MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

21 hours ago, rhonda89 said:

Congrats on Tyler! I have been chatting with some of the current students to get a good sense of the (painting) program and will be visiting in about a week to sit in on some classes and speak with the faculty. Honestly speaking to current students has been super helpful in getting an idea what the community is like in the program. I did do a road trip last fall to visit most of the schools I applied to and it really did completely change how I felt about them, being there in person. Like VCU for instance had been on the top of my list and then after my visit, I knew it wouldn't be a spectacular fit for me. 

Thank you! I might try to go there next week actually. This will be my first visit to a grad program. Do you have any suggestions about what kinds of things to talk with students about and what to look for?

On 3/5/2023 at 3:42 PM, impliedpaste said:

I am assuming they have rolling admissions — the website says “January 5th is the priority deadline to be considered for both admission and scholarship, however applications will continue to be accepted on an ongoing basis until programs have filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply early in order to ensure timely consideration.” 

Ahhh I completely missed this :( hope they still have enough room for me!! Thank you

On 3/4/2023 at 6:47 PM, crisnyc said:

Haven't heard anything back from NYU either but... I did notice something weird that's giving me hope. So y'all know how the scholarship deadline was last week, march 1st? when I did the new student scholarship application, a few of the items were prefilled- like my name and address, etc.  There was something else pre-filled: "NYU ID (if applicable)"

I had never seen that NYU ID number before. And the number was different than the registration # that was given when I submitted the admissions app. 

With this NYU ID in hand I was able to log into NYUHome website and get my NetID number and NYU email. I can log into the registrar's office website and see the classes that are available for registration. I still can't see the admissions decisions or financial aid award (can't register for classes either), but this is the admitted student portal. 

Like I said, I havent heard back from admissions at all, but I'm choosing to assume from the information I've been able to gather, that I've been accepted. 

If you are still waiting to hear back from NYU, go log into the portal and see if you have an NYU ID listed anywhere on the scholarship application. 

Do you know of any similar links/portals for tisch? All of my scholarship stuff I know of was folded into the admissions application so I don't know of a separate form - any help digging would be appreciated, the silence has been unbearable lol 

1 hour ago, cornchip said:

Thank you! I might try to go there next week actually. This will be my first visit to a grad program. Do you have any suggestions about what kinds of things to talk with students about and what to look for?

Yeah, for sure! I always try to start with easy material questions like 'How do you like the studio spaces? How do you feel about the facilities? How are your classes structured? What are your class sizes?' I also really like to ask them if they feel like they have resources and freedom to pursue their research/studio interests, sometimes you get really revealing answers about how hands on/off a program is. I like to ask people what they feel the balance between critical theory and studio practice is at their respective programs. 

As for what to look for during a visit, I feel like that's become so hard to pin down since everyone's websites are so comprehensive these days, it's hard to find questions or look for things that aren't addressed already online. I do try to gauge how invested a program is in their students-- I always think it's a great sign when I'm chatting with faculty or staff and something in the conversation reminds them of a current student's research and they bring it up.

And also, this is very ambiguous but sometimes places just actively feel right! There have been a few programs I've visited and immediately known that I couldn't see myself there- and vice versa. In the end, it's easiest to ask yourself what tools you need to succeed personally, and find out if those answers exist for you at the place you're visiting. 

I hope any of this helps, and you have a good productive visit! :)

34 minutes ago, rhonda89 said:

I just got an interview request from NYU Steinhardt a few hours ago- feels crazy late in the game for an interview, I had discounted them entirely at this point. 

I got the invitation too. I also thought I was out of the race but maybe they're going slower this year?

So excited to be invited anyway. Congrats & fingers crossed to both of us! 

1 hour ago, anonymousartstudent said:

Anybody heard back from Columbia about the interview results? T_T can't stop checking my email every minute. Any updates please share them here. ❤️

best of luck to you! what specialization did you apply for at columbia?

11 hours ago, anonymousartstudent said:

Thank you so much. And my apologies, I would like to keep it until the result reveals. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻💧

no worries i understand! can i at least ask if your interview went well?

21 hours ago, tmnc said:

I don't think it's a bad thing to ask the same people. I asked one of my previous recommenders to write a new, updated letter for me, and got into my top choice (Yale) after the second try.

Some schools that use Slate as their online application system also allow you to recycle previous letters that have already been submitted to them, you can just opt to "import from previous application" or something like that (I know both Yale and Columbia have this option).

Thank you and congrats on Yale!! Quite a feat. What do you think made you a more successful candidate the second time around? Any insight is much appreciated. Others are welcome to answer this too! 

14 hours ago, rhonda89 said:

Yeah, for sure! I always try to start with easy material questions like 'How do you like the studio spaces? How do you feel about the facilities? How are your classes structured? What are your class sizes?' I also really like to ask them if they feel like they have resources and freedom to pursue their research/studio interests, sometimes you get really revealing answers about how hands on/off a program is. I like to ask people what they feel the balance between critical theory and studio practice is at their respective programs. 

As for what to look for during a visit, I feel like that's become so hard to pin down since everyone's websites are so comprehensive these days, it's hard to find questions or look for things that aren't addressed already online. I do try to gauge how invested a program is in their students-- I always think it's a great sign when I'm chatting with faculty or staff and something in the conversation reminds them of a current student's research and they bring it up.

And also, this is very ambiguous but sometimes places just actively feel right! There have been a few programs I've visited and immediately known that I couldn't see myself there- and vice versa. In the end, it's easiest to ask yourself what tools you need to succeed personally, and find out if those answers exist for you at the place you're visiting. 

I hope any of this helps, and you have a good productive visit! :)

This is so helpful, thank you! 

1 minute ago, borg said:

If anyone else was waiting, I just heard back from Cranbrook Fiber with an acceptance! So strange, since I definitely thought they would be conducting interviews! 

I also just got accepted. It's a little odd they are asking us to accept the offer within two weeks, but they seem unsure if they'll have a new fiber chair by then. Also, if you don't mind me asking, what does your finaid look like? I knew Cranbrook was expensive but omg. I'd be paying 50k a year, and that's with scholarship. Reality is setting in. Cranbrook was one of my top choices but it's looking unrealistic

16 minutes ago, cornchip said:

I also just got accepted. It's a little odd they are asking us to accept the offer within two weeks, but they seem unsure if they'll have a new fiber chair by then. Also, if you don't mind me asking, what does your finaid look like? I knew Cranbrook was expensive but omg. I'd be paying 50k a year, and that's with scholarship. Reality is setting in. Cranbrook was one of my top choices but it's looking unrealistic

Yes, my finaid looks similar 😞
I'm not sure what to do! Cranbrook was also one of my top choices, but its definitely a hard decision to make in two weeks. I'm wondering if it's worth asking if a new chair will be announced before the cut off date to accept.

Edited by borg
forgot to finish my thought lol

1 hour ago, borg said:

If anyone else was waiting, I just heard back from Cranbrook Fiber with an acceptance! So strange, since I definitely thought they would be conducting interviews! 

I was interviewed for Cranbrook, but it was for the ceramics program so maybe its specific to the department. Or maybe your portfolio was just so amazing they figured they didn't need to interview you!

Looks like Northwestern isn't releasing final decisions today:/ It's officially taking them longer than it took them last year. I wonder if this is good news for the finalists. Maybe they have too many strong applicants and will decide to admit 8 out of the 21 finalists

In one of my acceptance letters, a faculty member attached this PDF - it shows all the schools that give incoming grad students until April 15th to make their decisions. I know some schools are pressuring me and others to make a decision, but if your school is listed on this PDF, then you have until April 15th. FYI. I hope everyone is hanging in there x 

https://cgsnet.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/CGS_April15_Resolution_Mar62023.pdf

Anyone have experience with asking for a deferral? I don't want to, but I might have to defer a year. I'm nervous about asking-- Does anybody have tips on how I should go about it? lol pls help 🙃

Also: curious bc I can't find any info on this, nor did I ask bc I don't intend on going here anyway, but-- how many students are in the SAIC painting program? 

Edited by reallyfamousartist

I just got accepted to Boston University for painting today!!! A little surprised but excited, I'm still waiting to hear back from some other programs though, but this was my first acceptance so far and it feels good. I am ready for this process to be over though 😭 

Stay strong everyone!!!