Reapplying for 2011

aem88

Hi all,

I'm reapplying to Media Studies PhD programs for the 2011 year, after going 0-7 in applications last app round, some new programs and some that I applied to last year. I asked this qusetion I think last year, but I'm still mulling it over. I have a writing sample that I used last year, it is my best writing sample from what was basically my MA thesis. I by no means think it contributed to the rejections, but I guess you never know. There is one program that I came really close to getting into last year, that I am reapplying to, so my question is...should I use the same writing sample or start from scratch? Starting from scratch would allow me to cover a more updated topic, and show that I am still capable of graduate work, I received my MA in 2008 and have been working in higher ed admin since. But, at the same time, I don't really have the same support group of being in a graduate program now as I did when I wrote my thesis, so I'm not sure it would show the work I'm capable of. Any suggestions? Do you think submitting the same writing samlpe, with some updates/revisions, would be okay? I want my app to be different from last year, I'm retaking the GRE and writing a new SOP, but really I don't really have much else new to add from last years app. My stats are good UGPA: 3.9 MA GPA: 4.0 GRE: Q-570 V-630 (I'm retaking it in the fall); two conference presentations, fellowships, scholarships, internships in the field and teaching experience, so I'm just trying to figure out how to tweak everything from last year.

Also, for the program I'm reapplying to, I did have a interview with a prospective advisor, who was really nice, we have VERY similar research interests and he contacted me directly by email to inform me of the rejection. He said the main reason for my rejection was that there was so many applicants and they were trying to find people whose research fit exactly with the three faculty members in the program subfield I was applying to. He said my app was excellent, but others fit more cleanly into all the faculty research interests. Obviously I will address fit more closely in my SOP this year. However, I would like to contact him and let him know I am reapplying, I was also thinking of contacting the two other faculty members as well, which I didn't do last year. I'm just not sure how to go about this, what to say, etc. Many of my questions were answered last year, and I really feel it's the perfect program for me, so I guess this round I need to make sure my research fit is expressed perfectly. Any suggestions on how to go about contacting these professors this time around?

Thanks ahead of time, and good luck to all those applying (or reapplying) for 2011!

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, as I previously applied (although I had some solid success), and will be reapplying this year. I do not think starting from scratch is probably worth your time, as it is significantly harder to write a strong writing sample without the support, editors, and advisors that the grad school/academic environment offer. If you can polish your writing sample and incorporate feedback you received from the conferences, that is probably the best you can do. I would also focus on the GRE, as there is room to improve there. Given that I don't know your application, it is hard to say where you can improve, but I would think about each section individually - SOP, LORs, etc... and think of any small improvements you can make in each section (such as choosing new people to write your LORs).

That's my two cents. Cheers,

Thanks for the advice. I think that makes complete sense. It's funny, because I stressed over this last year and came to the same conclusion, but I think my confidence has fallen down a few pegs since last year's rejections. I'm going to start sending out emails to potential advisors, and my old professors that helped me last round, to see where they think I should focus. Personally, I think that if I work really hard on expressing fit with faculty, especially in the program I was interviewed in last round, that I have a good chance of being accepted this time around (at least that's what I keep telling myself). Any suggestions on how to approach faculty after previously being rejected? I'm a neurotic nut when it comes to sending out emails to potential advisors.

I wasn't sure immediately after I was rejected last year if I wanted to go through this all again, but I absolutely do. Hopefully the determination will pay off and it won't feel like an exercise in masochism any more.

I hope that your applications go well this year and you are admitted to a program that you are passionate about. Thanks again for your advice and good luck!

As far as contacting professors, I wouldn't stress over it. I assume they already know you didn't get in last year, so you can explain that you are still committed and you've been doing XYZ to strengthen your application and you really hope they will recommender you again.

I have a little bit more explaining to do since I got into some top programs and ended up turning them down. Even still, all of the faculty have been very supportive and willing to assist.

Best of luck!

My advice is to be honest. The fact that you are re-applying shows that you are committed and really want to do this. I would be blunt with your potential advisors and ask them what about your applications made them weaker last time around, and then try to fix them. The real issue (as someone who re-applied) is that there really isn't that much time between now and when the applications are due to fix something like weak languages, which was one of my issues. I had to work my butt off over the summer & early fall to be able to claim that my languages were better than they were the last time around. Everyone freaks out about GRE scores which honestly aren't that important relative to issues like languages and LORs from your professors. Find out your weaknesses, fix them, reapply. Good luck!

Thanks for the advise. I think I'm just going to email them, let them know I'm reapplying, and see if there is anything in particular I should work on this round. I was told "fit" was an issue, and I can definately improve on that in my SOP. As for taking the GRE's, my scores were just okay, and I know it's not that important in my field, but it will be five years in November since I took them the first time, so I figured updated scores can't hurt, unless I bomb it...

I had really good LOR's the first time (I didn't read them, but I know they were good because I have a very good relationship with all the professors who wrote for me). The pontential advisor actually knows two of them pretty well, so I don't think my LOR's need to change.

You're right about it not being a whole lot of time to change things. Around the time of all the rejections last round, I was also looking for a job, and started a new position about four months ago, so I haven't really had much time to add much to my CV or anything. At this point, all I can really do is work on my SOP, refine my writing sample, and study/retake the GRE. Hopefully it will work this round, cause this is an exhausting process and I don't even want to think about having to go through it a third time.

Thanks again!