History of Art - MA/PhD 2011??

koala07

Guest Amon-Ra

Thanks for posting this, and to recycledviking for sharing in the sentiment. I also have yet to get a decision and I applied to 7 schools. It can be discouraging to read this board, where it seems like everyone has heard at least something. It's good to know that there are others out there still in the dark!

Also, what does "you'll hear from us shortly" mean to you guys? A week? Two? I'm kinda losing it. I would prefer "you'll hear from us on Thursday, Februrary 24 at 3:47pm" next time, thank you very much.

I'm really glad you guys posted about this because I'm in the same position, and since I know some of my schools have sent acceptances I'm not very hopeful. Without unduly tolling the bells, I just want to say how impressed I am by people who can stay graceful in difficult or painful situations. A strong and stylish response to rejection is at least as impressive as an acceptance, and if I can't have one I'm certainly going to try for the other!

Also, what does "you'll hear from us shortly" mean to you guys?

It means that the POIs I visited in October told me that I'd be hearing from them at the end of January or beginning of February and wellll... :rolleyes:

The best case scenario is, of course, that our POI calls us as soon as s/he opens our application and says "By golly, we'll take you and pay for it too!" Those of us who've recently posted to this board are clearly not in this position, so consider the WORST case scenario: our application doesn't even make it to our POI; the DGS or the administrative assistant (!) takes one look at our GPA, GRE, or whatever, laughs, and puts us in the "REJECT!! And Tell 'Em Now So They Stop Bugging Us" pile. I would know, last time around I had three rejections before was even expecting to hear from a school!

No, making it to the end of February means that we are not worthless. We're not hot-shot first pick superstars, but who cares? It's happened where people who look best on paper are actually not able to cut it in a graduate academic environment. (And just look at sports to see how many first-round draft picks of yesteryear aren't even remembered now, whereas some of our favorite players only barely made it to the major leagues.) I'm not going to lie and say "Just hold on, you'll get in somewhere!" but I will say that not hearing from a school at this point doesn't mean that you have been rejected and they just haven't told you yet. Grad schools, like employers with too many applicants, WANT to get rid of you as quickly as possible.

It's not over 'til it's over, no rejections until rejected!!

It means that the POIs I visited in October told me that I'd be hearing from them at the end of January or beginning of February and wellll... :rolleyes:

The best case scenario is, of course, that our POI calls us as soon as s/he opens our application and says "By golly, we'll take you and pay for it too!" Those of us who've recently posted to this board are clearly not in this position, so consider the WORST case scenario: our application doesn't even make it to our POI; the DGS or the administrative assistant (!) takes one look at our GPA, GRE, or whatever, laughs, and puts us in the "REJECT!! And Tell 'Em Now So They Stop Bugging Us" pile. I would know, last time around I had three rejections before was even expecting to hear from a school!

No, making it to the end of February means that we are not worthless. We're not hot-shot first pick superstars, but who cares? It's happened where people who look best on paper are actually not able to cut it in a graduate academic environment. (And just look at sports to see how many first-round draft picks of yesteryear aren't even remembered now, whereas some of our favorite players only barely made it to the major leagues.) I'm not going to lie and say "Just hold on, you'll get in somewhere!" but I will say that not hearing from a school at this point doesn't mean that you have been rejected and they just haven't told you yet. Grad schools, like employers with too many applicants, WANT to get rid of you as quickly as possible.

It's not over 'til it's over, no rejections until rejected!!

This is such a comforting post that I can hardly express my thanks for your existence :D I LOVE this!!!!!! :D

How about my fellow Colorado - Boulder admit? Who did you apply to work with, and do you think you'll end up there?

Also, have an UT Austin admits received funding offers? I know the e-mail said we would know by March 7th, but I'm anxious to see if some people have already been notified.

I've finished my Starry Night puzzle. . . . and now I'm beginning to feel as if I'm in the Shining. The silence is driving me into an irredeemable psychotic state. March 3rd seems to not be a good day on the results page. . . . .

*breathes through a paper bag*

I've been telling everyone come what may. Now I'm twitching, hahaha.

Soooooo speaking of Williams... Congrats to the admit!!! Care to share...?

I'm interested to hear too.

I just got accepted to the Courtauld and getting into Williams is just about the only thing that might keep me from accepting it.

I see there are a couple rejections from Northwestern on the Results page. How were you notified? I've received no correspondence from NU and just went to the online application and there was no decision to view. What does this mean? Is there a waiting list? I know that their accepted students weekend is coming up... Do I still have hope?!

I haven't received any rejections (though two acceptances), but the waiting is just killing me. Literal limbo. I can't help but stay positive, thinking that not having a definite rejection means there might be a waiting list option.... Am I being delusional?

I see there are a couple rejections from Northwestern on the Results page. How were you notified? I've received no correspondence from NU and just went to the online application and there was no decision to view. What does this mean? Is there a waiting list? I know that their accepted students weekend is coming up... Do I still have hope?!

I don't know anything about Northwestern, but some schools have an "A list" and "B list," in case the people on the A list don't accept. So it could be a good sign.

I haven't heard from any schools (applied to 4) and am dying! Any info on Williams would be appreciated. I expected to hear from Yale this week, given they sent out their decisions on March 1 last year, but so far nothing.

I didn't receive an email or anything - just saw the postings on the results page and so checked the website and had the rejection waiting there for me. The link was not super conspicuous there at the bottom so it took me a second to see it - but there it was with my admissions decision that I had already pretty much figured on given that acceptances were given 2 weeks ago :)

I don't know anything about Northwestern, but some schools have an "A list" and "B list," in case the people on the A list don't accept. So it could be a good sign.

I haven't heard from any schools (applied to 4) and am dying! Any info on Williams would be appreciated. I expected to hear from Yale this week, given they sent out their decisions on March 1 last year, but so far nothing.

I'm waiting to hear back from Yale, too. It's my dream school. I'm getting really nervous... unsure.gif

I didn't receive an email or anything - just saw the postings on the results page and so checked the website and had the rejection waiting there for me. The link was not super conspicuous there at the bottom so it took me a second to see it - but there it was with my admissions decision that I had already pretty much figured on given that acceptances were given 2 weeks ago :)

Same here. I saw the rejections on the results page and then went to the website. I haven't received any thing from them just what was on the website.

I'm waiting to hear back from Yale, too. It's my dream school. I'm getting really nervous... unsure.gif

Has anyone been able to verify if the 15 feb post on Yale art history post is true? If so, can we say that all those who are admitted have been notified mid-feb?

ahhhhhh I might as well post a rejection letter to myself to put a stop to this hopeless waiting!

Has anyone been able to verify if the 15 feb post on Yale art history post is true? If so, can we say that all those who are admitted have been notified mid-feb?

ahhhhhh I might as well post a rejection letter to myself to put a stop to this hopeless waiting!

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!

But I've come to tell myself that the date really doesn't mean much; it can vary from year to year depending on the amount of applications, etc. That is, of course, just something I tell myself to comfort myself, because it's my dream school... We'll see.

My heart goes out to the person who emailed their Harvard POI. Rough!

I like the idea about writing oneself a rejection letter... Oh, the cynicism of Grad Cafe.... :)

Hi Rambir, have you applied to Yale art hist as well? if yes, what area?