2023 Application Thread

dr. t

1 hour ago, samohaya said:

I have three remaining programs that gave me no indication as to whether I was accepted, waitlisted or rejected—— UCSD, UPenn and Harvard HoS. Does anyone have any knowledge as to what exactly is going on?

I'm in the same boat with Illinois and Purdue. No indication of anything. 

On 2/16/2023 at 12:06 AM, sciencehistorian said:

I can't think of a single POI who has ever indicated that they want an applicant to have a determined topic already selected.

You should be able to articulate questions you're interested in, yes, as well as things like time period and approach. And you should be able to speak about projects you *could* imagine doing at an institution. But from the conversations I've had, professors seem to recoil at the idea that applicants have a prefigured sense of what exact singular thing they'd like to study in the PhD, for at least two reasons — 1) if the applicant already has everything figured out, why do they need to obtain the PhD? and 2) the majority of students will change and mature their interests over the course of the pre-quals years; some programs even almost have an expectation for their students' interests to change between application and the dissertation prospectus. Recognition of this latter fact is itself, I imagine, one of those more subtle indicators that an applicant has a realistic understanding of what graduate school is like, and is not entering without false impressions.

Hey May I ask when and how did you get your UCI rejection? I've applied for History PhD at UCI too and have an informal meeting with my POI in Jan. Yet it's been dead silence since then, would appreciate it if you can provide any relevant information!

1 hour ago, Della said:

Hey May I ask when and how did you get your UCI rejection? I've applied for History PhD at UCI too and have an informal meeting with my POI in Jan. Yet it's been dead silence since then, would appreciate it if you can provide any relevant information!

I won't be able to help you; my application to UCI was not coordinated by the graduate school.

Edited by sciencehistorian

Hey everyone, this is my first post here on Gradcafe. As I have noticed that there are several fellow History and/or Middle Eastern Studies program applicants here, I came to say that the joint History and Middle Eastern Studies program at Harvard has released its results, I was offered a waitlist and anticipate that the final decisions for offered were given simultaneously. This is my first round of application so I did not even expect to be offered a waitlist from Harvard! Kinds of feeling flattered. I hope everyone the best of luck with their application process.

Hi everyone! 

B.A. Wayne State

M.A. Purdue

I applied to Illinois, IU, Columbia, Kansas, Purdue, Memphis, and Kent State

(Orange is waitlist and red is rejection)

I'm studying American sports history

1 minute ago, badfurry69 said:

Illinois sent out waitlists at least. Purdue is any day now

I've seen two people say they're wait listed at Purdue. Are you on the WL at UIUC? What's your subfield (if you don't mind sharing)?

Just now, ladydobz said:

I've seen two people say they're wait listed at Purdue. Are you on the WL at UIUC? What's your subfield (if you don't mind sharing)?

I'm on the waitlist at UIUC, and my subfield is American fencing history (like the sport where people stab each other).

On 2/16/2023 at 4:29 PM, ladydobz said:

I'm in the same boat with Illinois and Purdue. No indication of anything. 

I got accepted at UIUC in late January as did a couple others.

This does not mean that you did not get in - there may be multiple rounds or something - but I thought I should let you know.

Also: I don't think the waitlist was released yet

Just now, prospectiveafricanist said:

I got accepted at UIUC in late January as did a couple others.

This does not mean that you did not get in - there may be multiple rounds or something - but I thought I should let you know.

Also: I don't think the waitlist was released yet

Thank you, and congratulations!!!! 

With today's rejection from Harvard's HOS, I'm officially out for this year. Getting the "you were so close, surely you'll get a great offer from somewhere else" rejection from Cornell this morning too makes the feelings even more complicated. I'm an older candidate (30's, I guess that is old?) but have a BA in history from a top-20 university. Was battling chronic illness for the past 3 years and am now feeling even more behind at the prospect of not being able to start a new degree until 2024. Anyone else considering changing disciplines for another try? I'm only now wondering if I'm a better fit for anthropology MAs/PhDs and STS MAs. 

Finally, sending good vibes out to all the waitlisted people! I got in off the WL for my Masters and am all too familiar with the unique stress of it. Fingers crossed for ya'll and your funding $$