San Antonio, TX

deadcoder

Dear all,

I need some help from you guys... I have admitted at the University of Texas at San Antonio, two days ago they sent the acceptance letter, they offered me a financial aid of 18K per year, with waiver of tuition and other fees. Is there anyone from San Antonio? I want to know about the living cost, weather, transport etc of San Antonio. Do you think, $1500 is enough to pass a month? I haven

I've lived in San Antonio for about 12 years through high school. I don't know a lot about the UTSA atmosphere or the program you mentioned.

The city is very, very spread out (area wise) and a car is a must. Public transportation is spotty, you could probably get by on the bus but you'd feel very restricted. The cost of living is much lower than average for a city it's size. Obvsiouly very hot in the summer.

You could get a pretty rockin' 1 bdr apartment for under $700 a month... probably closer to $600 or $550. As far as the school, it doesn't have much of a campus feel and (at least used to be) a commuter school.

I spent my whole life in San Antonio up until I went off to undergrad. I agree with the above poster on all points. Here's my two cents.

The summers are hot and dry, often breaking 100 degrees. The winters are short, probably only really cold in February for about week or two (30-35 degrees as the low). Don't be surprised if you're still sporting shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops around Christmas. Mid to high 70's are not uncommon around then.

I dont know much about the public transportation, but I've never seen a bus outside of downtown San Antonio though there are bus stops. A car is a must because of how spread out the city is. UTSA is right next to Fiesta Texas, which means it's close to being out in the middle of nowhere. Though there has been a recent pickup in development around the area. Shopping centers are popping up everywhere along 1604.

The cost of living is definitely lower compared to the other Texas cities (Dallas, Austin, Houston) so it should be easy to find a great apartment within you budget.

thank you so much sosh n klew12 for giving me such a valuable information. Transportation system really demoralized me ? I thought its a great place and I've also seen some of its beautiful places like River Walk....

Now.. I've to think it again. It's not possible for me to buy a car, at least in the 1st year.. as I'm from Asia. Do you have any idea about Still Water, Oklahoma??? I've also got accepted at Oklahoma State University. Please give me some info if you have one...

thank you again to all of you.. and specially thegradcafe forum. We will always be grateful to you...

• 4 years later...

Hi!

I just accepted a position in the Fall 2012 Communicative Sciences and Disorders masters program at OLLU. Has anyone else accepted? I am from California and have not had a chance to visit the school or Texas! Is anyone familiar with the school/program/area? Trying to decide where to live etc. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated:)

Thx!

• 1 month later...

Any advice for someone moving to San Antonio. I have lived in California my whole life but will be moving to SA for the next 2 years to attend grad school in communicative sciences and disorders. Trying to find out good areas to live. Looking to live around students/young professionals.

Thanks!!!!

San Antonio may have a smaller metro area compared to cities in California, but the city is still large. What university are you attending, BTW? Trinity? UTSA? If you wish to live in areas that have young people and/or near some of the universities, you could try to live in the Medical area or in the 1604/I-10 area. Stay away from the south side.

• 11 months later...

Hello, I am a PhD student joining UTSA for Fall 2013 with my spouse. I would like to rent a 1-bedroom, 1-bath place for us. The most important factors are safety, quiet neighbors, being furnished and modern. I checked University oaks (On-campus), Blue Bonnet Hills (unfurnished, no 1/1 available), Maverick Creek (read not so heart-warming reviews about the place) and villas at babcock (looks beautiful but same as Maverick Creek). Please help me in this issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 4 years later...

Hello, I was just accepted in St. Mary's University in San Antonio and was looking for recommendations of safe places to live? I don't mind if it's 30 minutes from the university, I'm just looking for it to be a safe place.  I'm looking for a 1 bedroom/1 bath apartment. Any suggestions will be appreciated, thank you.