Is a PhD the best pathway for my research interest?

LNA

Hello all!

I believe I've only posted once before regarding studying Medieval Latin, but if I remember correctly that was before 2020, so it's been awhile since I've interacted here. I wanted to get other opinions about what I'm hoping to study in grad school, and whether or not I should pursue a PhD program (since I've been reading the posts advising against it, with the evidence of the terrible job market being heartbreaking but not unsurprising).

I want to study the history of the Medieval Islamic empire, with an emphasis on researching lgbtq+ identifying figures from that era. It's a topic that I am passionate about (coming from someone who has a personal connection to both of those topics), and while there is some research done into it, it's not studied enough in my opinion and deserves more recognition. Personal feelings aside however, I have two questions that come from this. 

My first question is, is a PhD the right way to approach this for me? I am in the process of studying the necessary languages and was hoping to prepare December applications for Fall 2023. For awhile I was only interested in museum work, but more recently I am open to both academia and museum work (both of which are very difficult career fields to pursue, I am aware). I would also like to, at some point in the future, publish a book on the topic that is geared towards a wider audience rather than just an academic one, since I strongly believe that the topic needs more public awareness. Would anyone have any advice on what I could do in this situation?

My second question, which is more specifically about grad school applications, is regarding my undergrad thesis advisor. I had always planned for them to be one of my references for me for grad school, and they've let me know they would be happy to act as one. However, my undergrad thesis (which I would also hope to use as a writing sample to showcase what is, in my opinion, my strongest work) deals with a very different topic; propaganda in literature about powerful Norman women in the Medieval era. I don't know if this is more of a non-issue in actuality, but is there a way someone might recommend to let this person know that I've changed my research focus almost entirely? Or is that something that is less important to focus on than I am thinking it is?

Any insight anyone may have on my questions would be greatly appreciated! 

I see no reason for you not to have your thesis advisor write for you. Their letter will speak to your fundamental ability to do historical research, which is not subfield specific. Your interests are also expected to continue evolving. I wouldn't even consider those fields to be especially distant, both being connected to medieval gender and sexuality. 

Really only you can decide whether you should go for the PhD. As you've seen, there are tons of threads on this forums discussing it.  You'll likely not have a tenured position in academia after finishing, so can you live with a job in, say, academic administration or publishing or something like that? Those are areas where history PhDs tend to end up. 

• 3 weeks later...

OP,

Only you can decide if you want to do the PhD. Be mindful of the opportunity costs, financial and otherwise, that you will face for being a PhD student for 6+ years. PhD stipends in the humanities are not high as those in the STEM so you will need to take this into account, especially with cost-of-living at places like NYU or Princeton or Harvard (even though Harvard has significantly raised the stipends).

Museums are still quite tough to come by; one does not need to have a PhD these days.  Connections matter more.

I agree with @jpc34about your thesis adviser's letter. As long as it's strong, it's all it matters. Only the review committee and your POIs (persons of interest) can determine if you're ready to dive into this topic. which I imeagine would be simultaneously rewarding and challenging.