MEM 2011 applicants

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently studying in Columbia's M.S. in Sustainability Management program now. Feel free to shoot me questions here guys

Hey chenchak!

What other programs did you apply to? And what made you choose Columbia? The website also said that they may require an admissions interview... did you go in for one?

Thanks!

2shieh

Hey everyone! I haven't posted on this feed over the past few months... but I figure that I would put up an update now that the apps are done and the responses are coming in!

Applied to:

UCSB MEM

University of Washington Evan's School of Public Affairs, concentration in Environmental Policy

UPenn Masters of Arts in Environmental Studies (School of Liberal Arts and Sciences)

Columbia Masters of Science in Sustainability Management (School of Continuing Education)

University of Michigan Masters of Science in Sustainability Systems (School of Natural Resources)

Yale MEM (School of Forestry and Environmental Studies)

Stats:

Undergrad institution: UC Irvine

GPA: 3.54

GRE: 1280

2 years of unrelated work exp; 8+ years as volunteer in NGO; studied abroad in Beijing

Accepted:

UMich! No word on scholarships/fellowships so far

Rejected:

none so far!

Gluck to everyone!

2shieh

update! just got accepted to UPenn!! WOOHOO!! this is gonna be a tough decision...

@ seahawk- No, I don't expect to be in the US until mid August!

@2shieh- I submitted my application on the November 29 but my TOEFL scores were late, so I only got the email informing me that my packet was complete and under review on Jan 8. I got impatient with the news of other peoples' admits so I emailed them Feb 17 and got the response 2 days later. I don't think they were in any hurry to notify me if I hadn't asked :P

Update! I was accepted at Duke MEM with a $7000 scholarship and $2900 assistantship! Not sure if it is only for 1 year or for both. Any other updates?

Congrats. I spoke to an admissions rep back in the fall, and she told me that the committee wouldn't begin looking at applications until mid-February. As a result, I didn't submit mine until late January. Now I wish I had gotten my application in sooner. It would be great to already have a decision ...

Just received my acceptance to Duke Nicholas School via e-mail prompting me to the Apply yourself website. They offered a little bit of a scholarship (although not enough to make me take the prerequisites and move to Durham).

What do you consider a little bit? (sorry for being nosy :)

I got in too!

Without any scholarship though :(

I got into CMU MISM with 2k schol / sem.

Wondering which one would be a better fit now.

So if the acceptance letter did not mention funding that means we didn't get any? If so, that makes my decision a little easier!

What do you consider a little bit? (sorry for being nosy :)

saeahawk2k: they offered $6K for the first year, and $3K for the second year. Considering the tuition, I doubt it is going to make me chose Duke over Berkeley, which is much more affordable due to in-state tuition and an additional (modest) fellowship.

saeahawk2k: they offered $6K for the first year, and $3K for the second year. Considering the tuition, I doubt it is going to make me chose Duke over Berkeley, which is much more affordable due to in-state tuition and an additional (modest) fellowship.

Thanks. How did you know what they offered for the second year? I have emailed to ask if the scholarship is the same for the second year but they have not replied.

Do you mind sharing how/when you were notified? I have been waiting on their results for a while.

I was notified by email that I was admitted last Friday. Then when I checked/online it said admitted.

Thanks. How did you know what they offered for the second year? I have emailed to ask if the scholarship is the same for the second year but they have not replied.

seahawk2k: the letter stated the scholarship amount for both the first and the second year.

Accepted... with 4 prerequisites??!... and a scholarship? why does this feel like an awesome acceptance with a strong aftertaste of a rejection? FOUR prerequisites?!

Congrats!!!