University of Washington - Seattle 2008

samantha20

Those who are rejected receive emails, too. I would hate to have you get your hopes up at the sight of an email from U Dub, only to be crushed by the erroneousness of assuming that receipt of an email is an indication you are accepted.

I forgot to add what those rejected will receive.

Seattle is not number one or in the top three in the list of the schools I applied to, but I want to know whether I was accepted or rejected as soon as possible.

Did you apply as well?

To the grad school, yes, but not in history.

I just hate to see people get their hopes up. Rejections are crushing enough -- I got my first one on Valentine's Day, and my GF was less than impressed. I had to go outside and scream profanities for a few minutes, so I was not moping around all evening.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got home from being out of town last week and found a letter of admission from UW in my mailbox... but no funding the first year. :( Would/is anyone considering going to UW unfunded, or is this crazy? It is among my top choices, so it's now in the running against a lesser ranked school which has offered me a fully funded spot. I was leaning towards that school until now, I am wondering if I should at least consider the merits of having a PhD from UW? My specialty is Western history, especially of the 19th century... any thoughts? Please share any knowledge about UW that you can, I's really appreciate it! Thanks!

Yes, it sounded like it's possible - students apparently compete for TAships (and other funding?) each Spring semester for the following year. I already have hefty loans from an M.A. though, so money is a really important factor here. I just can't decide if the program justifies the extra cost or not!

Do you mind if I ask you the name of the other school that offered you admission?

I suggest that you talk with your professors about your dilemma and ask them their opinion on where you should go. They probably know better than any of us the strengths and weaknesses of the programs you applied to.

Best wishes on your decision!

Nebraska and Arizona. Both have faculty strong in history of the American West (but as an overall department, my understanding is that UW is higher ranked)... I will definitely talk to my professors and see what they say, though none specialize in this area of history.