ETH Zurich (ETHZ) 2022 - Admissions and ESOP/ETH-D decisions

dasdas

9 minutes ago, zuluzazu said:

Is doing a remote job along with ETH masters feasible. I have heard from my seniors that ETH coursework is quite tough to get good grades. 

That would definitely be tough but I wouldn't have to finish my studies in 2 years. I may extend it for a year. I think receiving ESOP is amazing and it implies that you should direct all you forces for studying and research and finish your studies in 2 years. fixed. If you don't get it I don't think  you have to do that. You will get connections, work on amazing projects it would open so many doors. After all getting degree from ETH is itself an achievement. Speaking for myself I think grades are not as important as  research and practical experience.  

Just now, azzazz said:

That would definitely be tough but I wouldn't have to finish my studies in 2 years. I may extend it for a year. I think receiving ESOP is amazing and it implies that you should direct all you forces for studying and research and finish your studies in 2 years. fixed. If you don't get it I don't think  you have to do that. You will get connections, work on amazing projects it would open so many doors. After all getting degree from ETH is itself an achievement. Speaking for myself I think grades are not as important as  research and practical experience.  

Yeah my aim is a PhD. So I plan to take up 3 years to complete my master with a whole year of research or research interns to improve my profile for PhD admissions

7 minutes ago, zuluzazu said:

Yeah my aim is a PhD. So I plan to take up 3 years to complete my master with a whole year of research or research interns to improve my profile for PhD admissions

Wish you good luck! Based on you previous research experience you would definitely succeed in doing so. I'm not sure about PhD. I would love to work on researches but PhD would take too much time for me, since I'm completely certain I don't want to stay in academia. I think I would prefer to have my own research lab or company. Too ambitious :D. So I would have to work some time.  

2 hours ago, azzazz said:

Sure.

I graduated with 4.0 CGPA top graduate of my program and top 4% of university. Most reputable university in my region. (World rank by QS 500 or so).

I worked on improving human learning with University of Michigan deep learning research team for a year.

Since summer I work as a junior data scientist.

Was student assistant for last 2 semesters.

Published 2 papers at soso journals.

Received government & university grant, student scholarship several times.

Have several coursera specialization certificates.

Average GRE: 166Q 155V 4.0 AWA.

I've some other stuff in CV but not worthy of mentioning here. That's pretty much all I have. No updates till now. Applied for ESOP too.

What about you ? 

2 hours ago, zuluzazu said:

I graduated with 9.69/10 (top of my class) from a top IIT in India.

I did an internship at USC Viterbi

Since summer have been working at a quant firm as a quant trader

Same was a TA in my last two sems

1 ICLR first author paper, 1 second author ACL paper and 1 second author CVPR oral paper

GRE: 170 Q 157 V and 3 AWA ( AWA is super low due to internet issues during exam ?)

Radio silence from ETH till now and have applied for ESOP in MSc Computer Science. Best of luck to you and hope both of us get in with ESOP. Only 1 of my LoR is very strong from a famous faculty at USC rest are not well known. Lets hope for the best

I also applied for ESOP Computer Science, but after reading your profiles I don't think I have chances ?

17 minutes ago, etsizur said:

I also applied for ESOP Computer Science, but after reading your profiles I don't think I have chances ?

Don't lose hope until decisions arrive. Strong preproposal will lift up your chance. And there so many other factors. BTW I think departments recommend candidates separately. ESOPs would be department wise I believe, so DS applicants  may not be competing with CS applicants.  (DS is joint program offered by several departments CS, MATH, ITET).  Hope this helps. Good luck!

13 hours ago, etsizur said:

Its never over till the fat lady sings. My pre-proposal is not very good and after submitting I found quite a few dumb mistakes in the proposal. So I have very low chance for ESOP. I just hope to get in the program.

15 minutes ago, ProgressEuphoric6683 said:

Do you know why they are sending rejections in batches? I am just curious. I thought that they can mass reject and accept everyone if the decision is made.

Thanks in advance!

General pattern I observed is, initially the "strong" rejections are sent out. Meaning people with low grades, requirement profiles not matching, low GRE etc. Than "strong" acceptances are sent out for really strong profiles. Afterwards, the discussion lasts for 1-2 weeks to fill the remaining slots.

2 hours ago, azzazz said:

I was so nervous when received email stating that decision was available. I thought it was rejection.  Now, I'm on cloud nine. So happy. 

result.png

Congrats. Did you hear anything about ESOP? Also did your withdraw button disappear a few days before?

Edited by zuluzazu

5 minutes ago, azzazz said:

Thank you! 

Withdraw button is still there here is the picture. No word about ESOP.

view.png

Congratss! I dont know why, but in my case the submission deadline field is empty! Did this date just appear after you got admitted? Also, anyone else outta here also having the submission deadline field empty or is it just me :(?

Ohh my bad! I just noticed its 30 apr 2022, so I guess it should be the acceptance deadline for admitted students. Right?

Edited by curiousExplorer

Just now, curiousExplorer said:

I dont know why, but in my case the submission deadline field is empty! Did this date just appear after you got admitted? Also, anyone else outta here also having the submission deadline field empty or is it just me :(?

I have a deadline to accept the offer. It appeared today. Don't worry.

1 minute ago, curiousExplorer said:

Congratss! I dont know why, but in my case the submission deadline field is empty! Did this date just appear after you got admitted? Also, anyone else outta here also having the submission deadline field empty or is it just me :(?

I have it empty. He has to submit whether he will accept the offer or not by that date. I hope it will appear if and once we are admitted

1 minute ago, zuluzazu said:

I have it empty. He has to submit whether he will accept the offer or not by that date. I hope it will appear if and once we are admitted

I will make just short correction. *She. (such stereotype I guess is caused by male dominance in the field :D)