2023 Application Thread

dr. t

1 hour ago, porcelainruby said:

With today's rejection from Harvard's HOS, I'm officially out for this year. Getting the "you were so close, surely you'll get a great offer from somewhere else" rejection from Cornell this morning too makes the feelings even more complicated. I'm an older candidate (30's, I guess that is old?) but have a BA in history from a top-20 university. Was battling chronic illness for the past 3 years and am now feeling even more behind at the prospect of not being able to start a new degree until 2024. Anyone else considering changing disciplines for another try? I'm only now wondering if I'm a better fit for anthropology MAs/PhDs and STS MAs. 

Finally, sending good vibes out to all the waitlisted people! I got in off the WL for my Masters and am all too familiar with the unique stress of it. Fingers crossed for ya'll and your funding $$

Never give up, King. 

Out of curiosity, how many schools did you apply to.

Also: if anything, switching to anthropology might make your path more difficult since the top schools have an even lower acceptance rate in anthropology.

10 minutes ago, prospectiveafricanist said:

Never give up, King. 

Out of curiosity, how many schools did you apply to.

Also: if anything, switching to anthropology might make your path more difficult since the top schools have an even lower acceptance rate in anthropology.

Thank you, I appreciate it! I applied to 8 PhD programs at 7 schools, a mixture of US history, history of science, and one American Studies. 

I know anthro doesn't really have better stats compared to history, but I'm wondering if my Master of Fine Arts/writing background might be valued more over there in the ethnographic sense more vs History. 

48 minutes ago, porcelainruby said:

Thank you, I appreciate it! I applied to 8 PhD programs at 7 schools, a mixture of US history, history of science, and one American Studies. 

I know anthro doesn't really have better stats compared to history, but I'm wondering if my Master of Fine Arts/writing background might be valued more over there in the ethnographic sense more vs History. 

Ahh that makes sense.

There are also lots of good visual arts programs which let you do historical/antrhopological stuff. (I am thinking specifically about a book I read which used a visual arts approach to look at change in Swahili coast urban areas).

Anyways,

good luck and all the best

On 2/25/2023 at 1:22 PM, ladydobz said:

Has anyone else heard from UIUC? I only saw the first two acceptances and one WL... 

I can't actually remember if I was one of the ones who posted my acceptance on the decisions page or not but I heard from them in early Feb I think. I do know the admitted students visit day is coming up this week so they've probably sent out all the acceptances by now but maybe not waitlists? In any case I hope you get good news!

6 minutes ago, badfurry69 said:

Are you going to the recruiting event?

No, I live too far away and honestly the 300 $ reimbursement their offering wouldn't cover hotel + travel. I am also not super interested in the program (although faculty is great - why I applied), I just don't really want be in middle of nowhere Illinois for 4+ years.

18 hours ago, KinOfKafka said:

No, I live too far away and honestly the 300 $ reimbursement their offering wouldn't cover hotel + travel. I am also not super interested in the program (although faculty is great - why I applied), I just don't really want be in middle of nowhere Illinois for 4+ years.

Fair enough. Illinois is my top school so I'm pretty excited for the recruiting event tbh.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:19 PM, porcelainruby said:

What's your research area in history of science?

21 hours ago, psstein said:

What's your research area in history of science?

20th century US with environmental and STS interests. 

I think I'm more just sad my previous masters didn't count 'enough' to work out this season haha (because I'm already in my thirties), but I am coming to terms with it and now considering some 1 year masters programs for next round. 

What do y'all think about emailing schools to ask when to expect a response? I have a few schools left who I haven't heard from, and of course it's not considered "late" until after March 15th, but I am a little worried about one.

I applied to UMass Amherst for a PhD in English, and I saw about 5 different posts about responses back in late January, but I still haven't heard anything, which makes me wonder if I should email them, in case there was some issue and they meant to send my rejection or something lol

7 hours ago, porcelainruby said:

20th century US with environmental and STS interests. 

I think I'm more just sad my previous masters didn't count 'enough' to work out this season haha (because I'm already in my thirties), but I am coming to terms with it and now considering some 1 year masters programs for next round. 

Yeah, that would explain some of the issues. A lot of history of science departments are adamant that STS is not the same thing (though I'd argue the line between the disciplines is much, much thinner than it used to be).

I would encourage you to think about your future in terms of your goals. History of science is a tiny sub-field in the ever-shrinking pool of history. STS is even smaller. Would earning a 1 yr MA/MPhil bring you closer to your goals? Or would you be better served narrowing your focus and improving your application materials?

Realistically, a one-year program is closer to a two-year time investment, if you wanted to make the most out of it to get into a top-tier PhD program.

Time is the most precious resource we have!

7 hours ago, swhittle said:

What do y'all think about emailing schools to ask when to expect a response? I have a few schools left who I haven't heard from, and of course it's not considered "late" until after March 15th, but I am a little worried about one.

I applied to UMass Amherst for a PhD in English, and I saw about 5 different posts about responses back in late January, but I still haven't heard anything, which makes me wonder if I should email them, in case there was some issue and they meant to send my rejection or something lol

You might be better served asking this in the English sub-forum, but FWIW, some programs have waves of acceptances. They'll send a first, then a second, then a third round, based on priority/which students have chosen to come/funding.

Alternatively, some programs do wait until the last minute to send out rejections.

Has anyone heard anything from Umass Amherst, University of Pittsburgh, NYU, or Northeastern?

I went to the Northeastern event for those on the shortlist, they said it would be 1-2 weeks with a decision (which it has been), but I still haven't heard anything.

5 hours ago, KinOfKafka said:

Has anyone heard anything from Umass Amherst, University of Pittsburgh, NYU, or Northeastern?

I went to the Northeastern event for those on the shortlist, they said it would be 1-2 weeks with a decision (which it has been), but I still haven't heard anything.

I’m waiting on UMass as well!