Awkward question on diversity-based fellowships

CA1234

Hi everyone. I was encouraged by my professor to apply to diversity-based fellowships. The thing is that my professor said that I qualify because I've had diabetes my whole life. I don't want to be unethical and apply to a scholarship that isn't meant for me. When you hear about diversity-based fellowships, are they meant for people with chronic diseases? If not, do you know about fellowships that are more within my identify?

I am disabled so I am also sometimes in this situation. First, disability and chronic illness does count as "diversity." But when applying for fellowships, you need to pay attention to the specific language of each individual fellowship. Some fellowships might specify that they want to support students of color. Others might specify that they want to support first-generation students. Still more might just ask for anyone with a "diverse perspective" or other generic language. If the fellowship falls into the latter category, then yes, you are eligible. You can make a case for yourself in the application materials. And if you really aren't sure, just reach out to the granting institution and ask! 

I agree with the previous poster. I am "diverse" by various metrics and am close to a few people with lifelong diabetes. Chronic diabetes is a serious issue that you have needed to manage. The goal of diversity-based fellowships is to reward you for overcoming a significant adversity and to somewhat ease the unfair burden on you of having to navigate the ablist, sexist, racist, etc., academy. So I'd say you definitely qualify for general diversity-based fellowships or fellowships specifically geared towards disabled students.