ETH Zurich (ETHZ) 2022 - Admissions and ESOP/ETH-D decisions

dasdas

4 hours ago, StatBeast69 said:

Eastern european country. Top uni in my country. CS major.
Top GPA, GRE and TOEFL.
Multiple research experience and data science/swe internships. Highlight is a one-year work under a professor which resulted in second-authoring a paper currently under review for top conference.

Congratulations!!!

Looks only best of the best are admitted! 

Hey all! Anyone here waiting for the admissions decision for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics?

Also, if anyone's wondering about ESOP interviews for D-BIOL, the interview invitation can come just a few days before its scheduled date. Every department organizes their ESOP admissions independently, so experiences from different departments might not really apply to your cases (source: ETH students)

I wish everyone here best of luck and success in studies!

I just got an invitation for ESOP interview this morning. It is for the Environmental Science Master's program. If I have been invited for an ESOP interview, is it safe to think that they will invite me to the program too?

Wishing everyone the best of luck in this application season! :)

17 hours ago, anneit said:

I just got an invitation for ESOP interview this morning. It is for the Environmental Science Master's program. If I have been invited for an ESOP interview, is it safe to think that they will invite me to the program too?

Wishing everyone the best of luck in this application season! :)

Congratulations! I'm not sure but getting ESOP interview invitation means that you are competitive candidate and definitely have a strong profile. Getting into ETH Zurich is definitely difficult, approximately 27%. Getting ESOP scholarship is far more challenging like 0.5% if not less. Hope this helps. Wish you good luck!

14 hours ago, azzazz said:

Congratulations! I'm not sure but getting ESOP interview invitation means that you are competitive candidate and definitely have a strong profile. Getting into ETH Zurich is definitely difficult, approximately 27%. Getting ESOP scholarship is far more challenging like 0.5% if not less. Hope this helps. Wish you good luck!

Thank you so much for the kind wishes! I am really excited :) ETH is my dream school. I am also just really hopeful for some change in my life. COVID had a huge impact on my undergrad experience and my mental health in general (as for many people). It's time for a new chapter!!

Wishing you all the best with your admissions too. Which program did you apply to? Greetings from Canada :)

11 hours ago, anneit said:

Thank you so much for the kind wishes! I am really excited :) ETH is my dream school. I am also just really hopeful for some change in my life. COVID had a huge impact on my undergrad experience and my mental health in general (as for many people). It's time for a new chapter!!

Wishing you all the best with your admissions too. Which program did you apply to? Greetings from Canada :)

Thank you! I applied for MSc in Data Science. 

On 2/13/2022 at 3:08 PM, azzazz said:

Is the acceptance rate of 27% for the CS department or whole of ETH? If it is for whole of ETH then would you know whether it is lesser for the CS dept?

Edited by zuluzazu

55 minutes ago, zuluzazu said:

Can you share your profile if its not an issue?

Sure.

I graduated with 4.0 CGPA top graduate of my program and top 4% of university. Most reputable university in my region. (World rank by QS 500 or so).

I worked on improving human learning with University of Michigan deep learning research team for a year.

Since summer I work as a junior data scientist.

Was student assistant for last 2 semesters.

Published 2 papers at soso journals.

Received government & university grant, student scholarship several times.

Have several coursera specialization certificates.

Average GRE: 166Q 155V 4.0 AWA.

I've some other stuff in CV but not worthy of mentioning here. That's pretty much all I have. No updates till now. Applied for ESOP too.

What about you ? 

1 minute ago, azzazz said:

Sure.

I graduated with 4.0 CGPA top graduate of my program and top 4% of university. Most reputable university in my region. (World rank by QS 500 or so).

I worked on improving human learning with University of Michigan deep learning research team for a year.

Since summer I work as a junior data scientist.

Was student assistant for last 2 semesters.

Published 2 papers at soso journals.

Received government & university grant, student scholarship several times.

Have several coursera specialization certificates.

Average GRE: 166Q 155V 4.0 AWA.

I've some other stuff in CV but not worthy of mentioning here. That's pretty much all I have. No updates till now. Applied for ESOP too.

What about you ? 

I graduated with 9.69/10 (top of my class) from a top IIT in India.

I did an internship at USC Viterbi

Since summer have been working at a quant firm as a quant trader

Same was a TA in my last two sems

1 ICLR first author paper, 1 second author ACL paper and 1 second author CVPR oral paper

GRE: 170 Q 157 V and 3 AWA ( AWA is super low due to internet issues during exam ?)

Radio silence from ETH till now and have applied for ESOP in MSc Computer Science. Best of luck to you and hope both of us get in with ESOP. Only 1 of my LoR is very strong from a famous faculty at USC rest are not well known. Lets hope for the best

1 minute ago, zuluzazu said:

I graduated with 9.69/10 (top of my class) from a top IIT in India.

I did an internship at USC Viterbi

Since summer have been working at a quant firm as a quant trader

Same was a TA in my last two sems

1 ICLR first author paper, 1 second author ACL paper and 1 second author CVPR oral paper

GRE: 170 Q 157 V and 3 AWA ( AWA is super low due to internet issues during exam ?)

Radio silence from ETH till now and have applied for ESOP in MSc Computer Science. Best of luck to you and hope both of us get in with ESOP. Only 1 of my LoR is very strong from a famous faculty at USC rest are not well known. Lets hope for the best

Your profile is amazing! Especially your research experience. Don't worry too much about GRE. I think CS department in general is slower. You definitely deserve ESOP. 

I think at least studying at ETH Zurich is affordable and I'm thinking to find some remote job while studying at ETH as an alternative :D.

Your profile is amazing! Especially your research experience. Don't worry too much about GRE. I think CS department in general is slower. You definitely deserve ESOP. 

I think at least studying at ETH Zurich is affordable and I'm thinking to find some remote job while studying at ETH as an alternative :D.

Yeah ETH is quite affordable as the tuition fees is quite less. I have a MSML admit from CMU but dont think I will go with it if I get in ETH even without ESOP. In CMU my expenses would be around 100k USD which is very very costly.

Just now, zuluzazu said:

Yeah ETH is quite affordable as the tuition fees is quite less. I have a MSML admit from CMU but dont think I will go with it if I get in ETH even without ESOP. In CMU my expenses would be around 100k USD which is very very costly.

I applied for MPhil in Machine Learning and Machine Intelligence at Cambridge. I had an interview and was recommended waiting for PAO final decision. Applied for Gates Cambridge scholarship. I just gave a shot it's like mission impossible. Only 0.3% get it.

5 minutes ago, azzazz said:

Is doing a remote job along with ETH masters feasible. I have heard from my seniors that ETH coursework is quite tough to get good grades. 

I applied for MPhil in Machine Learning and Machine Intelligence at Cambridge. I had an interview and was recommended waiting for PAO final decision. Applied for Gates Cambridge scholarship. I just gave a shot it's like mission impossible. Only 0.3% get it.

Did you apply to any US unis? Is ETH your first choice?

Just now, zuluzazu said:

Did you apply to any US unis? Is ETH your first choice?

I was thinking but I didn't. I prefer EU. I think EU is more peaceful place much closer to my country. I'm still not completely certain whether I prefer ETH or Cambridge. In my country there is a full scholarship for master's degree for students who wonna study abroad and I plan to apply for it.  Cost doesn't matter. I also consider applying for TUM if none of them will work out.