What if I don't get accepted into any programs?

alexkoch22

Question

I have gotten 2/4 rejections and I think the 3rd will also be a no. I know I want to go to grad school and pursue my Ph.d, but what if I never get in? I was on academic probation my freshman year and have worked my way up to teaching the course. It just heavily affected my cumulative gpa :(. I know I will reapply if not accepted but I'm very nervous.

I'm getting my Anthropology and German degree and applied to UTK, UofM, IU, and Rutgers.

UTK, U of M said no for Anthro

I haven't heard from any others

11 answers to this question

Same! I got rejected from my safety uni. I have another 9 results to come, but I can guess the results already. 

It's super sad. My undergrad gpa is 4/4, and applied for direct phd positions. also, have some teaching experience. I will apply for the next year with better GRE scores, and maybe doing some research to add value to my cv.

It just doesn't make sense to me. 

I was too optimistic i guess.

This is also my worry but I try to remember that this forum reflects the most dedicated of us - people getting into Top 10s and Ivy Leagues like it was just a whim that they applied isn't really what the reality of all applicants looks like. We can't forget that there are also people saying "fifth application cycle and FINALLY got in somewhere!" so you never really know what your luck will be, what the circumstances of this particular cycle will be. Maybe you don't get in! It'll suck and be so heartbreaking! But you will also be among other very smart and very talented scholars with crazy good research ideas who did not get in anywhere either. It is not a reflection of you as a person, your skills, or your dedication to the field. All we can do is let the heartbreak run its course, figure out our life for the next 365 days, and then wait for the next app cycle to begin. Your applications will only get better over time.

Edited by serpentstone
Hope this helps just a smidge. I'm trying to hold onto hope while also remembering that life will go on if I don't get in!

4 minutes ago, serpentstone said:

This is also my worry but I try to remember that this forum reflects the most dedicated of us - people getting into Top 10s and Ivy Leagues like it was just a whim that they applied isn't really what the reality of all applicants looks like. We can't forget that there are also people saying "fifth application cycle and FINALLY got in somewhere!" so you never really know what your luck will be, what the circumstances of this particular cycle will be. Maybe you don't get in! It'll suck and be so heartbreaking! But you will also be among other very smart and very talented scholars with crazy good research ideas who did not get in anywhere either. It is not a reflection of you as a person, your skills, or your dedication to the field. All we can do is let the heartbreak run its course, figure out our life for the next 365 days, and then wait for the next app cycle to begin. Your applications will only get better over time.

This was very well written and does make me feel better! Hopefully, we all don't have to do 5 cycles!

On 2/15/2022 at 7:46 AM, Mostafaa said:

Same! I got rejected from my safety uni. I have another 9 results to come, but I can guess the results already. 

It's super sad. My undergrad gpa is 4/4, and applied for direct phd positions. also, have some teaching experience. I will apply for the next year with better GRE scores, and maybe doing some research to add value to my cv.

It just doesn't make sense to me. 

I was too optimistic i guess.

Similar situation, didn't get a 4/4 GPA but did have many (pretty good, I believe) research/industry experiences.

This is the second time I have applied. The first time was all rejected, this time (all schools are different but) might be the same situation (still waiting for two programs but don't think it's gonna work, since all three that came out were rejections)

My problem is that, I spent lots of time doing intern & research (and there were some bad planning, some issues) thus haven't finished my undergrad yet. Those at my age have completed their master's (some might even finish their PhDs)

It's such a stress, especially for most of the research work I did, I didn't get any pay. And I'm indeed wondering if I really want to do research or just want to earn the title of being called "Dr." at a fancy school.

I know everyone has their own pace, but...I was born in a country (culture) where you have to be quick and fast to get the most and climb the social ladder. I know I will need to take care of my parents and my family in the future, but now I'm just wasting my parents' money on super expensive tuition (I'm an international student) and some stupid applications that only wish me good luck in future endeavors. 

(honestly, I contacted those POIs before I applied for all the programs, and they all showed positive responses, which made me believe that this could work out...but it didn't and I just felt betrayed and cheated...haha it's funny, this feeling is like you love someone and believe someone loves you, but it all turns out to be your fantasy, they don't and they never like you)

I understand everything you just said. One of my major problems is my financial situation too. I already have spent too much on uni applications without any results, and this makes me more concerned for  the next cycle. What if I make my cv more competitive and still not a chance? I would become literally broke( I am also an international student)

Another thing is you just mentioned about being in touch with your POIs has happened to me too?? 

It just makes me crazy, I had 4 zoom meeting with my PoIs in 4 different universities before even applying, and they all looked positive about me( at least I thought so). What i think is that at least in my major( psychology) emailing PoIs is not that essential since admissions are highly commitee-centered, and a single professor can not do much for us.

HOwever, i still want to reapply for the next cycle, i just can't stop.

Hope you hear some good news,

Love?

On 2/24/2022 at 6:48 PM, try2survive said:

Similar situation, didn't get a 4/4 GPA but did have many (pretty good, I believe) research/industry experiences.

This is the second time I have applied. The first time was all rejected, this time (all schools are different but) might be the same situation (still waiting for two programs but don't think it's gonna work, since all three that came out were rejections)

My problem is that, I spent lots of time doing intern & research (and there were some bad planning, some issues) thus haven't finished my undergrad yet. Those at my age have completed their master's (some might even finish their PhDs)

It's such a stress, especially for most of the research work I did, I didn't get any pay. And I'm indeed wondering if I really want to do research or just want to earn the title of being called "Dr." at a fancy school.

I know everyone has their own pace, but...I was born in a country (culture) where you have to be quick and fast to get the most and climb the social ladder. I know I will need to take care of my parents and my family in the future, but now I'm just wasting my parents' money on super expensive tuition (I'm an international student) and some stupid applications that only wish me good luck in future endeavors. 

(honestly, I contacted those POIs before I applied for all the programs, and they all showed positive responses, which made me believe that this could work out...but it didn't and I just felt betrayed and cheated...haha it's funny, this feeling is like you love someone and believe someone loves you, but it all turns out to be your fantasy, they don't and they never like you)

I understand everything you just said. One of my major problems is my financial situation too. I already have spent too much on uni applications without any results, and this makes me more concerned for the next cycle. What if I make my cv more competitive and still not a chance? I would become literally broke( I am also an international student)

Another thing is you just mentioned about being in touch with your POIs has happened to me too?? 

It just makes me crazy, I had 4 zoom meeting with my PoIs in 4 different universities before even applying, and they all looked positive about me( at least I thought so). What i think is that at least in my major( psychology) emailing PoIs is not that essential since admissions are highly commitee-centered, and a single professor can not do much for us.

HOwever, i still want to reapply for the next cycle, i just can't stop.

Hope you hear some good news,

Love?

No file chosen

Max total size: 500 kB

Follow topic

Go to question listing

Next unread question

Privacy Policy Contact Us Write For Us

The GradCafe