MSPPM DA at CMU vs. QMSS at Columbia University

jfiwoe

Question

Hi everyone, this is Cleon.

I am an international student and have received Public Policy and Management - Data Analytic Track (MSPPM DA) offer from the CMU and Quantitative Methods in Social Sciences (QMSS) offer from Columbia University. 

I want to have a researcher job in the United States in the World Bank or other international organizations and have my PhD 3 year later in a top university in the US in the public policy field. I am currently undecided about which university to go.

1. QMSS at Columbia
    1. Pro:
      1. Reputation and network
      2. New York City where are lots of relevant opportunities, especially in international organizations
      3. access to better faculty in micro-economics and politics
      4. Flexible Curriculum
      5. Practicum projects opportunities (with UN)
    2. Con:
      1. Expensive in NYC
      2. only 1.5 years (three semesters) to equip myself with quantitative skills
  2. MSPPM DA at CMU:
    1. Pro:
      1. duration of 2 years (4 semesters)
      2. much more solid quantitative training (maybe?)
      3. low living cost
      4. Capstone project opportunities (but not with international organizations)
    2. Con:
      1. maybe not-that-good faculty in Micro-economics and Politics
      2. have to relocate to big cities for internship
      3. less access to international organizations

Could you please kindly share some suggestions with me, I am kind of confused here.

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, jfiwoe said:

Hi everyone, this is Cleon.

I am an international student and have received Public Policy and Management - Data Analytic Track (MSPPM DA) offer from the CMU and Quantitative Methods in Social Sciences (QMSS) offer from Columbia University. 

I want to have a researcher job in the United States in the World Bank or other international organizations and have my PhD 3 year later in a top university in the US in the public policy field. I am currently undecided about which university to go.

1. QMSS at Columbia
    1. Pro:
      1. Reputation and network
      2. New York City where are lots of relevant opportunities, especially in international organizations
      3. access to better faculty in micro-economics and politics
      4. Flexible Curriculum
      5. Practicum projects opportunities (with UN)
    2. Con:
      1. Expensive in NYC
      2. only 1.5 years (three semesters) to equip myself with quantitative skills
  2. MSPPM DA at CMU:
    1. Pro:
      1. duration of 2 years (4 semesters)
      2. much more solid quantitative training (maybe?)
      3. low living cost
      4. Capstone project opportunities (but not with international organizations)
    2. Con:
      1. maybe not-that-good faculty in Micro-economics and Politics
      2. have to relocate to big cities for internship
      3. less access to international organizations

Could you please kindly share some suggestions with me, I am kind of confused here.

After graduating from master's program at Columbia (different major) I can tell you simply to go somewhere else for number of reasons which I will list here.

1. It's ridiculously expensive. If you have funding somewhere else or it's cheaper, go there. Unless you work for Columbia and that covers your tuition money wise not worth it.

2. It's very hard to study at Columbia and it produces way too much stress as compared to other schools. If you chose another more supportive program and school you will be better off.

3. Choose the program that will lead to PhD program if you intend on continuing your studies as master's sets you up for it nicely. Columbia keeps very few people and competition is very much cut throat and people were not nice to me, tried to sabotage me for upcoming PhD spot.

4. cost of apartment or living on campus is insane. 

5. You can relocate to another big city after you graduate and get a job and your job place will pay for relocation. 
Hope this helps.

PS I loved being a student the first year and hated second one. If I knew what I know now I would never have picked it.