Masters Anthropology Programs

callmeludo

I was wondering if anyone had information or advice (inside info, opinions, acceptance rates, etc.) on the following masters social and cultural anthropology programs:

Columbia (MA)

The New School (MA)

McGill (MA)

London School of Economics (MSc in Social Anth or Anth and Development)

Oxford (MSc or MPhil)

Cambridge (MPhil)

I know that's a pretty vague question, but any opinion would be helpful.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I can say that you'll receive a lot of individualized attention at The New School's MA program and the faculty are all amazing. It is a rather intense program, but I would strongly recommend it.

I was wondering if anyone had information or advice (inside info, opinions, acceptance rates, etc.) on the following masters social and cultural anthropology programs:

Columbia (MA)

The New School (MA)

McGill (MA)

London School of Economics (MSc in Social Anth or Anth and Development)

Oxford (MSc or MPhil)

Cambridge (MPhil)

I know that's a pretty vague question, but any opinion would be helpful.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'm new and anxious and in good company as I am sure many others feel likewise.

I am specifically looking for anthropology programs for bioarchaeology and political economy, with a side dish offering of economic anthropology.

Those are my choices for research interests.

I am being sold on the idea of tackling a Master first as a means to boost my chances of getting into my top choices for a PhD program.

Where can I go to get the backgrounds mentioned above AND get some school name recognition to bolster my hopes for the dream PhD?

(I prefer 4-field obviously; which eliminates a lot of namey schools and schools known for their strong biological suits.)

It's really not so much about the name of the college as it is the name of your advisor. Advisors are the most important aspect of graduate school and moving on from there. WHo has influenced you the most? Where do they teach? Who has graduated under them and have the same opinions? This will show you where to apply. Or you could go down the rankings and apply there but I think the other way will help you more in obtaining your goal. This is what I did two years ago and I am thankful I went to who could help me the most and not just a number on a rankings list.

Edited by anthropologygeek