MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Question. Pratt gave me departmental aid, but I am seeking more bc I really want to go and it's not my best aid package. I had a meeting today and am learning (also from their website) that federal aid from the FAFSA is separate?? Does anyone know anything abt this? I am scheduling a mtng immediately. Oh, and Parsons Comms Design decisions are finally coming out!

Edited by Starrr

Does anyone know when CalArts' financial packages will be out? They mentioned Mid-March and it's already the 15th! Running out of time to make a final decision or appeal for scholarships at other colleges, especially when CalArts could be my best leverage. 

Note: Seems like everyone received the package at the start of April last year. I hope it doesn't come in that late this time!

Edited by risaurus

3 hours ago, thegradiest said:

can someone fill me in-any word from bard painting? Sorry I havent been here in a while!!!

I applied for Bard MFA Film/Video, but I know that all interviews for all disciplines were scheduled March 4-5, and decision letters and financial aid offers have been sent out since March 10. I got my acceptance notice prior to that (March 6) via phone call from the Film/Video co-chair, but I'm not sure if other disciplines have diff timelines. I would contact their grad admissions if you haven't yet.

2 hours ago, risaurus said:

Does anyone know when CalArts' financial packages will be out? They mentioned Mid-March and it's already the 15th! Running out of time to make a final decision or appeal for scholarships at other colleges, especially when CalArts could be my best leverage. 

Note: Seems like everyone received the package at the start of April last year. I hope it doesn't come in that late this time!

Calarts it looks like it's going to be early April this year for that. I am in the same boat.

12 hours ago, nddds said:

I was going for the art + technology programs at each of these schools.

MIT: Rejected

UCLA: No news yet (or interview)

CalArts: Half tuition

Parsons: Full tuition

Feeling very inclined to go with Parsons unless UCLA comes out of nowhere.

Looks like there are also teaching options at Parsons to help cover some cost of living in NYC.

Congrats to you all and good luck!

Congrats, may I ask which program at MIT did you apply for? 

On 3/14/2023 at 5:29 AM, Mar-Kiece said:

Has anyone gotten any new updates from UCSD since last Thursday? I was told they were going to release all decisions by Monday and my portal and email haven't gotten anything. Anxiety has been through the roof all day😪

Really sorry about the anxiety that's causing. Have you still not gotten a response?

Edited by d.arren

On 3/13/2023 at 8:29 PM, Mar-Kiece said:

Has anyone gotten any new updates from UCSD since last Thursday? I was told they were going to release all decisions by Monday and my portal and email haven't gotten anything. Anxiety has been through the roof all day😪

I was accepted to UCSD on March 7 via email directly. And then my portal was updated a few days later with official offer. I'm sorry this has been so anxiety inducing for you! You're probably waitlisted

12 hours ago, _solvely_ said:

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if I should expect conversion if I am on MICA's graduate painting waitlist? 

Should I hold on to hope or just forget it :(

There definitely is hope! I just turned down my offer from them so hopefully you get that spot :)

Does anyone have insight into Tyler they want to share? This is looking like my best option right now. I so appreciate that they are a funded program and can provide stipends as well. I'm just not sure it's the right fit for me. I was accepted into the Fiber program, but I'm curious to hear any opinions on Tyler and Philly in general!

how do people generally negotiate funding? from what i am aware, there can be an offer from the school of a partial tuition remission or a small scholarship (ex. $10k)  and then separate to that, there is the financial aid package offered based on your fafsa that comes later right.

so usually do students negotiate the scholarship/tuition remission with their department or are they negotiating the financial aid package offered based on the fafsa?

2 hours ago, cornchip said:

Does anyone have insight into Tyler they want to share? This is looking like my best option right now. I so appreciate that they are a funded program and can provide stipends as well. I'm just not sure it's the right fit for me. I was accepted into the Fiber program, but I'm curious to hear any opinions on Tyler and Philly in general!

Philly is pretty dangerous to live in. Almost got shot once and stabbed once there.

Tyler is dope for fiber. I think Erin M. Riley went there and wow yes! Amy Lincoln went there too. So a very good school.

Edited by SocialKonstruct

5 hours ago, hogii said:

how do people generally negotiate funding? from what i am aware, there can be an offer from the school of a partial tuition remission or a small scholarship (ex. $10k)  and then separate to that, there is the financial aid package offered based on your fafsa that comes later right.

so usually do students negotiate the scholarship/tuition remission with their department or are they negotiating the financial aid package offered based on the fafsa?

I usually would argue based on the FAFSA but if you can, the department could help out.

For example, with SAIC, I was unable to obtain more funding so I gave up. I even submitted an online appeal and it does not work for me.

So will see how the other two schools fall out.

On 3/1/2023 at 4:26 PM, ponyonotaleaf said:

Hi everyone! I am an international student applying for 3yr graphic design program.

Application status:

RISD (Accepted)

Calarts(Silence)

CCA (Interviewed)

ArtCenter(Silence)

University of Washington (Interview scheduled)

Did anyone hear from ArtCenter about graphic design interviews?

Update -

ArtCenter(Accepted)

University of Washington (Accepted)

CCA (Accepted)

Calarts (Nothing - probably rejection)

3 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

I usually would argue based on the FAFSA but if you can, the department could help out.

For example, with SAIC, I was unable to obtain more funding so I gave up. I even submitted an online appeal and it does not work for me.

So will see how the other two schools fall out.

thanks so much!! sorry you weren't able to get more funding from saic though, heres hoping the other two schools go great! 💓

for funding, btw are people referring to the government loans fafsa gives or also more tuition remission? (sorry if these are super obvious questions im just quite confused :( )

1 hour ago, hogii said:

thanks so much!! sorry you weren't able to get more funding from saic though, heres hoping the other two schools go great! 💓

for funding, btw are people referring to the government loans fafsa gives or also more tuition remission? (sorry if these are super obvious questions im just quite confused :( )

My strategy is simple. For talking about scholarships (merit usually) I would try to speak with the department. For grants and loans, financial aid office for that round.