MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Okay updated list as of today:

MFA PROGRAM Fall 2023 CONCENTRATION STATUS

Yale University Sculpture Rejected
Yale University Painting and Printmaking Rejected
UCLA New Genres Rejected
Columbia University Printmaking Rejected? (Assumed)
School of the Art Institute of Chicago Painting/Drawing Rejected
School of the Art Institute of Chicago Photography Accepted
School of the Art Institute of Chicago Sculpture Rejected
Calarts (California Institute of the Arts) Art (Integrated Media) Rejected
Calarts (California Institute of the Arts) Art + Technology (Integrated Media) Interviewed
Calarts (California Institute of the Arts) Photography and Media (Integrated Media) Rejected
ArtCenter College of Design Art Interviewed

I already started to craft my list of schools to apply for in Fall 2024 just in case :o

Edited by SocialKonstruct

4 minutes ago, reallyfamousartist said:

have calarts (integrated media) rejections gone out? I haven’t receive a call/acceptance nor a rejection….. yet

Nope and I'm still waiting for mine... did you interview with them?

3 hours ago, CactusWren22 said:

UCLA turned us into practicing conspiracy theorists. Paranoia, doubt, and wrestling with the truth only to find out the result from the internet.

Exactly, it seems pretty rude to not email the rejected applicants...like what if I wasn't on this forum, someone could not check their portal and be in April thinking UCLA never contacted them. 

I'm going to have to go through this process for a 3rd straight year and I won't be wasting my time applying to UCLA again. Seems like I would have a better chance of having a winning lottery ticket 

20 minutes ago, Gaara said:

Exactly, it seems pretty rude to not email the rejected applicants...like what if I wasn't on this forum, someone could not check their portal and be in April thinking UCLA never contacted them. 

I'm going to have to go through this process for a 3rd straight year and I won't be wasting my time applying to UCLA again. Seems like I would have a better chance of having a winning lottery ticket 

I'm agree and am flabbergasted at how rude it was for UCLA not to email applicants.  I also got my reject today - by logging in and only knew to do this because of this forum. They can't seriously expect applicants to check their portal on a daily basis.  If I go through this process again next year I definitely won't apply at a place that treats me disrespectfully. 

1 minute ago, Animapaint said:

I'm agree and am flabbergasted at how rude it was for UCLA not to email applicants.  I also got my reject today - by logging in and only knew to do this because of this forum. They can't seriously expect applicants to check their portal on a daily basis.  If I go through this process again next year I definitely won't apply at a place that treats me disrespectfully. 

Exactly, I know there will be a lot of people that stress out for months thinking UCLA never got back to them. They will be refreshing their emails in April and May holding onto hope, not knowing the decision was quietly posted in their portal. Very unprofessional from a school that is ranked #1...I would expect better 

32 minutes ago, Gaara said:

Hope that you can get into NW honestly :). Because of you I am getting interested in that place :D

1 minute ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Hope that you can get into NW honestly :). Because of you I am getting interested in that place :D

Thanks :) I hope so too! I have nothing but good things to say about NW. Being 1 of the 21 finalists lets me know I am very close to being a really strong applicant despite all the rejections I have received from other programs. I think NW may be unlikely (just a gut feeling; hope I am wrong)...but I plan on applying to fully funded programs again in December. 3rd time is the charm right lol

I feel like the baby of MFA applicants, I'm in my mid-20s and want things to happen now but life is telling me otherwise. I think because I'm so young these programs want to see what I can do on my own for another year. It's tough competing with older applicants that have been working on art for over 5 years, some even over a decade. This was my first year being a full-time artist since I graduated undergrad in 2021. NW seeing something in me lets me know I am closer but not quite there yet 

37 minutes ago, Gaara said:

Thanks :) I hope so too! I have nothing but good things to say about NW. Being 1 of the 21 finalists lets me know I am very close to being a really strong applicant despite all the rejections I have received from other programs. I think NW may be unlikely (just a gut feeling; hope I am wrong)...but I plan on applying to fully funded programs again in December. 3rd time is the charm right lol

I feel like the baby of MFA applicants, I'm in my mid-20s and want things to happen now but life is telling me otherwise. I think because I'm so young these programs want to see what I can do on my own for another year. It's tough competing with older applicants that have been working on art for over 5 years, some even over a decade. This was my first year being a full-time artist since I graduated undergrad in 2021. NW seeing something in me lets me know I am closer but not quite there yet 

Also Michael Rakowitz who is one of my favorite conceptual artists ever is over there in NW. That excites me a lot and probably fits in better with my art practice which is pretty cutting edge.

53 minutes ago, Sweetie123 said:

congrats!!! Do you mind sharing about any funding they offered you? 

of course! they're giving me an assistantship that's covering tuition for two semesters, as well as a 5k stipend for those two semesters provided i work an amount of hours each week.

this was incredible news to hear after four straight rejections!! i'm only waiting to hear about hunter, but i think with the financial aid, i'm going to be taking vcu's offer regardless, hope this helps 🙂

1 minute ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Also Michael Rakowitz who is one of my favorite conceptual artists ever is over there in NW. That excites me a lot and probably fits in better with my art practice which is pretty cutting edge.

He was leading my interview on Zoom. Michael Rakowitz, Mike Cloud, and Caroline Kent did most of the talking during my interview, others asked questions as well though. They all had a very nice vibe and I wouldn't change a thing about how my interview went. But even if you have a good interview you can still end up waitlisted or rejected. They all kept really good poker faces so it's tough to tell, I got a few smiles but overall I left that interview not having a clue what decision they would make. I would definitely apply again though to show them how much I grow this next year, if they like me now then they should like me again 🤷‍♂️

I feel like it's difficult to find programs that fit my work, I make very detailed realistic portrait drawings that I wish admission committees could see in person. But looking at several different fully funded programs alumni list student websites...it seems like programs prefer painters over people that draw with graphite or charcoal. If anyone knows a fully funded program that fits the work I describe, pls let me know 

Hey for people who got interviewed with Columbia around late February, we should be expecting a phone call from them within two weeks if we get accepted according to people from previous years. -__- Fingers Crossed for good news to come tomorrow or Friday. This whole process is nerve-wracking and I can't wait to get over it.....If anyone already got acceptances or does get phone calls in the next two days, please share them here...so I don't have to keep waiting.....

39 minutes ago, anonymousartstudent said:

Hey for people who got interviewed with Columbia around late February, we should be expecting a phone call from them within two weeks if we get accepted according to people from previous years. -__- Fingers Crossed for good news to come tomorrow or Friday. This whole process is nerve-wracking and I can't wait to get over it.....If anyone already got acceptances or does get phone calls in the next two days, please share them here...so I don't have to keep waiting.....

good luck! i know you've been stressing so i hope all goes well and they let you know ASAP!

so its either a phone call within the next two weeks if accepted or an email if rejected right (also in the next two weeks)? 

i hope they let people know sooner next year i cant imagine this anxiety going through all of march for me next year

54 minutes ago, Gaara said:

He was leading my interview on Zoom. Michael Rakowitz, Mike Cloud, and Caroline Kent did most of the talking during my interview, others asked questions as well though. They all had a very nice vibe and I wouldn't change a thing about how my interview went. But even if you have a good interview you can still end up waitlisted or rejected. They all kept really good poker faces so it's tough to tell, I got a few smiles but overall I left that interview not having a clue what decision they would make. I would definitely apply again though to show them how much I grow this next year, if they like me now then they should like me again 🤷‍♂️

I feel like it's difficult to find programs that fit my work, I make very detailed realistic portrait drawings that I wish admission committees could see in person. But looking at several different fully funded programs alumni list student websites...it seems like programs prefer painters over people that draw with graphite or charcoal. If anyone knows a fully funded program that fits the work I describe, pls let me know 

Well to be honest I would not dismiss charcoal or graphite. Robert Longo is a superb example of such a conceptually driven craft.

Without seeing your work I can't hazard a guess at this point.

15 minutes ago, hogii said:

good luck! i know you've been stressing so i hope all goes well and they let you know ASAP!

so its either a phone call within the next two weeks if accepted or an email if rejected right (also in the next two weeks)? 

i hope they let people know sooner next year i cant imagine this anxiety going through all of march for me next year

Thank you for your kind words. They will call those people who got accepted first then the official letters will come the week after. I am not sure when they will send out the waitlist or rejection but those decisions will not be notified until April I believe. Message me if you make it to the interview next year, I will be more than happy to answer whatever questions you may have. 

18 minutes ago, anonymousartstudent said:

Thank you for your kind words. They will call those people who got accepted first then the official letters will come the week after. I am not sure when they will send out the waitlist or rejection but those decisions will not be notified until April I believe. Message me if you make it to the interview next year, I will be more than happy to answer whatever questions you may have. 

oh wow! just reading this is making me anxious just having to wait for a phone call... 

i wish all schools just sent out emails at the same time accepted/rejected/waitlisted :(( and off topic but what ucla did to everyone was totally not cool.. can't believe they didn't even email applicants telling them to check the status at least

anyways thank you so much seriously that means a lot!! i will for sure~ and you got this !

14 hours ago, Mutya said:

Hi @soph8ahotdog! If you don't mind sharing -- what were your reasons for dropping out of Bard? I'm mostly curious if they included institutional factors, unless you are willing to share beyond that can be helpful. I got accepted into the Film/Video discipline and seriously considering it as my top choice. For context: I'm in my late 30s, married, a parent, immigrant of color, previously dropped out of my first film school (undergrad) in my home country, and finished my film undergrad in a suburban town in WA where my family is currently based. Thank you!

will message you privately!

13 hours ago, cyb3rci3lo said:

of course! they're giving me an assistantship that's covering tuition for two semesters, as well as a 5k stipend for those two semesters provided i work an amount of hours each week.

this was incredible news to hear after four straight rejections!! i'm only waiting to hear about hunter, but i think with the financial aid, i'm going to be taking vcu's offer regardless, hope this helps 🙂

Congrats!!! I am so happy for you - I know you were feeling disappointed about your other rejections so it is awesome you got VCU!!! Hell yeah! 

Hi all, UCLA "check your portal" emails seem to have gone out this morning, so I rescind my previous comment - I can't figure out how to edit... but it makes sense that they have to update your portal before they tell you to check it. 

On another note, I am debating between  2 year programs and 3 year programs.  I'm wondering what y'all are thinking when you decide between the different length of programs.  For me that extra summer would be helpful, but I don't know that I want to spend an extra year as I'm an older student.  I'm thinking a 2.5 yr program uld be ideal - which would seem to be a low res program, but I would like a bit more hands on and regular  input than that would provide.  Input and insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks :)