I/O Applicants 2011

ynos23

Hi All,

I saw the 2010 applicants thread, but I thought I'd start a new one for the 2011 group of applicants. I'm planning on applying to a few different schools/programs (MA and PhD) for the fall of 2011, but my stats aren't the best. I haven't yet taken the GREs, but my GPA is a 3.00, and my psych GPA is a 3.12. so far i've been scoring in the high 700s for the quanti, but not so great on the verbal. Do I even have a chance at getting into eitehr program? I know i'll get really good rec letters, and i will 3 yrs of research experience under my belt by the time i apply.

What are all your thoughts?

Feel free to add anything else I/O related to this post.

Edited by ynos23

Hi All,

I saw the 2010 applicants thread, but I thought I'd start a new one for the 2011 group of applicants. I'm planning on applying to a few different schools/programs (MA and PhD) for the fall of 2011, but my stats aren't the best. I haven't yet taken the GREs, but my GPA is a 3.00, and my psych GPA is a 3.12. so far i've been scoring in the high 700s for the quanti, but not so great on the verbal. Do I even have a chance at getting into eitehr program? I know i'll get really good rec letters, and i will 3 yrs of research experience under my belt by the time i apply.

What are all your thoughts?

Feel free to add anything else I/O related to this post.

Well the GPA is a bit weak, however it depends on where you are intending to apply. I think PhD programs are going to be tough to get into but the MA programs may not be as bad. State schools may be a good fit for you, considering the weakness of the GPA. If you do well enough on the GREs it might help you out. My GPA was 3.7 but my GRE scores only totaled 1120 and I had research experience and I was accepted at a MA program. When I was first applying a professor I know told me that State schools will take everything into account a little more than will private universities.

Well the GPA is a bit weak, however it depends on where you are intending to apply. I think PhD programs are going to be tough to get into but the MA programs may not be as bad. State schools may be a good fit for you, considering the weakness of the GPA. If you do well enough on the GREs it might help you out. My GPA was 3.7 but my GRE scores only totaled 1120 and I had research experience and I was accepted at a MA program. When I was first applying a professor I know told me that State schools will take everything into account a little more than will private universities.

Thanks JGunn. I'll definitely take that into consideration while applying.

Hi all. I'm planning on applying to I/O programs this fall. I will be an undergraduate senior this coming year w/ a double major (honors in both) and a 3.9 GPA at a top 50 university. I will be doing research with an I/O faculty this fall and have had 1 other semester doing research work. I have a few questions:

-Is it a good idea for me to apply to PhD programs without having graduated yet? Or is an MA option the best idea? I am VERY confident that I/O psych is the kind of work I want to be doing.

-The "recommended" Psychology GRE: I'm very sure I can get a great score on this exam (psychology regurgitation on a MC test is one of my strong points). Is it worth the time or is it a worthless stat?

-Are applicants who apply to PhD programs and don't get in offered a spot in MA programs?

-If anyone has helpful admissions information about Columbia, NYU, or Baruch, that would be great.

Hi all. I'm planning on applying to I/O programs this fall. I will be an undergraduate senior this coming year w/ a double major (honors in both) and a 3.9 GPA at a top 50 university. I will be doing research with an I/O faculty this fall and have had 1 other semester doing research work. I have a few questions:

-Is it a good idea for me to apply to PhD programs without having graduated yet? Or is an MA option the best idea? I am VERY confident that I/O psych is the kind of work I want to be doing.

-The "recommended" Psychology GRE: I'm very sure I can get a great score on this exam (psychology regurgitation on a MC test is one of my strong points). Is it worth the time or is it a worthless stat?

-Are applicants who apply to PhD programs and don't get in offered a spot in MA programs?

-If anyone has helpful admissions information about Columbia, NYU, or Baruch, that would be great.

If you are confident you will do well on the Psychology GRE then taking it will only help strengthen your application. As far as I know, you have to apply specifically for a MA or PhD program, they don't usual place you into a MA program because you didn't get into the PhD program you applied at. However some programs do have terminal masters programs as part of the PhD process. As far as applying, my suggestion would be to apply at both PhD and MA programs. With a solid GPA, good GRE scores and research on your CV you have a good chance of getting into a PhD program, however they are highly selective and applying at a few MA programs will allow you to have a backup in case you don't gain entry into one of the PhD programs you wanted. Good Luck!

^

I really don't want to go into a Master's program if PhD programs will offer a Master's after 2 years. I am a bit discouraged that the majority of PhD candidates got their MA before entering the PhD program. Is going straight out of college to a PhD in I/O psych a common and/or accepted practice?

^

I really don't want to go into a Master's program if PhD programs will offer a Master's after 2 years. I am a bit discouraged that the majority of PhD candidates got their MA before entering the PhD program. Is going straight out of college to a PhD in I/O psych a common and/or accepted practice?

I went for the MA program because I wasn't a strong enough candidate to make it directly into a PhD program. Ideally, if your goal is to go for a PhD you would want to get into a PhD program and save yourself both time and money. Most PhD programs don't take into account the fact that you already have a MA so you would be spending two years getting an MA and then another 4/5 years getting your PhD. I don't know if the majority are getting their MA first, or why they would be, I just know my story which is that the MA was more realistically obtainable at the time.

Rather than start a new thread I decided to piggie-back off of this when.

I am going to be a senior applying for I/O phd programs and was wondering if anyone had an advice or schools that they thought would be within my range.

I have roughly a 3.6 gpa, 3.4 in my major from a top 50 school (public). I did not take the psych subject test yet but got a 1280 on my GRE (750-Q 530-V) I have been doing research at school for many years and am looking at schools primarily on the eastern coast but I will go anywhere. If anyone has any ideas on schools I could apply to or if they think I would be a serious candidate I truly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.