MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

I got accepted to Pratt for Painting/Drawing yesterday and to SAIC 5 days ago. I was rejected from Yale and haven't heard back from RISD and Columbia(assume rejection). Preparing for the MFA really stressed me out. But then I could get a lot of info here while I'd prepared the application and waited for decisions. I hope you guys will hear the good news.

12 hours ago, ponyonotaleaf said:

Hi everyone! I am an international student applying for 3yr graphic design program.

Application status:

RISD (Accepted)

Calarts(Silence)

CCA (Interviewed)

ArtCenter(Silence)

University of Washington (Interview scheduled)

Did anyone hear from ArtCenter about graphic design interviews?

Congratulations RISD!!, may I ask when did you get the email? And I'm also very curious if anyone got email about the ArtCenter graphic design interview....

Talked with financial aid office and tried to figure out SAIC but still could not get enough grants without scholarships to attend. Unlikely that I will go.

Waiting for UCLA, ArtCenter, and Calarts at this point.

So, I got wait-listed at VCU. Kinda sad. It was my 2nd choice in the US.

But anyway, do you guys know how being wait-listed affects the chances of scholarships or any other form of funding?

VCU is the only public university I applied to, especially looking forward to the funding!

Edited by risaurus

I received a fellowship from one of the schools that I was accepted to with full (as far as I can tell) tuition remission and a living stipend, and am completely ecstatic about it since I wasn't expecting it. Still haven't heard back from six of the eight schools I've applied to and it feels silly to wait for the other programs when I have such an incredible offer on the table from a school that I am excited about. I think if I haven't heard back from anyone else at this point, odds are I won't be getting nearly as good an opportunity as this from any other institutions. 

6 hours ago, dwidnvowni said:

Congratulations RISD!!, may I ask when did you get the email? And I'm also very curious if anyone got email about the ArtCenter graphic design interview....

I received an informal email from the program director on Feb 27. She said the official letter with financial aid and scholarship would be sent out next week.

27 minutes ago, risaurus said:

Yes, I emailed the admissions team. They said it will be sent around mid-march!

Mid- March seems to be the move for a lot of these schools. Boise State is hoping they will know about admittance decisions then for me (since I'm on the waitlist), and Colorado State will be sending out acceptance letters then. It's just so far away I don't know what I'm going to do with myself until then...how are you keeping your mind off it?

5 minutes ago, AJJAY said:

Mid- March seems to be the move for a lot of these schools. Boise State is hoping they will know about admittance decisions then for me (since I'm on the waitlist), and Colorado State will be sending out acceptance letters then. It's just so far away I don't know what I'm going to do with myself until then...how are you keeping your mind off it?

Unable to keep myself distracted honestly! No matter how hard I try, haha! Guess this month is gonna be cruel with every minute feeling like an hour.

Edited by risaurus

22 hours ago, Forms Without Formula said:

Yesterday I got my acceptance to Pratt with a generous scholarship, I was really hoping for Tulane originally but then yesterday I was almost feeling like I’d be disappointed if I got into Tulane because I feel like I would have no choice but take the free ride but was starting to get really excited for Pratt. Couple hours later I got my official rejection from Tulane! My decision has pretty much been made, Pratt it is!!!! I got into SVA too but so far it’s looking like all I got for scholarship is $5,000 a year possible work study? Ever since my interview with Pratt I’ve been the most excited about their program so I think what was supposed to happen did!!!!!!!

Do you mind if I ask how much you got from Pratt? I also go in and got offered some scholarship money, but I'm trying to figure out how things compare. As it stands right now, they haven't offered me enough, but I'm going to try to get more out of them. 

8 hours ago, ninja35 said:

Hey guys, wanted to know how much scholarship is everyone getting from Pratt?

I got around 30% with the additional offer of a graduate assistantship. Not sure yet what the compensation for the latter is, or if there's more money floating around. I've written to them though, and am awaiting a response. I'd very much like to go if the money works out! Big if, though. 

3 hours ago, risaurus said:

So, I got wait-listed at VCU. Kinda sad. It was my 2nd choice in the US.

But anyway, do you guys know how being wait-listed affects the chances of scholarships or any other form of funding?

VCU is the only public university I applied to, especially looking forward to the funding!

i'm so sorry to hear that, hoping you still get in this year 😞 i also am nervously waiting for an update from VCU. good luck to you on the rest of your schools!

5 minutes ago, onetwothreefourfive said:

Sweet! definitely maybe. Do you know any specifics about the stipend? I'm still waiting for the official offer letter. 

Same here. Not sure what the stipend looks like. I'm curious to see where it falls 

2 hours ago, paul123 said:

Do you mind if I ask how much you got from Pratt? I also go in and got offered some scholarship money, but I'm trying to figure out how things compare. As it stands right now, they haven't offered me enough, but I'm going to try to get more out of them. 

They offered me 15k/semester, almost 50%, I should have emailed them and tried to haggle for more but I got so excited I accepted right away, I also wasn’t sure if they really offered any more than this based on what people had said in past forums, now into trying to figure out any potential outside scholarships/loans

2 minutes ago, Forms Without Formula said:

They offered me 15k/semester, almost 50%, I should have emailed them and tried to haggle for more but I got so excited I accepted right away, I also wasn’t sure if they really offered any more than this based on what people had said in past forums, now into trying to figure out any potential outside scholarships/loans

That’s good though! Congrats! I mean tuition is a pretty formidable amount of money so 50% off is good. If I had gotten that much I probably would have accepted immediately too. 

MFA photo applicant here. Chiming in with my details to support others waiting for answers, and also to help demystify things for anyone who visits this forum in future years. Not seeing any other photo people lurking around here. 

Applications and status:
RISD -- invited to interview on Feb 17,  interviewed Feb 27, admitted March 1
Yale -- invited to interview on Feb 5, interviewed Feb 23, no updates ever since (low confidence on this one)
CalArts -- invited to interview Feb 2, interviewed week of Feb 13, notified via email of admission a few day later w/ an official letter arriving Feb 27
UCLA -- complete silence
RCA -- offered admission the spot during a portfolio review in February

It's certainly nice to be getting admitted to the top universities (on my first time applying, no less), but I wish that I'd thrown some more state schools in the mix. As reputable and wealthy as all these institutions are, it doesn't sound like any of them (aside from UCLA) have a track record for offering generous funding packages. I don't want to take on debt for this degree, so I may just walk away from all of them if I can't get funded and go to a state school next year. 

For what it's worth, the schools that admitted me thus far both seemed to have made up their minds already when I walked into the interview. They didn't say that I'd gotten in, but they spoke to me as if I already had. 

Edited by Björk