Need some help!

JJ1

Hi all, 

I have been a long time lurker, but finally gave up and signed. I need some advice. 

I applied to three social work phd programs: UM-Ann Arbor, NYU, and U of T (Canada).

UM was my top choice and dream school, but I was rejected, which was not really a shock, but it hurt a little. 

NYU -  I haven't heard anything yet, but I think some people were invited for interviews in Jan and someone posted here being waitlisted, so I am thinking I am out. This was my safety school (ironically). 

As for U of T - I got in (informal) and I am waiting for the official email to come in. I was excited because the program accepts only 8-10 people and I think my research interests resonate well with some of the faculty. I did not name anyone specifically to work with because the application did not ask for that. 

I have been trying to find more information about the U of T program, but there is limited info online and was wondering if anyone applied and got in or if they are currently enrolled or have graduated to give me some insight. 

I got my MSW from Columbia, so a part of me feels that U of T is a step down. But in all honesty my Columbia experience was meh. I am an international student and where I come from where you graduate from is far more important than what you have done or how well experience has been. Therefore, I a bit hesitant to commit to U of T. I am in between accepting U of T and seeing how things go, continue if I like it or reapply again to different programs if I do not. 

I do not have research experience (one study where I was a field research and another is still in the works). My MSW GPA was 3.97 and I did not submit any GRE scores, because the programs I applied to have waived it for this year. I also came into the social work field a bit late. It was a huge career change for me and I have only about 2 years post MSW. 

There is just a lot that is pulling me from many different directions and I am confused. If anyone has some wisdom to share, I am all ears. 

Thank you!  

What was your reasoning for applying to UofT if you think its not good enough? Speaking as a Canadian, UofTs social work program is one of, if not, the most popular program in Canada and its not easy to get accepted. Apart from social work, the University of Toronto in general, is a well known school that carries a name to it. If you're not feeling it or think it's not prestigious enough then perhaps turn it down as I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would gladly accept the offer.

I think you should go to the school that best fits your research interests which would include the faculty and funding support.

Also, do you mind sharing which UM track you were rejected from? Was it social work and psychology, as I am currently waiting for a decision from there as an int'l candidate. I am also waiting for NYU and will post any news I receive in the main phd thread.

Good Luck!

It sounds like you feel offended and I am sorry that you feel that way. It was not my intention to undermine the school, its graduates, or Canadians for that matter. 

I do know how well-reputed the social work program and the school is. It is why I decided to apply. I needed advice and maybe next time you could be more constructive with your comments. Thanks. 

Hi apkujong, 

Thanks for your input. I applied to the sociology/social work program. I heard that it's extremely selective, not sure about psychology though.

Were there any other PhD programs you applied to? Do you also mind sharing your stats either here or in a PM? 

Best of luck! 

4 hours ago, JJ1 said:

It sounds like you feel offended and I am sorry that you feel that way. It was not my intention to undermine the school, its graduates, or Canadians for that matter. 

I do know how well-reputed the social work program and the school is. It is why I decided to apply. I needed advice and maybe next time you could be more constructive with your comments. Thanks. 

You chose to only focus on the end of my point but my first question was meant to make you think. If you're having a hard time weighing your options, it helps to revisit why you applied to a school in the first place. And those reasons may re-centre your way back to the positives you originally saw and not just focus on the doubts you're having. I can only assume you applied because you thought the program may be good for you, you can reflect on that. And if you feel you've learned new information about the program that no longer make you think it's a good fit, then you should go with your gut and turn it down. PhD programs are several years long, you shouldn't accept if you feel in your heart it's not the right program for you. 

Other than that, it's hard to be constructive when you've provided no information other than you just don't think it's prestigious enough. In North America, program fit weighs more heavily than prestige to a school name. But if for your country, prestige is most important, then by all means go with a program you feel is going to set you up with the most success post-graduation.