MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

9 minutes ago, greengrass said:

Same! Hour interview seems pretty intense.

Yeah, I thought the same as well, but when you read the breakdown, it's actually 35 minutes in total. I think the slots themselves are just an hour in case anyone goes over and/or to give the committee a break between interviews.

1 hour ago, jellyfishes said:

Hi there

Applied to MFA in painting. Anyone hear any news from the following schools?

Columbia 

Hunter

SVA

Looks like there may have been a couple people who got interviews to SVA & Columbia but not sure if they were for the painting category. 

Good luck everyone ❤️ 

No Columbia yet and I applied there for printmaking.

3 hours ago, Flowerflower said:

Hi everyone! 
I applied to these places for painting 

university of Washington (still waiting)

Washington state (still waiting) 

university of Oregon (still waiting) 

university of Wisconsin Madison (still waiting) 

VCU (still waiting) 

university of Colorado Boulder (interviewed) 

Maine college of art and design (interviewed) 

Northwestern (denied) 

Michigan state (still waiting)  

Ohio state (still waiting) 

has anyone heard back from any of these schools specifically for the painting programs? 

I am also still waiting to hear back from U of O for painting & drawing. And I have an interview with NW this Friday. Every other school you applied to is not on my list. Goodluck :)

19 hours ago, lebleu said:

Mine is Painting. One tip I can give you is to study/do heavy research on your department's faculty. I did a lot of research, memorized all the key points of their CV/practice, and can link them to my practice/what I want to do in RISD and they all smile a lot when I mention that.

Thanks lebleu. May I ask how many people were on your panel?

Hey y'all, 

Asking again if anyone has heard from MassArt or UMASS Dartmouth

Still waiting on both after interviews.

Edited by Eriis

55 minutes ago, ArtRocks said:

I received an invitation to interview with UCLA's ID program this morning. fingers crossed for everyone and congrats to all :)

Congratulations! This is amazing news, hopefully this is a sign that other areas of focus will be dropped throughout this week as well : )  

A little Bard update: today I reached out to one of the program administrators to find out if interviews had gone out yet--I didn't want to be a bother, but I'm starting to get questions about my summer availability--and they said that interviews will go out next week, with interviews taking place around March 4th. I specifically asked about Photography, but it seems likely that the other disciplines are on a similar timeline. I hope this helps anyone else who has applied!

Hi! Has anyone heard back from the painting departments of :  UMichigan, Hunter, Washington St, or Columbia yet? I haven't received an interview/rejection letter form these schools

but i did hear back from UChicago today and got an acceptance letter! yay

Edited by reallyfamousartist

Hi Everyone! 

Just joined the forum last night and wanted add my list and times. Very curious if anyone has heard from UT Austin, Columbia, and CMU. Those are the last three I'm waiting to hear from. UCSD is my number one and I'm nervous because it's just a 20 minute interview :(

I applied to

Tyler MFA in Sculpture (Invited 01/31, Interviewed 02/04, Accepted 02/13) 

Rutgers MFA in Sculpture (Invitied 01/31, Interview 02/24 in-person)

UT Austin MFA in Sculpture (still waiting)

Columbia MFA in Sculpture (still waiting) 

Yale: Rejected

University of California Sand Diego MFA( Invited 02/09, Waiting for interview date)

University of Oregon (Invited 02/ 01, Interviewed 02/03, Waiting)

Tufts SMFA MFA in Photography (Invited 01/18, Interviewed 02/07, Waiting)

Carnegie Mellon MFA (still waiting)

Cranbrook MFA in Photography (Invited 02/13, Interview 02/14)

Edited by Mar-Kiece

47 minutes ago, Mar-Kiece said:

Hi Everyone! 

Just joined the forum last night and wanted add my list and times. Very curious if anyone has heard from UT Austin, Columbia, and CMU. Those are the last three I'm waiting to hear from. UCSD is my number one and I'm nervous because it's just a 20 minute interview :(

I applied to

University of California Sand Diego MFA( Invited 02/09, Waiting for interview date)

Hi Mar-Kiece, I interviewed with UT Austin sculpture back on Feb 5th. I also heard from CMU a week or two ago. Sorry. 

1 hour ago, Mar-Kiece said:

Hi Everyone! 

I applied to

Damn guess I didn't get into Tyler, or was waitlisted again lol, I interviewed with UT Austin last week

3 hours ago, Thursdayhasnofeel said:

Damn guess I didn't get into Tyler, or was waitlisted again lol, I interviewed with UT Austin last week

LOL seeing that list made me think the same thing but for University of Oregon and UCSD. Hoping they only interviewed sculpture or photography applicants, maybe painting & drawing receive interview invites last ?

But it's looking like I was rejected or waitlisted to U of O and UCSD:/ 

14 minutes ago, Gaara said:

LOL seeing that list made me think the same thing but for University of Oregon and UCSD. Hoping they only interviewed sculpture or photography applicants, maybe painting & drawing receive interview invites last ?

But it's looking like I was rejected or waitlisted to U of O and UCSD:/ 

Still waiting on U of O too but I did apply for sculpture ? This is my 3rd time around applying to grad schools and it really feels like now or never, I can’t go through this again so just trying to let go and believe what is meant for me will come but accepting the unknown is so tough right now

15 minutes ago, Forms Without Formula said:

Still waiting on U of O too but I did apply for sculpture ? This is my 3rd time around applying to grad schools and it really feels like now or never, I can’t go through this again so just trying to let go and believe what is meant for me will come but accepting the unknown is so tough right now

I feel you, this is my second year and there's no way I wanna go through this process again. Majority of the schools I applied to are taking way longer than I expected. Compared to last years forum, a lot of schools on my list are behind schedule. 

Idk if @Mar-Kieceinterviewed at U of O for sculpture or photography so if it was photography maybe there's still a chance for you. But stay strong and don't lose hope, you could just be on the waitlist, you never know. 

Hey everyone! After all those numerous rejections from SAIC, RISD, Yale...

just got invited for Hunter MFA!!!!

Is there any advice for the interview like typical questions, topics, the atmosphere...

This is my FIRST invitation and since I'm an international (non-native English), I'm super nervous right now...

Any advice would be help me a lot. 

Oh, I applied with painting, btw