MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

I did the interview with RISD GD 3yrs today, and it was pretty intense than I thought.

I interviewed with 3 professors, and they seemed to look through all of my portfolio, statement, and reference letters.

They asked me very sharp questions about my portfolio, like why did you use this kind of font and why are you so into some kind of topic so much.

I think they really want to know about who you are, and what is your interest to make a deep research for MFA program.

I cross my fingers to everyone! also for me!

3 hours ago, Sweetie123 said:

Has anyone heard from UConn Sculpture or USF (University of South Florida) Sculpture. 

I also applied and haven't heard from Indiana Bloomington - I know other mediums got their offers already, but I haven't heard anything about Sculpture. 

I heard back from UCONN sculpture a few weeks ago, I just had my interview with them this past Wednesday evening. They said they were interviewing over the next few weeks and would get back with decisions mid-March. 

On 2/23/2023 at 6:16 AM, mfahopefulfunding said:

Hi! Some interview questions I was asked today include:

Why xyz school at this time?

What do you bring to the graduate student community? 

How do you see your work progressing in this program/what are your goals for your work?

Hope this helps!

was this ArtCenter? i got verbatim the exact same q's

On 2/21/2023 at 5:24 AM, d.arren said:

Not sure if anyone else has applied here or not, but I got an email to do a 15-minute informal interview this afternoon with Washington University in St. Louis for their MFA visual arts program. Would be interested to hear if anyone has any insights or opinions on this program as well.

How was yours turn out? I got invite 2 days after, so I think I’m at the bottom of the list lol didn’t do the interview part very good either :(

1 hour ago, soph8ahotdog said:

has anyone heard anything from UCLA New Genres? I know ID, Ceramics, and Painting already seem to have gone out

OMG someone else who applied also the UCLA New Genres like I did LoL :D

1 hour ago, Croissant Waffle said:

I did the interview with RISD GD 3yrs today, and it was pretty intense than I thought.

I interviewed with 3 professors, and they seemed to look through all of my portfolio, statement, and reference letters.

They asked me very sharp questions about my portfolio, like why did you use this kind of font and why are you so into some kind of topic so much.

I think they really want to know about who you are, and what is your interest to make a deep research for MFA program.

I cross my fingers to everyone! also for me!

I shared something similar earlier today before Gradcafe shut down and deleted everyone's messages haha but I definitely felt like RISD is completely invested in each person that interviewed. Like you, they also asked me very specific questions about my application materials. They were very warm and seemingly kind people, and I definitely felt even more invested in their program after I wrapped up the interview, haha. :'-))

7 hours ago, onetwothreefourfive said:

I heard back from UCONN sculpture a few weeks ago, I just had my interview with them this past Wednesday evening. They said they were interviewing over the next few weeks and would get back with decisions mid-March. 

Ugh, what a bummer for me, but good for you and thank you for letting me know. How did the interview go? 

3 hours ago, Sweetie123 said:

Ugh, what a bummer for me, but good for you and thank you for letting me know. How did the interview go? 

Yeah, sorry. Interview was went pretty well and improved my overall impression of the program. 7 faculty asked me questions mostly concerning my practice and my ability to do the kind of work required of a TA/instructor. 

On 2/22/2023 at 10:43 PM, SocialKonstruct said:

I didn't tell them who I was but I mentioned that I was an applicant and that I haven't gotten any email notification from them but got other schools. I asked if they had sent the email for interviews but the person in the office said that it wouldn't be until mid March until we would hear back.

I am in photo as a backup so we will see. But of course, I will wait and see.

I think you mentioned applying to Tyler (Temple) print in a previous post, have you called them to check in on the interview status? 

And has anyone received a letter or acceptance from Cranbrook after the interview? 

Thanks, y'all. I appreciate the group support and commiseration. 😓

11 hours ago, Yoasianguy said:

How was yours turn out? I got invite 2 days after, so I think I’m at the bottom of the list lol didn’t do the interview part very good either :(

If they used the same language in your invite, it was supposed to be "informal" and specifically said there was no need to prepare, so don't feel too down about how the interview itself went. This might mean that they still really consider the application materials as the main decider for admissions. That being said, I was a bit shocked that they would call it informal and then basically just drilled me with five questions in 15 minutes. I believe I did fine, but I was a bit taken by surprise and thus was a bit more rambling than usual.

Just now, d.arren said:

If they used the same language in your invite, it was supposed to be "informal" and specifically said there was no need to prepare, so don't feel too down about how the interview itself went. This might mean that they still really consider the application materials as the main decider for admissions. That being said, I was a bit shocked that they would call it informal and then basically just drilled me with five questions in 15 minutes. I believe I did fine, but I was a bit taken by surprise and thus was a bit more rambling than usual.

I know omg i did not expect it to be that way. One of them asked ‘when you were informed about the interview last night, what is the thing you feel like you have to tell us?‘ this really made me think they intentionally wanted us to feel shook. Anw, this is my first time applying so I’m learning from this. 

13 minutes ago, Yoasianguy said:

I know omg i did not expect it to be that way. One of them asked ‘when you were informed about the interview last night, what is the thing you feel like you have to tell us?‘ this really made me think they intentionally wanted us to feel shook. Anw, this is my first time applying so I’m learning from this. 

Yeah, that's an odd question and there was definitely something off with the way they do these intentionally last-minute interview requests. But I think you have a good attitude with wanting to learn from it, and you never know what the outcome might be! Also my first round applying for MFAs here.

42 minutes ago, ArtCloset said:

I think you mentioned applying to Tyler (Temple) print in a previous post, have you called them to check in on the interview status? 

And has anyone received a letter or acceptance from Cranbrook after the interview? 

I received an acceptance from cranbrook (painting) yesterday morning after interviewing last week. It was an unofficial notice from the AIRs and they said official letters from admissions would be coming next week. 

2 minutes ago, impliedpaste said:

I received an acceptance from cranbrook (painting) yesterday morning after interviewing last week. It was an unofficial notice from the AIRs and they said official letters from admissions would be coming next week. 

Right on and congrats! I'm feeling positive about likely acceptance but probably won't relax until I get an official letter. :DI'll try to chill til next week, thanks!

11 hours ago, futuredesigner said:

I shared something similar earlier today before Gradcafe shut down and deleted everyone's messages haha but I definitely felt like RISD is completely invested in each person that interviewed. Like you, they also asked me very specific questions about my application materials. They were very warm and seemingly kind people, and I definitely felt even more invested in their program after I wrapped up the interview, haha. :'-))

That's amazing. They said they'll gonna send out admissions starting next week 😂. I hope we could both accepted and encounter at RISD haha. Good lucks to us! 

Edited by Croissant Waffle

5 minutes ago, Croissant Waffle said:

That's amazing. They said they'll gonna send out admissions starting next week 😂. I hope we could both accepted and encounter at RISD haha. Good lucks to us! 

Yes, good luck to us!! 😎🍀🍀🍀🤞 Reminds me of this thread where a bunch of people in RISD got accepted hehe 🙂

2 hours ago, ArtCloset said:

Applied to Columbia not Tyler printmaking and that was a no go. Good luck!

On 2/18/2023 at 11:18 PM, Gaara said:

@reallyfamousartist how was your in person interview with Northwestern? Hope it went well : )

I'm wondering how the in person experience was different from people who had their NW interview on Zoom. 

As you mentioned, the interview didn't include typical bullet point questions such as why grad school, why now, why northwestern. The faculty asked specific questions regarding my work, reference letters, and statement. They were attentive and inquisitive during the interview, which was a pleasant change from my prior experience, where the discussions were more interrogative and straight-faced. They were genuinely curious, kind, and cool. 

There was a social following the interviews where I met current students and interviewees and had one-on-one convos with the faculty. I personally have a difficult time in this type of situation, for it felt like an extended two-hour interview, and I am also v sensitive to large gatherings in small spaces. Kind of stressful and draining for me. I wish I had stuck to an online interview for this reason bc I felt like I blew it with my anxiety being out of control. Others seemed to enjoy it, though. 

The building that the studio spaces were located in is an old office building. The studios are in the basement and lack windows which is disappointing to me personally, for the material I work with requires natural light (likely to venture out with new materials, though, so maybe this would be fine.) 

They said that 21 students were invited to interview, and five are accepted. None of the current students have jobs and are able to live off of the stipend, and they also apply to grants the school offers to fund materials. 

Good luck!! I hope you get in!

Thank you for the tip you left in the other comment about the questions being specific to each individual btw. It was huge for me since I was stuck in the mindset of typical questions. I was able to give myself space to think about my work and myself more deeply. Even if the interview was unsuccessful, I still have an even better understanding of myself and my work. I appreciate you! 

Edited by reallyfamousartist

Received an acceptance call from SAIC in painting last night- yay!

I've also gotten into U Chicago and MassArt. No rejections from the interviews I've had so far, which is a good sign. I'm waiting to hear back after interviews with Boston U, MICA, Northwestern, Rutgers, CalArts, and BU, and I have my final interview with Pratt today. I applied to the painting department at these schools btw. Phew what a ride. I've been following along on this thread, but if anyone has gotten acceptance calls/e-mails from any of these schools, pls lmk! Super curious as to where these schools are at in the process.

Haven't heard back from Columbia, RISD, Yale, or UCLA yet- Hopefully this week ; ) lol jk. Not too hurt about the unofficial rejections. Good luck to all out there, and congrats to those that are receiving invites and acceptances to your dream schools! So exciting!

Edited by reallyfamousartist