Cornell through the Human Development department?

I am sure their first batch of interviews are already sent out (about 12 applicants, I heard).....Finger crossed that they have other places in favor so we can jump off the waitlist~~~

Thanks for responding! I received the same email. I hope you are right and it was just an email everyone received, but I doubt it.

I emailed University of Michigan, Ann Arbor and found out that I am waitlisted for the Developmental Psychology program. I heard that they are making their decisions very soon (or have made their decision?). Has anyone heard any news from them so far? If you are accepted and not planning to join their program....I would appreciate it if you can let them know your choices soon. Thanks. ; )

I got an email from them yesterday saying " We appreciate your application to the Department of Human Development at Cornell University. We hope to be able to notify you of the decision regarding your application no later than April 15, 2011. " . Then I emailed their secretary today to see if I am waitlisted but she replied "there's no waitlist at this time". Wut does that mean? Have you heard about anything?

I got an invitiation va email that Cornell Dev Psy in Human Development is having interviews for a few people on the first week of March!

• 2 weeks later...

In the results section someone mentioned they got a phone call last week about their acceptance at boston college lynch school of ed for the applied developmental/ed psych program..

ughhhhhhh mellow.gifsleep.gifsad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone ever hear from UConn? I don't care because I am set to attend another program, but I never received any confirmation of materials in nor any subsequent notes like other programs. Maybe they weren't taking students, but if that is the case I'm going to write and bitch to get my 65$ back.

Edited by TheDude

• 2 weeks later...

So the time has come/is coming to decide and I am scared to make that final commitment ughhsad.gif

I feel for you, I'm struggling too. I've got it narrowed down to two programs, but I'm pretty sure I know which one I'll end up at. Just need to buckle down and commit to it.. ugh, stressful.

I feel for you, I'm struggling too. I've got it narrowed down to two programs, but I'm pretty sure I know which one I'll end up at. Just need to buckle down and commit to it.. ugh, stressful.

Seriously ughh.

For me personally it is between two programs as well. One is within 100 miles near my home and near my family and girlfriend of 5 years. I liked it, however it's reputation doesn't stand against the second program. The other which is a much much better program is the best option in terms of academics, financial aid... basically everything aside from being near the family and girlfriend since it is extremely far away. And I know what I need to do but I am just scared out my mind.

Edited by GNC

I am waiting to send out my commitment response and deposit. I was between 3 programs. In the end I knew where I was going, but the other offers got me thinking about what might be. For a couple weeks I contemplated getting the Masters from Harvard as employment opportunities seemed plentiful for graduates with just an M.A., and the name, sadly, holds a lot of clout the further outside of Cambridge you head. I could be happy with just a Masters because I don't feel a burn to get the Ph.D. I'm just not married to that idea. In the end I am taking the Ph.D. program that is 95 minutes from my family and girlfriend. It's fully funded.

My reasoning:

1) I worked my ass off in my undergrad and I deserve the funding.

2) If the program or advisor sucks then I can walk, and will do so with zero issue if it is for my personal happiness. I'll also have an M.A!

3) I know the principle components in life that make me happy: My family, my relationship with my S.O., being near some place I want to live....etc. Being near these things will contribute more to my overall happiness than being further away, which in turn will make me a more productive and successful graduate student. It's nice to know my plan B of coming back home would make me happy. I feel lucky to know these components at my age, and am somewhat concerned that going to grad school is rocking the boat.

4) Nothing prevents you from exploring what the job market will be like for you if you just had 2 years of grad school under your belt.

I'm thinking being 90 miles from everyone will allow me to sneak back home a couple weekends a month and have my girlfriend down a couple weekends, Holiday breaks off and most of the summer (only 9 months of funding for 20 hours of work). I'll probably need another 2K-3K in stafford loans to swing the travel, but it could be a lot worse, right? I don't think it has to be a situation that is detrimental to relationships if 2 people are willing to work through it. I have a pretty realistic expectation of what the work in grad school will entail. I've immersed myself in blogs, forums and articles slanted towards the negative side of things probably more than I should have. I still think I can make it work. After all, I'm being paid to be a student and researcher. It isn't like I need to worry about other jobs, etc. And there are couples that make it would with a lot less time together than what life as a grad student entails.

What I am struggling with is how far from campus I want to live. Everyone says close. However, I like to be away! I like silence and big fields with old houses. I can get that vibe about 30-40 miles from campus. This would put me closer to home and provide me with what I find palpable in living situations. I'd probably get more mileage from my stipend too. Maybe I just wait on commuting in until after the first year?

P.S., I'm kind of over proofreading these posts. My apologies are offered to you in advance.

Edited by TheDude

I'm still waiting to hear from UConn as well... Haven't heard from Loyola Chicago yet either. Anyone heard from them?

Did anyone ever hear from UConn? I don't care because I am set to attend another program, but I never received any confirmation of materials in nor any subsequent notes like other programs. Maybe they weren't taking students, but if that is the case I'm going to write and bitch to get my 65$ back.