Fulbright-Hays DDRA 2022-2023

eventualanthropologist

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 9:12 AM, eventualanthropologist said:

Has anyone received the form to declare continued interest from their University point person yet? Last year I received this form in early July, but this year I haven't heard anything yet...

I believe that we were asked to submit the continued interest form last week. We had to submit the completed form by August 10th. 

• 4 weeks later...

Such a frustrating wait! They had said they would send out announcements in early September in an email forwarded by our dean, but perhaps they define that range of dates differently than the rest of us. All that to say: no word over here! I also checked G5, in case there was an update in the portal, but my application status is still "submitted." 

Still waiting and was told “early September”  like everyone else it seems. Last message from my institution’s point person suggested announcements may not come until late this month and we should be ready to accept/decline with short notice. 

Fingers crossed we hear soon, it’s the waiting that’s killing me!

We were told late last week that the Secretary of the DDRA had sent approval, but they're waiting on final approval from the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board and the Office of Legislative and Congressional Affairs, and that there will probably be a short window to accept/decline the awards, so be regularly checking email.

Edited by granulardisplay
typo

1 hour ago, granulardisplay said:

We were told late last week that the Secretary of the DDRA had sent approval, but they're waiting on final approval from the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board and the Office of Legislative and Congressional Affairs, and that there will probably be a short window to accept/decline the awards, so be regularly checking email.

The Fulbright coordinator at my university lags in sending out information to us. Last year she didn’t notify me that I had been awarded a different award until after my proposed start date and only because I emailed her to about reapplying. I think I’ll be more likely to find out results are out because of someone posting here. So, if you get news please post. 

17 hours ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

The Fulbright coordinator at my university lags in sending out information to us. Last year she didn’t notify me that I had been awarded a different award until after my proposed start date and only because I emailed her to about reapplying. I think I’ll be more likely to find out results are out because of someone posting here. So, if you get news please post. 

Sure, I'll let you know as soon as I hear if others don't post first. Good luck.

I received an email earlier today from my university's Fulbright coordinator on being designated as the principal candidate. 

Is there another step after this? Sounds pretty good, but also don't want to count my chickens you know. 

Edit: Just like a few hours ago. 

Edited by Alioth

10 hours ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

Welp… the Fulbright coordinator at my university is out of the office ? so I guess I won’t know my status until Monday at the earliest.

congratulation to all those awarded.

So, I don't want to panic you unnecessarily, but I did get an additional email with the financial details and application evaluation and I was told my deadline to accept the offer was the 26th of September "with no exception." I hope you hear back or try to get in contact soon. Maybe it's by school, but just in case. 

Edited by Alioth

14 hours ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

For anyone who is a heritage speaker and got points deducted for that see this press release by the New Civil Liberties Alliance.

This is so f'ed up and structurally discourages communities being studied/engaged by their own community members. I cannot believe points--so many points!!!--are actively deducted for native speakers. Is this widely known, or does this just come up unexpectedly when people get their review forms back? Thank you for sharing this press release. 

9 hours ago, Alioth said:

So, I don't want to panic you unnecessarily, but I did get an additional email with the financial details and application evaluation and I was told my deadline to accept the offer was the 26th of September "with no exception." I hope you hear back or try to get in contact soon. Maybe it's by school, but just in case. 

Well I reached out to my university and Fulbright, but I doubt I’ll get a response over the weekend. ?

4 minutes ago, misyfatsylany said:

This is so f'ed up and structurally discourages communities being studied/engaged by their own community members. I cannot believe points--so many points!!!--are actively deducted for native speakers. Is this widely known, or does this just come up unexpectedly when people get their review forms back? Thank you for sharing this press release. 

I haven’t gotten my results back yet. Under the agreement for this year I shouldn’t get all points deducted, but we’ll have to wait and see what happens. Maybe that’s one of the reasons I haven’t received results yet. However, I’m a heritage speaker and I wasn’t aware. Neither were my university Fulbright-Hays coordinator or my advisor who was a previous Fulbright recipient.