FioY0122

Hi All,

I am struggling in deciding between UChicago MAPH and NYU IFA. I know both programs have been said to be "cash cow" programs, but they seem to be the only two options that I have now... I am interested in post-war American art and modern/contemporary art in East Asia, and currently do not plan to apply PhD afterwards.  Both programs have faculty that fit my interests. I knew more about IFA, since I was an undergrad in NYU, but I still don't have a very concrete idea about the MAPH program, as I have heard many different sides of stories about it. From the virtual sessions I attended, I feel faculty at IFA are more supportive. But I might get a more intensive research experience and better academic resources on campus at UChicago..

If anyone can share some insights about which program is more reputed in the art field, I would really appreciate it!

I would also really appreciate if any current students or alumni from the two programs can share your experience! Thanks!

Edited by FioY0122

The general consensus with exceptions, always exceptions, is cash cow programs are to be avoided unless you can afford the steep tuition and the cost of living in one of two expensive cities, while taking time from working to be in an intensive program. The one argument, and a highly debated one at that, is an MA program such as these might boost your chances of acquiring the research skills, scholarly focus, and contacts to get accepted into a desirable PhD program afterwards. But if that's not even in the cards for you, then it seems you have all the reason in the world to pursue another avenue, a funded MA program like Tufts, Williams, or others mentioned in a recent post. If you don't have to worry about money, IFA is far more recognized in the art field, while the sway of MAPH is negligible to nil.

Hopefully, someone who's been in either program with the similar goals will pipe up, or perhaps, you could seek out and talk to recent graduates with the help of these programs. Good luck!