"Target Schools" for international relations/political science/public policy careers?

philbegas

Question

This is my first post here so hopefully I'm doing this right. I have a BSBA in finance (3.6 gpa) and I currently work in portfolio/business valuation. The work is fine but it is not very interesting or fulfilling. All the way back to high school I had a great interest in international relations, public policy, government, etc, and I am thinking about trying to transition back into that somehow. In my mind that includes things such as working for a NGO, a non-profit, working in campaign finance, a government agency, or something along those lines. In finance we have a term called "target schools" which are schools known for placing people into industry jobs. Whether that's physical proximity, campus recruiting, internship connections, or something like that, it's just a way to hedge your bets and try to set yourself up for a more successful job application process. Are there schools for IR/PP/Gov that have a similar situation? I would imagine schools in places like DC, NYC, California, would probably have good connections. But are there lesser known schools that have connections like that?

7 answers to this question

On 6/13/2022 at 1:36 PM, philbegas said:

This is my first post here so hopefully I'm doing this right. I have a BSBA in finance (3.6 gpa) and I currently work in portfolio/business valuation. The work is fine but it is not very interesting or fulfilling. All the way back to high school I had a great interest in international relations, public policy, government, etc, and I am thinking about trying to transition back into that somehow. In my mind that includes things such as working for a NGO, a non-profit, working in campaign finance, a government agency, or something along those lines. In finance we have a term called "target schools" which are schools known for placing people into industry jobs. Whether that's physical proximity, campus recruiting, internship connections, or something like that, it's just a way to hedge your bets and try to set yourself up for a more successful job application process. Are there schools for IR/PP/Gov that have a similar situation? I would imagine schools in places like DC, NYC, California, would probably have good connections. But are there lesser known schools that have connections like that?

Yes, DC schools are usually a good bet. DC also offer a wide array of different tier schools with excellent placement outcomes: from Georgetown to George Washington, to Johns Hopkins. PP also has a wide array of different schools with different selectivity. What do you mean by lesser known schools though? Are you referring to competitivity?

3 hours ago, philbegas said:

Well sometimes a particular company or agency might have a recruiting connection with a smaller/lesser known college. 

But yes, having schools with slightly higher acceptance rates than Ivy & equivalents would be good too.

The 3  I mentioned then would be good choices. JH has many different options. In terms of selectivity index, I'd say Georgetown is the hardest, JH second, and GW third.

21 hours ago, Boolakanaka said:

You could consider a combine mba/mpa at a place like Yale. Its business school, aka SOM, has historically been considered the incubator for executive non-profit leadership, and the recently created Jackson school will provide to the topics within an international context.

The MBA/MPA at SOM requires at least 5 years of work experience and requires two separate applications. But yeah, great choice for someone with the experience and stamina to go through a somewhat demanding application process...:)

Have browse through the government affairs sub.  You will find a lot of info there about which schools are good fits for certain types of students, be it they want to work for federal government, international NGO, local government, and more.  

19 hours ago, DaisyB said:

Yes, DC schools are usually a good bet. DC also offer a wide array of different tier schools with excellent placement outcomes: from Georgetown to George Washington, to Johns Hopkins. PP also has a wide array of different schools with different selectivity. What do you mean by lesser known schools though? Are you referring to competitivity?

Well sometimes a particular company or agency might have a recruiting connection with a smaller/lesser known college. 

But yes, having schools with slightly higher acceptance rates than Ivy & equivalents would be good too.

On 6/13/2022 at 11:36 AM, philbegas said:

You could consider a combine mba/mpa at a place like Yale. Its business school, aka SOM, has historically been considered the incubator for executive non-profit leadership, and the recently created Jackson school will provide to the topics within an international context.

15 minutes ago, DaisyB said:

The MBA/MPA at SOM requires at least 5 years of work experience and requires two separate applications. But yeah, great choice for someone with the experience and stamina to go through a somewhat demanding application process...:)

If you are aspiring to attend a place like Yale, the application process, is but a tiny part of the journey. But, what I would say, if one finds the application process to be arduous and prohibitive, then you most likely already have your answer as to whether its the best place for you.....