MPP, MPA, MIA 2011 Fall applications!

I'm thinking of applying to MPP/MPA/MIA programs this year for Fall 2011 entry. How many folks there with similar plans?

I'm interested in HKS, SIPA, SAIS and the Woodrow Wilson School in the US and LSE and Oxford in the UK

I haven't given my GRE yet - it's in a week! However, I have decent GMAT scores (750)

A few questions:

1) Quant: I don't have a quant background, though I have decent Math scores in Calculus, Algebra and trigonometry . Since I'm interested in the MPA/ID program at HKS, which requires fairly advanced quant skills, I'm wondering if there is any way to strengthen my application on this count. Courses? Recommendations? Or should I rely on my GMAT (and hopefully a decent Quant score in GRE) for this?

2) LORs: I will get decent LORs from my professional recommenders. However, the academic recommendation is somewhat doubtful. I have reached out to a professor about a recommendation, who will definitely write a positive recommendation - but he hasn't seen my work for about 4 years. Is that an issue? More generally, how do I think about LORs for these programs?

3) SOPs: This is the trickiest part! I'm wondering if there's anyone out there that can share sample SoPs or thoughts on how to think about this. I'm particularly concerned about how to talk about my professional experiences. I wrote SoPs out of college, but that was ages ago and focused exclusively on college coursework and volunteering. Now I'm wondering how to synthesize 4 years of work ex into a 1000 word (in SIPA's case 400!) word essays.

4) The Policy memo: How do I start thinking about this?

Would love feedback on all these questions!

SubjectNotebook

I was told that the highest level of math you will see on the GRE quantitative section is High School Algebra II or basic College Algebra, since not all schools require students to take a math course. When I took the GRE, my quantitative scores were in the mid-600's, and I had not taken a math course since high school!

Thanks Rachaelski!

I was told that the highest level of math you will see on the GRE quantitative section is High School Algebra II or basic College Algebra, since not all schools require students to take a math course. When I took the GRE, my quantitative scores were in the mid-600's, and I had not taken a math course since high school!

I'm particularly worried about whether I'll be suitable for the intense programs at these policy programs, particularly Kenneydy's MPA/ID. Any thoughts on how to strengthen my case, as I'm interested in the programs, but worried about the quant side!

Cheers!

I'm particularly worried about whether I'll be suitable for the intense programs at these policy programs, particularly Kennedy's MPA/ID. Any thoughts on how to strengthen my case, as I'm interested in the programs, but worried about the quant side!

Cheers!

I didn't have quant coursework but got a solid GRE score - but I was applying MPP and not MPA/ID. Still, I'd be more concerned about econ credentials than the math. You don't mention your background there... While most programs prefer if you have at least intro micro- and macro-econ, SAIS and the MPA/ID are the two that really, absolutely will demand it. I had taken only macro; my SAIS acceptance was contingent on my completing micro before the start of classes. If you already have these, then I wouldn't worry as much. If not, that's where you should probably direct your energies.

I didn't have quant coursework but got a solid GRE score - but I was applying MPP and not MPA/ID. Still, I'd be more concerned about econ credentials than the math. You don't mention your background there... While most programs prefer if you have at least intro micro- and macro-econ, SAIS and the MPA/ID are the two that really, absolutely will demand it. I had taken only macro; my SAIS acceptance was contingent on my completing micro before the start of classes. If you already have these, then I wouldn't worry as much. If not, that's where you should probably direct your energies.

Zourah,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm interested in the MPA/ID, but I also am worried I may not enjoy it as much if it is intense quant. Sigh... confusion. I may end up applying for the MPP.

I do have introductory courses in macro and micro, so I guess that's not bad. (How much of those courses I remember is an altogether different issue... :-))

If I may ask - how solid was the GRE score? And I've taken the GMAT and have a 90+ percentile on the quant - so I'm wondering if I should kill myself on the GRE at all.

Zourah,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm interested in the MPA/ID, but I also am worried I may not enjoy it as much if it is intense quant. Sigh... confusion. I may end up applying for the MPP.

I do have introductory courses in macro and micro, so I guess that's not bad. (How much of those courses I remember is an altogether different issue... :-))

If I may ask - how solid was the GRE score? And I've taken the GMAT and have a 90+ percentile on the quant - so I'm wondering if I should kill myself on the GRE at all.

It was somewhere just under 90th percentile - your test scores need to be good enough to indicate ability, but beyond that they aren't really the point.

If after looking seriously at all the programs you like you're still not sure about the MPA/ID, apply for MPP. The former is widely respected and has its own niche, but you get absolutely no academic freedom your first year (even the structured MPP gives you a couple of electives), and its participants joke about doing all the work for a PhD in economics without getting the degree. It's possible to do an international and global affairs concentration, take the harder econ track, and focus on development issues within the MPP as well - and if you find you hate the upper-level econ, you still have the chance to refocus your efforts within the degree program. If you really want it, definitely go for the MPA/ID - but be sure it's what you want.

Edited by zourah

It's possible to do an international and global affairs concentration, take the harder econ track, and focus on development issues within the MPP as well - and if you find you hate the upper-level econ, you still have the chance to refocus your efforts within the degree program. If you really want it, definitely go for the MPA/ID - but be sure it's what you want.

Thanks Zourah! That's the best feedback I've heard! Like you say, I'm still not sure that I want that upper-level econ, and so I guess having some flexibility would make for a good course.

SubjectNotebook

Did you think about taking an advance econ/quant class at a local college (if you live in the US) ?

This would give you a good chance to see if you can live with a lot of quant problems and also strenghten your application I think!

Btw, many schools (including HKS) accept GMAT, so why are taking GRE as well ? Great score on GMAT is a good indicator of your academic ability, so no need to take it unless you really want to apply to some school that will not accept GMAT (such as WWS) !

p.s. PM me your email and I will send you a good guide book on writing essays for grad school - it will not solve all your problems but it will give you some guidance

Did you think about taking an advance econ/quant class at a local college (if you live in the US) ?

This would give you a good chance to see if you can live with a lot of quant problems and also strenghten your application I think!

Btw, many schools (including HKS) accept GMAT, so why are taking GRE as well ? Great score on GMAT is a good indicator of your academic ability, so no need to take it unless you really want to apply to some school that will not accept GMAT (such as WWS) !

p.s. PM me your email and I will send you a good guide book on writing essays for grad school - it will not solve all your problems but it will give you some guidance

Sigh. I'm taking the GRE only for WWS really. I'm also somewhat defensive about my lack of quant background (!), so I'm hoping a good GRE score will support my case. I guess I needn't be too worried - I do have 2 college courses in Econ, and did calculus and advanced algebra in Math in school, but still...

I'm not in the US - in India actually, and Indian universities do not offer quality short term courses. I'll just have to figure it out if I do get an admit somewhere. :-)

I'll send you my ID - thanks for the offer!

SubjectNotebook

Zourah/Gradpa/OP:

How did you decide on which schools to apply to? I'm currently looking at primarily MPP programs (with a few MPAs scattered within my list), but I'm having serious trouble narrowing that list down to my top choices. I feel like I'm in a place to be somewhat selective, but I can really only base my criteria on brand-name schools and US News and World Report rankings. Any advice on other qualifying features?

Thanks!

Zourah/Gradpa/OP:

How did you decide on which schools to apply to? I'm currently looking at primarily MPP programs (with a few MPAs scattered within my list), but I'm having serious trouble narrowing that list down to my top choices. I feel like I'm in a place to be somewhat selective, but I can really only base my criteria on brand-name schools and US News and World Report rankings. Any advice on other qualifying features?

Thanks!

I'm perhaps not the best to ask, as I applied to only one MPP program - the others were MA (or the quirky MSFS) programs instead. I knew I wanted to do international affairs, I knew that I wanted to stay on the East Coast, and those two criteria narrowed the list pretty effectively. If I were to do it again, I might have added WWS to the list, but six applications didn't seem to be an overwhelming number, so I saved the actual decision-making for after I got acceptance letters.

Zourah/Gradpa/OP:

Thanks!

I was in a similar position last year and I don't think I did a very good job of picking which schools to apply to. I think I got lucky in that Maxwell (Syracuse) ended up being a great fit for me, but the only reason it caught my attention was because of the ranking (I've only been here for a month -- we start in the summer -- but so far, so good) If I were in your shoes I'd do the following:

1. Make a chart comparing the curricula at the different schools that have caught your eye. Maxwell's curriculum seems similar to most MPPs (it requires micro, two semesters of stats/quant, an ethics class, budgeting, an ethics/polisci class, management, and a capstone) and I think it generally gives you the same skills, but compared to MPPs it's probably more focused on working in public agencies just because of its history as the longest running public administration program in the country (lots of people do go on to work in NGOs and the private sector though). HKS seems quite geared towards leadership skills whereas at Maxwell this is not an explicit focus -- just some examples of differences you can pick out. Do you want to write a thesis or do you prefer a group capstone/consulting project?

2. Call the admissions offices and ask if they can connect you with alumni -- I really should have done this and I know that at Maxwell they will do this happily. Fletcher, Maxwell, and HKS in particular I've heard are famous for their alumni networks -- this is key. Find out what other schools have to say about how loyal alumni are.

3. Decide what kind of environment you want to be in. I was warned about Syracuse being lame as a city and was a bit worried, but now that I'm here I'm really glad I came, since I'm really sick of big cities and think I'd be miserable in NYC. Consider cost of living / whether you'd have a long commute to school, etc. It's really a matter of personal preference and you should listen to that instinct-- being happy in your environment will make the experience better and possibly even help you learn more.

4. If you're interested in international stuff check out the Foreign Policy rankings for IR programs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_the_Ivory_Tower

Other than that, good luck!

Good luck --

I was in a similar position last year and I don't think I did a very good job of picking which schools to apply to. I think I got lucky in that Maxwell (Syracuse) ended up being a great fit for me, but the only reason it caught my attention was because of the ranking (I've only been here for a month -- we start in the summer -- but so far, so good) If I were in your shoes I'd do the following:

1. Make a chart comparing the curricula at the different schools that have caught your eye. Maxwell's curriculum seems similar to most MPPs (it requires micro, two semesters of stats/quant, an ethics class, budgeting, an ethics/polisci class, management, and a capstone) and I think it generally gives you the same skills, but compared to MPPs it's probably more focused on working in public agencies just because of its history as the longest running public administration program in the country (lots of people do go on to work in NGOs and the private sector though). HKS seems quite geared towards leadership skills whereas at Maxwell this is not an explicit focus -- just some examples of differences you can pick out. Do you want to write a thesis or do you prefer a group capstone/consulting project?

Other than that, good luck!

Good luck --

MssyAK,

I think a school's brand value is also important. Especially if you are from outside the US (like I am), and plan to return, going to a school that is *perceived* as good is relevant. My own way has to been to identify 5-6 key criteria, assign weights and score schools to come up with my top 3-4 schools. (I don't think I'll have the energy to apply to more!). I scored schools by looking up sites, speaking to alum, etc.

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I'm applying to Georgetown MSFS and Columbia SIPA (MIA), but am worried about my quant GRE and my lack of econ courses. Here's my background

GPA: 3.8 (business journalism and international relations)

GRE: 780v/700q/4.5aw

Work experience: Have been working as a financial journalist for three years at a major media outlet, covering international businesses. I interned at the Olympic News Service in China, as well as the business desk at The Times in London. Am on the steering community for a UNICEF project, as well as other volunteer work.

I'm worried about my low quant score, combined with my lack of econ courses (just one general econ course in college). I have a lot of applied quant work -- cover finance, economics, etc which should show my understanding of the topics. I just don't have the actual, basic economic coursework.

What do you think my chances are? Should have three solid letters of recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Hi all, I'm applying to Georgetown MSFS and Columbia SIPA (MIA), but am worried about my quant GRE and my lack of econ courses. Here's my background

GPA: 3.8 (business journalism and international relations)

GRE: 780v/700q/4.5aw

Work experience: Have been working as a financial journalist for three years at a major media outlet, covering international businesses. I interned at the Olympic News Service in China, as well as the business desk at The Times in London. Am on the steering community for a UNICEF project, as well as other volunteer work.

I'm worried about my low quant score, combined with my lack of econ courses (just one general econ course in college). I have a lot of applied quant work -- cover finance, economics, etc which should show my understanding of the topics. I just don't have the actual, basic economic coursework.

What do you think my chances are? Should have three solid letters of recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

I wouldn't worry about your quant/econ background. The AW score would probably trouble me a little more but I you should be competitive at both schools.