"Subject Test recommended..."

TheDude

I have been seeing "subject test recommended" on quite a few sites but not required. Have people who applied in the past ignored this when it was recommended? I have enough on my plate this summer with studying for the regular GRE and trying to do a bunch of new manuscript work and conference proposals. Is it wrong to think: " Well, my psych grades and subject GPA should speak for itself?" I'd think inking out perhaps one more publication would take priority over showing that I understand the history of psychology. Not to mention I'd like to continue to refine my data analysis chops and research skills in leu of reading intro to psych books.

Thanks very much- looking to mitigate a lot of potential stress piled on top of stress.

From what I understand, a recommended subject test is only really necessary if you a)aren't a psych major or B) don't have a good psych GPA. Since it doesn't sound like either one of those cases apply to you, I think you're fine to forget about it and focus on the other much more important tasks that you mentioned!

Agreed with the poster above me. I had top credentials when I was applying, and I had registered for the Psych GRE. However, I realized that due to the time crunch (classes, preparing grad school applications, NSF fellowship), I wouldn't have had time to study as much as I'd like to for the exam. I asked around within my program whether it would hurt my application if I didn't take it at all. The consensus there seemed to be that it could only hurt if I had a bad score, and wouldn't do anything if I had a good score. My impression was that the Psych GRE is most helpful for people who don't have strong psych backgrounds (showing that they know psych well), and is simply used to weed people with otherwise strong credentials out of the pool.

Yes, I agree with both of the above posters. I took the Psych GRE's and did average on them, and when I spoke to a professor I know well at my school he informed me that none of the psych students at our school do really well on them. With all the non-psych related classes we have to take, we tend to be weak in certain areas (mine is Perception :) ). So if you are like me, taking them might actually hurt you. I would think that sending in average or below average scores would not look good to the admissions committee.