silberman school of social work interview support

Rose12

Hi, I had mine yesterday and it's pretty chill! I prepared by thinking about some common questions and coming up with answers. Why social work, why Hunter, etc. I didn't need to answer any of the questions, but it helped me get in the social work mindset. The facilitator asked a total of three questions, and after each question, each person in the group responded.

I had my interview last week. And it’s very chill. I mentally prepared myself to answer questions like why Hunter and why social work. But none of the questions asked were worded like that. There was 7 people in my group interview and everyone answered the same question, you have like 2 minutes to answer the question. The facilitator is not timing you, so don’t worry. The facilitator might ask you follow up questions based on your answer. One of the question was like what does social work mean to you.
Also you are going to have a writing sample but you have 24 hours to submit it. 

Good Luck!!!  

• 2 weeks later...

@SRmsw @blueberryxyz I haven’t heard back yet. The email that I got for the interview says that I’ll hear back in 3 weeks and it’s about to be 4 weeks. It’s making me anxious because I would like to know already.  I’m in the same situation, I got accepted to Lehman and I have to let them know by April 29th. I don’t know if I should ask for an extension or email Hunter asking for an update?.

@Alittle_shady That's so frustrating! I think since they said 3 weeks and it's been over that, you definitely should feel free to email them. Now I'm worried they lied to me about my timeline as well lol. I also applied to Lehman but I haven't received any updates yet. However, I have been getting emails about financial aid stuff from them- did this happen to you too? 

@SRmsw I haven’t received any financial aid information from Lehman. I contacted the financial aid office to ask them if I got any scholarships and they just gave me resources for loans without even looking into my account information. Very annoying ?. Still no answer from Hunter. But I did get accepted to Columbia!!! Which is very exciting. Hopefully, Columbia’s financial aid office is more helpful. 

@blueberryxyz thank you!!

Well, originally Hunter was my top choice because it’s a good program for an “affordable” prices. I never thought that I would actually get accepted to Columbia. I need to see if I get any scholarships because Columbia is crazy expensive. I’m not sure if getting into a lot of debt is worth the Columbia name in the field of social work. Im not sure what to do ?

@Alittle_shady If you're interested in my two cents...I reallyy wanted to go to NYU and I scoured the internet to try and justify paying 45k more for the program (even after a generous scholarship), and I really couldn't find anything... I look a lot at the subreddit /socialwork and people there say school prestige doesn't exist in social work. Most of the learning happens at field placements, and from what I understand NYC programs have access to largely the same placements... With this information, I decided not to go to NYU :( Still sad about it, but I think it's the best decision for me. I am interested in going into private practice down the road and there are a lot of different post-graduate therapy trainings you can do and that costs more $$$ which is something to think about!

But of course I would also encourage you to look up current students' experiences and see if you think it's worth it!

Edited by blueberryxyz

• 2 weeks later...

@blueberryxyz I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, Columbia didn’t offer me decent scholarships. After really thinking about it paying over $80,000 for school is crazy. My goal with going to school is to secure higher paying jobs and work towards financial freedom. So, I think that with a huge student loan debt that seems impossible. I’m still waiting for Hunter ? Did you ever hear back? 

@blueberryxyz when you said an admissions person was online on chat and you asked when you would hear back...where did you mean online? I emailed them as it's been over two weeks from my interview and I haven't heard anything. I have a friend who interviewed this past Tuesday and heard back 3 days later that he was accepted so I'm a frustrated especially because I owe another school a decision on Friday. I emailed them Thursday but they haven't responded. 

@SRmsw That's frustrating ? I would check my portal super often, so I'd be on their website a lot. https://sssw.hunter.cuny.edu/admissions/ In the bottom right it says "chat with us". I think that the background of that modal will turn black when someone is online answering questions. The few times I have seen someone online has been in the afternoon. It says M-Th 5-6pm, but I haven't found that to be accurate. I would also follow up on the email if you haven't heard anything by end of day! You could also probably call them. And I assume you've already asked for an extension from the other school?