MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

1 minute ago, mfahopefulfunding said:

Hi! Some interview questions I was asked today include:

Why xyz school at this time?

What do you bring to the graduate student community? 

How do you see your work progressing in this program/what are your goals for your work?

Hope this helps!

These are questions I got asked today that were surprising (!)

What are the stakes of your work?

and

What is your idea of success or a successful career?

10 minutes ago, ArtRocks said:

These are questions I got asked today that were surprising (!)

What are the stakes of your work?

and

What is your idea of success or a successful career?

thank you so much for sharing! i hope your interview went amazing

that is interesting! what did they mean by "stakes of your work" ? excuse my english, as it is not my first language but by "stakes of your work" are they asking you the risks of your work?

Hello there, 

I'm visiting from the art history thread, though I am also a visual artist. I was just accepted to RISD's MA program in Global Arts and Cultures, and am hoping to hear whether others have some information on the program? I looked everywhere I could before applying, but the available information was pretty limited. Thankfully, both of my professors (who provided LoR) thought it was a very good program for me, so I applied. I'm thankful I did, but would still love to hear whether anyone else here did as well, and/or if they hear ANYTHING about the program.

The program advertises itself as being structured for humanities students (art history) and artists alike, which sounds like a perfect fit for someone like me (I am also a curator and wish to work in academic and/or the museum world while maintaining my artist practice - which I do already but not yet at the level I am building towards).

9 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Well guys! I just called up Columbia Visual Arts and it looks like the first round of interviews already have been completed for printmaking (and others I assume).

If you didn't hear from them then you were rejected.

Final admission e-mails will be sent out late March.

In any case, now that leaves UCLA which I need to call up now. :)

Did you call them up? What did they say? I applied for the Photo Concentration at UCLA and haven't heard anything back. Thanks. 

29 minutes ago, CactusWren22 said:

Did you call them up? What did they say? I applied for the Photo Concentration at UCLA and haven't heard anything back. Thanks. 

I didn't tell them who I was but I mentioned that I was an applicant and that I haven't gotten any email notification from them but got other schools. I asked if they had sent the email for interviews but the person in the office said that it wouldn't be until mid March until we would hear back.

I am in photo as a backup so we will see. But of course, I will wait and see.

had my interview for yale and feeling kind of awful about it lol. I noticed they were writing a lot as I spoke which made it hard to get a read on how well it was going.
Questions were p. standard; why yale, why now, what excites you?
Was super nervous and felt like I rambled a lot so not feeling too hopeful but wishing everyone the best!

1 hour ago, Painter12345 said:

Columbia painting interview invites have already gone out, right?

Also I haven’t heard anything from SAIC painting&drawing yet after interview.

Columbia, yes. Rejections will come at end of next month supposedly.

Good time to review this lovely video! 

Edited by SocialKonstruct

23 hours ago, staxdo_21 said:

Hello there, 

I'm visiting from the art history thread, though I am also a visual artist. I was just accepted to RISD's MA program in Global Arts and Cultures, and am hoping to hear whether others have some information on the program? I looked everywhere I could before applying, but the available information was pretty limited. Thankfully, both of my professors (who provided LoR) thought it was a very good program for me, so I applied. I'm thankful I did, but would still love to hear whether anyone else here did as well, and/or if they hear ANYTHING about the program.

The program advertises itself as being structured for humanities students (art history) and artists alike, which sounds like a perfect fit for someone like me (I am also a curator and wish to work in academic and/or the museum world while maintaining my artist practice - which I do already but not yet at the level I am building towards).

So someone responded to my question by saying that they would share their experience as an undergrad at RISD. And then the message somehow disappeared...If that person or others want to connect about their experience at RISD, I'd love to hear from them. Thanks :)

My messages also disappeared because GradCafe shut down today and some messages were gone when it started back up. 

I answered someone's question and said I believe Northwestern will contact us next week on March 1st according to what has happened in previous forums, but I could be wrong. 

I also wanted to know if anyone has heard back from UNC-Chapel Hill? I feel like I might be the only person who applied to UNC in this forum. Their application deadline was Dec. 13th, I feel like I should have heard something by now. If you know anyone that applied or have any info please let me know 

On 2/23/2023 at 5:51 AM, rootingforeverybody said:

how’d Yale go @lebleu

Well I was prepared to talk about the 4+4 artworks, but they ended up not asking a single question about that. It was mostly around myself (what makes you excited, expectation) and follow-up questions to my answer. They were very friendly as well.

Overall I think I did alright

On 2/17/2023 at 6:57 AM, SocialKonstruct said:

Thanks for the update. I am going to assume that I got rejected from Columbia printmaking which leaves ArtCenter and UCLA open to interview and next week will be my Calarts interview hopefully :)

innnteresting, it seems like CalArts is staggering their interviews because it seems some people have already gotten interviews and others have gotten rejections... i have gotten neither 🙃