Policy School: Why do students find international issues more interesting than domestic ones?

When I think back to my own policy school experience and that of policy school graduates (in the US), the thing that really bothers me is that by in large there is much more excitement (among the students) for internationally rooted issues than visible issues across the street. By this, I mean there is much more prestige, excitement, and interest in topics like refugees and international development. Granted there are some notable bases of students who care about neighborhood oriented domestic issues like homelessness, food safety, or infrastructure, the level of interest is simply not as high.

Just look at the policy school message boards and you'll find that it is overwhelmingly populated with those interested in international development/refugees. What doesn't make sense for me is that the jobs that lead to these interests don't exactly pay well, can involve enduring hardship to difficult to reach places, and don't exactly receive much media attention - yet there is still a persistent stream of interest. 

In contrast, the jobs connected with those domestic issues have much better compensation and impact trajectories, but that is comparatively not as much interest. Its almost as if, people deprioritize the community they live in. 

Any thoughts? What am I missing here?

For me, it's because my parents are immigrant refugees and I am rooted with those abroad in ways (spiritually, ethnically, etc.) that others may find hard to understand even though I was born and raised in the states. For others with a different background, I have no idea why, especially if they come from communities that need as much improvement as communities abroad. I am also curious about that as well. 

Charles Dickens coined the term "telescopic philanthropy" to describe this phenomenon nearly two centuries ago.  This is prevalent even within the domestic sphere among the urban bien pensant 'any music but country music' crowd.  It speaks to the prejudices and moral narcissism of those of a certain class (or those with pretensions thereto).

Edited by Acrimonia

2 hours ago, Yengsterhoo said:

For me, it's because my parents are immigrant refugees and I am rooted with those abroad in ways (spiritually, ethnically, etc.) that others may find hard to understand even though I was born and raised in the states. For others with a different background, I have no idea why, especially if they come from communities that need as much improvement as communities abroad. I am also curious about that as well. 

I too am born to immigrant refugees, but born and raised in America, but I feel more kinship to local issues because America has been kind to me and my family. Is your connection with your international focus over domestic due to how you have not been thrilled with your American experience?

23 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

When I think back to my own policy school experience and that of policy school graduates (in the US), the thing that really bothers me is that by in large there is much more excitement (among the students) for internationally rooted issues than visible issues across the street. By this, I mean there is much more prestige, excitement, and interest in topics like refugees and international development. Granted there are some notable bases of students who care about neighborhood oriented domestic issues like homelessness, food safety, or infrastructure, the level of interest is simply not as high.

Just look at the policy school message boards and you'll find that it is overwhelmingly populated with those interested in international development/refugees. What doesn't make sense for me is that the jobs that lead to these interests don't exactly pay well, can involve enduring hardship to difficult to reach places, and don't exactly receive much media attention - yet there is still a persistent stream of interest. 

In contrast, the jobs connected with those domestic issues have much better compensation and impact trajectories, but that is comparatively not as much interest. Its almost as if, people deprioritize the community they live in. 

Any thoughts? What am I missing here?

I figured I'd offer my input since I work in international development and have become familiar with many different "why this career" stories, including my own. In short, I think people are attracted to international work because it sounds more interesting, especially for young people starting their careers. This isn't something exclusive to policy--"international law" and "international business" are known as very popular sub-disciplines and many JD and MBA programs market the hell out of those because they know they attract students. The idea of working internationally offers a sense of adventure, exploration, and learning about new ways of life you would not be exposed to if you work domestically. These are things that are very important to young people, who tend to be curious and looking to expand their horizons. 

That being said, many of the people I know who work in international development care very much about domestic issues--often even more than what they are doing for their career. I have known countless people who have transitioned from international to domestic policy because of this. My colleagues are also some of the most civically engaged people I know and do a lot of work on domestic issues in addition to their day jobs. We all have room to change our minds and I believe that people's chosen programs of study are not a good indicator of the issues they care most about or how their career paths will shape up. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 5:00 AM, Silva said:

Well it is quite clear. Some people only care about themselves and their people (small minded) , while others are more compassionate and care about eradicating global issues that can affect anyone. We are all humans, so let deal with issues affecting humans not just The Chinese, or the Americans. Then you will find people in the middle or those who are just dedicated to a cause and that cause might only exit in one location - that is completely fine and normal :)

Secondly, we are studying policy. If you want to be rich, go do an MBA. Simple. Its not about the money, it is about the mission and the passion and the fact that you are really bringing about real change in this world. Based on the way you write and the view point you have expressed, you sound like a person that only cares about their country, earning money, and doing work that get you the spotlight. This is clear because you seem to be struggling to understand the other side, the compassionate side .

And that is okay. I recommend challenging yourself to learn issues that dont impact you or your community and see if you can propose ideas and solutions. Challenge yourself. Using Ukraine as an example, anyone could become a refugee and Ukraine's problem could easily be your problem if you are neighboring country 

I hope you improve upon your I am more holly than other people mindset after some time in grad school.

On 4/20/2022 at 5:00 AM, Silva said:

Well it is quite clear. Some people only care about themselves and their people (small minded) , while others are more compassionate and care about eradicating global issues that can affect anyone. We are all humans, so let deal with issues affecting humans not just The Chinese, or the Americans. Then you will find people in the middle or those who are just dedicated to a cause and that cause might only exit in one location - that is completely fine and normal :)

Secondly, we are studying policy. If you want to be rich, go do an MBA. Simple. Its not about the money, it is about the mission and the passion and the fact that you are really bringing about real change in this world. Based on the way you write and the view point you have expressed, you sound like a person that only cares about their country, earning money, and doing work that get you the spotlight. This is clear because you seem to be struggling to understand the other side, the compassionate side .

And that is okay. I recommend challenging yourself to learn issues that dont impact you or your community and see if you can propose ideas and solutions. Challenge yourself. Using Ukraine as an example, anyone could become a refugee and Ukraine's problem could easily be your problem if you are neighboring country 

I don't think GradSchoolGrad meant to imply there was something inherently wrong or foolish about working in international policy. They merely are curious why there is such a difference in the prestige or interest afforded to the field relative to domestic issues, when there is a great deal of work needed locally. There are many communities in the US whose challenges are not afforded a great deal of attention or organizations whose work, while important, is seen as less ~sexy~ than that at the World Bank or JPAL. I imagine they are mostly curious about this attitude among Americans studying at American institutions, as of course it makes sense for international students to be more interested in non-US contexts. For many Americans, there is an unfortunate misconception that poverty and injustice are things that merely happen elsewhere.

You are the only one in this discussion who seems to bringing an air of moral superiority to the discussion. Choosing to work on domestic issues does not make one discompassionate to global issues or "small minded".  I mentioned in my earlier post that those with more years out of college may be more drawn to domestic issues. In my experience, people who've been out of college for more time approach policy with a different sense of scale. There may be a specific issue, law, or system that has caught their attention and they want to gain the skills to tackle it and do so with impact. Those coming into policy with less work experience are more likely to have more abstract interests, like global poverty. As noble as these interests may seem, the challenge for these students is to find their nook of specificity in that space so that their work can actually achieve something. There is, of course, nothing inherently better or worse about either path.

You are right that you have no obligation to change others' perception of you, and I commend your funding offers. But do remember that speaks only to a good first impression. If you'd like to continue making good impressions academically and professionally, I'd recommend thinking a little bit about how your first response might come off as a bit arrogant. And perhaps think about how that whiff of arrogance in your response might have answered GradSchoolGrad's question more aptly than you intended.

Edited by bartlebeedrill