Fulbright-Hays DDRA 2022-2023

eventualanthropologist

2 minutes ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

I haven’t gotten my results back yet. Under the agreement for this year I shouldn’t get all points deducted, but we’ll have to wait and see what happens. Maybe that’s one of the reasons I haven’t received results yet. However, I’m a heritage speaker and I wasn’t aware. Neither were my university Fulbright-Hays coordinator or my advisor who was a previous Fulbright recipient. 

There is someone on twitter who shared that they did get 15 points deducted in this cycle for this reason. Did you see this tweet: 

2 minutes ago, misyfatsylany said:

There is someone on twitter who shared that they did get 15 points deducted in this cycle for this reason. Did you see this tweet: 

Well that is devastating’ I hadn’t see the post , but my friend shared the press release with me because she knew I was applying to Fulbright-Hays and I’m a heritage speaker. 

11 minutes ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

Well that is devastating’ I hadn’t see the post , but my friend shared the press release with me because she knew I was applying to Fulbright-Hays and I’m a heritage speaker. 

Here's to hoping that this was not an across-the-board approach to the evaluation and not every evaluator deducted those points (though, obviously, this absolutely sucks/is deeply unfair to this particular applicant.) I'm so sorry you have to deal with this additional uncertainty/stress on top of the normal application stress. :(

Just chiming in here to say that I also haven't heard a peep from my department's Fulbright-Hays coordinator. I sent an email but I'm not expecting anything. At first was wondering whether they only sent emails to people who won the award but as the tweet demonstrates that's clearly not the case...or at least not across the board! Solidarity w/all of you still waiting to hear back ❤️ 

12 minutes ago, misyfatsylany said:

Here's to hoping that this was not an across-the-board approach to the evaluation and not every evaluator deducted those points (though, obviously, this absolutely sucks/is deeply unfair to this particular applicant.) I'm so sorry you have to deal with this additional uncertainty/stress on top of the normal application stress. :(

Thank you for your kindness! Crossing my fingers but not holding my breathe on this one.

I also wanted to post saying I haven’t heard back from anyone from my university either… Tried emailing early Friday but got no response.

I also applied as a heritage speaker and I really thank you all for sharing! This is so messed up, especially for folks who grew up in multilingual households.

Hopefully there’s some luck spread around for all of us. I’m trying to stay optimistic! Hope you all are as well. Of course, congrats to the winners :)

Edited by poweredbyespresso

53 minutes ago, realmarcelproust said:

Just chiming in here to say that I also haven't heard a peep from my department's Fulbright-Hays coordinator. I sent an email but I'm not expecting anything. At first was wondering whether they only sent emails to people who won the award but as the tweet demonstrates that's clearly not the case...or at least not across the board! Solidarity w/all of you still waiting to hear back ❤️ 

I’m so sorry that you are also still waiting for results, but I hope you hear good news soon. 

Hi everyone, I am the attorney at the New Civil Liberties Alliance who filed the lawsuit to force the Department of Education to stop discriminating on the basis of applicants' nationality (i.e., native language).

I can confirm this type of discrimination has been consistent and systematic since 1998, when the Department change its rules with the explicit purpose to favor "native born" applicants. 

The Department draws a (nonsensical) distinction between "native" speakers and "heritage" speakers and has systematically discriminated against both categories for over two decades. Because my client was deemed a "heritage" speaker, we were only able to force the Department to stop discriminating against similar "heritage" speaker applicants. And so the Department continued to discriminate against those whom it deemed to be "native" speakers this cycle. 

In response to NCLA's lawsuit, the Department has agreed to rewrite its rules for the next application cycle. But that does not help native speakers who suffered this cycle. In effect, the Department admits what it has been doing is wrong but was too lazy to change its practice for the 2022 cycle. 

If you are an applicant who was denied the fellowship this cycle because of your status as a native speaker, I would be interested in hearing from you. My email is sheng.li@ncla.legal. 

Edited by Sheng Li

I heard on Friday from our coordinator I received the award, with the 9/26 deadline to respond. I was quite overjoyed about that, but I have to say I'm now pretty disgusted hearing that people were discriminated against based on their national/linguistic background. International students already have so few funding options because of citizenship/residency reqs, especially with the recent discontinuation of several important fellowships. That this rule was imposed in 1998 to make sure students who were able to acquire citizenship or permanent residency were also prevented from winning the award is really unjust. It's good to hear people are fighting back and NCLA is on the case.

I was not awarded Fulbright-Hays. I also had 0/15 points in the language section, “The applicant is a native speaker of Spanish and therefore does not qualify for points in this category."

I’ll be reaching out to Fulbright since I am a heritage Spanish speaker, but I don’t know that anything will be done. (sigh)

Congratulations to all those awarded!  I’m sure you will have a wonderful time conducting your amazing work. 

Congrats to all those that received the award! And I'm sorry to folks who got duped out of it because of the native/heritage speaker clause.... It really defeats the purpose of international and global studies many times...

Side bar: has anyone not received any notification from their coordinator/university? Mine's been radio silent and it sounds like even if I got the award, the deadline to accept/decline has passed...

23 hours ago, poweredbyespresso said:

Congrats to all those that received the award! And I'm sorry to folks who got duped out of it because of the native/heritage speaker clause.... It really defeats the purpose of international and global studies many times...

Side bar: has anyone not received any notification from their coordinator/university? Mine's been radio silent and it sounds like even if I got the award, the deadline to accept/decline has passed...

Hoping you get some positive news soon.