Munk MGA/MPA UofT 2022

cuddles492

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 12:11 AM, twoatwomtwoo said:

Hello! I (surprisingly) got an acceptance email on February 22 for the MGA program at University of Toronto. I wasn't expecting it so early! I would love to connect with other students who are also starting this fall. 

Congrats on your acceptance!! Has anyone heard from the UofT MPP program at all? 

22 hours ago, thegreatwhite said:

Congrats! My application still just says "submitted" so not looking great haha

Hopefully they will send you an offer soon (it looks like offers could be being sent on a rolling basis).

MGA looks awesome. My only problem with the program however is the hefty tuition. Without any funding offers from MGA, it looks I'll be accepting one of the schools in Ottawa (I have been accepted to Carleton and U of O with funding)

Anyone heard back from MPP? My application status shows ‘submitted’ so I’m a bit worried…

Got accepted into Queens MPA, McGill MPP and UBC MPPGA, but still in love with Munk

McGill undergrad, sort of competitive GPA (CGPA3.74/4, final year 3.94) 3 undergrad journal publications, lots internship leadership experiences in consulting firms (tbh has nothing to do with public policy), some volunteer experiences with NGOs 

UofT also requested my high school grades cuz of first year advanced standing…those grades aren’t looking good tho, kinda relaxed myself after receiving undergrad offers…they’re from 3yrs ago, would it matter? 

On 3/13/2022 at 8:27 AM, R2D2 said:

Hopefully they will send you an offer soon (it looks like offers could be being sent on a rolling basis).

MGA looks awesome. My only problem with the program however is the hefty tuition. Without any funding offers from MGA, it looks I'll be accepting one of the schools in Ottawa (I have been accepted to Carleton and U of O with funding)

Can I ask which program at Carleton and U of O? Both PoliSci? Just curious because I've been accepted at Carleton as well, and applied to the MGA at Munk. Carleton's funding so far has been second to none, and it's really making a strong case for itself. While I do have principles, I will be convinced by getting my schooling costs covered.

19 hours ago, thegreatwhite said:

Without funding Carleton is a great option. Extra good if you're aiming at government after.

Have you gone to Carleton? Looking for some insight into their programs. Do most people go into government after? How's living in Ottawa?

17 hours ago, R2D2 said:

I was accepted into Carleton MPPA and U of O GSPIA!

Gotcha! Thanks.

Also happy to chime in and say that Munk offered me admission for the MGA as well. No funding though, which, while I was expecting little to none from Munk, it pretty well makes it a definitive decline for me. Not going to spend $25k/year just on tuition to move to one of Canada's most expensive cities, for a masters degree. I think I'll go elsewhere, where I won't have any student debt :)

21 minutes ago, homosapien1234 said:

Gotcha! Thanks.

Also happy to chime in and say that Munk offered me admission for the MGA as well. No funding though, which, while I was expecting little to none from Munk, it pretty well makes it a definitive decline for me. Not going to spend $25k/year just on tuition to move to one of Canada's most expensive cities, for a masters degree. I think I'll go elsewhere, where I won't have any student debt :)

This is the real play. The decision to spend 50k for a general policy degree with little to no funding in an incredibly expensive city with similar placement rates as several other policy masters programs will never make sense to me.

7 minutes ago, BTF said:

This is the real play. The decision to spend 50k for a general policy degree with little to no funding in an incredibly expensive city with similar placement rates as several other policy masters programs will never make sense to me.

Yup, and I would even have the possibility of cheap rent through family that own some residences there. Hard to see how the MGA isn't for anyone but uber wealthy individuals or those that do not understand the true costs of that education. Plus, from all that I can tell, if you can get into Munk, one should be able to get into a few other options. Not that I know what is best for everyone, this is definitely situational-dependent! My family is decently well off, but there's no way I'm paying $50k for a Canadian (or any!) Masters degree, when other schools want to pay me to do the same.

(I find it extremely funny because it'll be the second time I'm declining U of T, first one with my undergrad after they skipped me over for funding as well; I chose to go to a school that paid for my undergrad, and I don't regret it one bit.)

Oh me lord! I am so excited to say that I just got an email from SGS and I got accepted to an MGA, a little about me that may inspire hope in all grad school hopefuls:

First year Uni (McMaster), did so bad put on academic probation

Second Year uni, did even worse so I was kicked out of school

Second year summer applied for reinstatement into different faculty - got denied

Did a Bus Admin program for a whole year

Applied for reinstatement again, got accepted

First year in new program (still mac) 3.9/4 (transferred credits and did summer school)

Because of transfer and summer school I am eligible to graduate in One more year

Second year of new program (Fall of 2021) - Applied to Munk 3.86 GPA, 4 Reference letters (Dean, Professor x 2, Associate Dean)

GOT INNNNNN BOIIIIII

Man it has been such a journey at times questioning my path so much wondered if I should have a path at all. I am so happy to share this with you lot, if I can make it you can too!!

I was accepted into the MGA on the 8th, but no funding.
Emailed them asking about when MPP results would be out and they said they were still reviewing applications.

Accepted UOttawa law instead, seeing as the tuition is the same price and they needed a response by the 26th. 

Good luck all!

Can anyone here suggest me? I got rejected from MPP in Munk. Got MIPP offer from BSIA with funding and MPP from Calgary with awards, MPP from Maxbell with no funding. Which one should I choose? I am new PR in Canada. I have worked as an academic researcher for think-tank for last 6 years in developing countries, want to go back to the same after finishing this masters or at least try for government jobs. I am torn between BSIA and calgary. Not very thrilled about maxbell, but I am open to suggestions

20 hours ago, PolicyDork said:

I was accepted into the MGA on the 8th, but no funding.
Emailed them asking about when MPP results would be out and they said they were still reviewing applications.

Accepted UOttawa law instead, seeing as the tuition is the same price and they needed a response by the 26th. 

Good luck all!

When did you email them about MPP? 

40 minutes ago, PolicyDork said:

The 18th and heard back on the 21st.

Okay interesting. I think they sent out their first round offers March 17th-18th so I'm assuming they are reviewing again for second round offers. Hopefully we will hear back soon about that. 

On 3/24/2022 at 10:54 PM, kalV said:

Can anyone here suggest me? I got rejected from MPP in Munk. Got MIPP offer from BSIA with funding and MPP from Calgary with awards, MPP from Maxbell with no funding. Which one should I choose? I am new PR in Canada. I have worked as an academic researcher for think-tank for last 6 years in developing countries, want to go back to the same after finishing this masters or at least try for government jobs. I am torn between BSIA and calgary. Not very thrilled about maxbell, but I am open to suggestions

Honestly, if this was my situation, I'd go where funding was offered. Not to say any school is really "better" than others, but degrees, especially for policy, will be very similar no matter where you go. Calgary might focus a bit more on energy, but all in all, very similar.