Evaluate My Profile...What are my chances?

stefunny

Hello everyone,

I'm finishing up my applications for Spring 2011 admission. I'm applying to a few "safe schools" but also to very competitive programs (Public Administration/National Security are the program I'm applying for). I wanted to know what some of you thought about my chances of getting accepted into a top school. I'm a 20 year old senior graduating in December (I graduated with an Associates Degree in High School so I'm a little ahead) with a Criminology and Spanish Bachelors of Arts. I was a police cadet for four years, an intern at the Mayor's Office for 3 years, and I'm currently an intern for the Secret Service. I have great letters of recommendation and a 3.3 GPA. My Biggest problem is my GRE score, it's a 1030, I'm not very proud of it s I do plan on taking it again but I'm just not very good at these tests. I'm also Hispanic and I've heard that helps sometimes. I was the first person in my family to attend college and have tons of hours of community service, and I'm on a full scholarship at the moment. I'm involved in various organizations, and participate in the Student Government Association. I'm also Homecoming Chair this year which is definitely a big deal at my university. So that's me :) Let me know what you guys think...Does anyone think my GRE scores will effect me too much? Do I have a chance at schools like Georgetown, American, GWU, or NYU? Thanks!

Is it just me, or did you copy/paste the exact same post to three different subsections?

I did, people look at different subsections and I'm trying to get as many replys as possible....Sorry if that bothers you

I did, people look at different subsections and I'm trying to get as many replys as possible....Sorry if that bothers you

You shouldn't have to make threads in multiple subsections. You will get responses and people generally get annoyed of duplicate threads posted in multiple sections. It's best to keep all replies in just one thread. I tend to ignore duplicate threads.

Edited by joro

I think that you have good work experience for your field and that will trump a lot of negatives. However, in your shoes I would study hard and give the GRE one more shot. For a decent shot at a good school you want to get at least 1200, though 1400 would be better. You aren't that far off of 1200 though, I think that's definitely doable.

Try not to bank on being Hispanic to get you in. Apply thinking that it doesn't matter at all. I agree with UnlikelyGrad and I would shoot for something about 1200 to be least somewhat competitive. I'd grab the Barron's and Princeton Review GRE books for studying.