MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

1 hour ago, edgecase said:

I interviewed there in photo not sculpture, but they told me not to expect to hear back until late March, because of bureaucracy things, so it might be the same across the department. That feels like soooo long from now!

I heard at the end of the interview to expect radio silence for a few weeks but I figured I'd ask anyway 

Hi all, I was accepted into SAIC's FMS program via phone call today! Official notices and funding will be coming shortly, but they did mention I was awarded a Visionary Scholar Award  (20% tuition). Does anyone have advice in advocating for more funding? I am worried that perhaps all merit-based scholarships may be awarded if I wait until the acceptance packets are sent out and would like to shoot my shot asap. Thanks and wishing the best of luck to all of you in the next steps!

I have an interview this Friday with the Cambridge School of Visual and Performing Arts, and the only info I got is that it'll be about 30 minutes. I'm not really sure how to prep or what to expect, and I've only done interviews for US schools. I would really appreciate any advice or words of wisdom!

9 hours ago, risaurus said:

I have my MFA GD/VC interviews with UIC, CalArts and MICA today (16th Feb) and BU and VCU tomorrow (17th Feb)! Super stoked and excited. Does anybody have any interview experience with these colleges or some advice?

During my last interview (with UAL), the interviewer talked more than I did and I felt really bad about it later. Is there any way I can try to engage my interviewer in a flowing conversation naturally?

I've researched the kind of questions that come up, but I have no idea how to answer them in a natural yet impressive manner. Please share some insights on this!

All the help is sincerely appreciated! Thank you!

I'm interviewing for MICA GD next week. Oh my gosh, I'm so nervous..!

If someone did the MICA interview, give us some advice plz. 
Good luck!!

23 minutes ago, painterJJ said:

I discovered only few had been invited for Columbia Visual Arts MFA in GradCafe.

Would they still be reaching out for applicants or is it just it..?

Columbia is my number one option so i'm freaking out right now 

same I'm feeling pretty dejected right now 

20 hours ago, blueangel said:

Still haven't heard from: 
Columbia
Hunter

Heard from: 
Pratt: asked for school transcripts only but nothing else
RISD: asked to complete financial aid form but nothing else
Yale: rejected
SVA: did an interview
MICA: I just got notified that I'm a finalist for MICA Painting! They said official decisions will be announced mid-March. They then invited us to campus tour, another virtual panel for questions, and counselor appointments. 

All for MFA painting

Hey blueangel,

Thank you for sharing.

Might I ask you that the notification you received for being a finalist for MICA Painting which means you are accepted into the school?

11 hours ago, designer01 said:

I'm interviewing for MICA GD next week. Oh my gosh, I'm so nervous..!

If someone did the MICA interview, give us some advice plz. 
Good luck!!

Hey! I had my interview with MICA GD on Monday. It was conversational and quick but with time for questions. Be prepared to talk about some of your portfolio a bit and your education if applicable. They were very nice so don't sweat it! Good luck!

14 minutes ago, lebleu said:

Hey blueangel,

Thank you for sharing.

Might I ask you that the notification you received for being a finalist for MICA Painting which means you are accepted into the school?

Hi lebleu! The email said that I am selected as an interview finalist, and they expect final decisions mid-march. So I am not accepted yet. 

I don't think I can fly in to view the campus, so I really hope that doesn't affect my chances

1 minute ago, blueangel said:

Hi lebleu! The email said that I am selected as an interview finalist, and they expect final decisions mid-march. So I am not accepted yet. 

I don't think I can fly in to view the campus, so I really hope that doesn't affect my chances

So that means you will have to do your interview right? or you already did it?

Sorry first time going through all this process and I'm a bit confused.

12 minutes ago, lebleu said:

So that means you will have to do your interview right? or you already did it?

Sorry first time going through all this process and I'm a bit confused.

I already did my interview last week :) it was hard, she asked me so many questions but luckily I prepped for them. I don't *think* there will be another interview or at least I hope not!

Hi. Just finished my online CalArts interview for mfa in art. It was 15 minutes they asked: why an mfa, why now. Why cal arts. What do you expect from a mfa. What I was working on right now. Asked me one question about my work specifically and that’s it. Super laid back and quick and felt comfortable. 

Edited by Paintingpaintings

2 hours ago, Painter12345 said:

In previous years, the people in this forum figured out that if the “MFA” disappears in the phrase “2023 Painting MFA” on your Columbia slideroom account then you have been rejected. Not sure if that’s still true though

I don't know if that universally holds. I can see an old application from a year when I was rejected still in my Slideroom account, and it still says MFA. I wish they would just do what Yale does and let you know, since they obviously know if you've been rejected. It just seems more polite. 

2 hours ago, redCat said:

Hey! I had my interview with MICA GD on Monday. It was conversational and quick but with time for questions. Be prepared to talk about some of your portfolio a bit and your education if applicable. They were very nice so don't sweat it! Good luck!

May I ask what questions were asked? I have mine in 5 hours!

19 hours ago, scraps said:

anyone heard back from UT Knoxville? I had an interview maybe 3 weeks ago but no word since then. Good luck to everybody!

I heard back via email a few days after my interview that I had been waitlisted. Nothing official has been sent out yet though. (This was for printmaking)

___

Also waiting to hear back after interviews with Oregon & UW Madison.. hopefully this Friday!

Edited by h3249r

1 hour ago, risaurus said:

May I ask what questions were asked? I have mine in 5 hours!

To be honest it was kind of a blur it went so fast. Other than a general overview of who I am, the questions were pretty specific to me and my education like how my minor and major connect. The best way to prep besides researching and knowing the program is to review your statement I think.