MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

20 minutes ago, lazuli. said:

Helloo!! Also had an interview for Yale but my questions were pretty generic (uh oh) but still kind of intense; why now/why Yale/What excites you/Whats your process? But feeling slightly better abt getting an interview this time after a deny+reapply 5 years ago. I literally can't focus on anything except the decisions coming within the next week lol.

Wishing you all the best !!

what department did u apply to? i applied for Paint/Print, maybe different departments do things differently. Or even individual interviewers—I interviewed last year as well, and last year's interviewers asked me pretty generic questions.

trying to distract myself until the decisions come out, but  it's pretty difficult!

Today I finally got back to the studio and started to work on painting. Stressing out about the results has been unhealthy for me so I am going to relax and listen to others and I can chill while doing what I do best :)... making more art.

14 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Today I finally got back to the studio and started to work on painting. Stressing out about the results has been unhealthy for me so I am going to relax and listen to others and I can chill while doing what I do best :)... making more art.

You are better than me, I can't create under this much stress...but I'm not hard on myself about it, every artist needs breaks every once and a while. Right now all I can think about is how Northwestern released final decisions on March 1st for the past 3 years. But last year they also did interviews a week sooner than this year so I am thinking we will get decisions on March 7th or March 1st  

1 hour ago, reallyfamousartist said:

I haven't received my rejection email from CalArts yet, assuming I'll get one since acceptances went out : /

Actually Calarts is still sending out acceptances for a tad bit so good idea to wait longer (just contacted them today).

7 hours ago, thisisnotapipe said:

I have a question... Would you accept an offer to a fully funded program with a generous stipend award, that has a 100% hire rate out of the program from your concentration into faculty positions (some tenure track, others at R1 universities, etc) BUT is in a city you don't want to live in, is a generally underfunded program at the school, has lack luster facilities, and basement grad studios with no windows? OVER an offer to a fully funded program with a generous stipend that has beautiful well-funded facilities, and *stunning* grad studios, but actively is discouraging students from teaching with their degrees and doesn't have the connections to help you get hired after you graduate? 

I am thinking its a hell yes decision for future me to pick the first option. But I am worried that the conditions of the first program will make my time there difficult and hard to make art in. If I keep my head down, and work hard for three years, and know I'll get a job it seems like a no-brainer...but is there something I'm missing here? 

I am very aware this is a first-world problem to have. And I am so grateful to have this decision to make. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or other perspectives to consider here. 

I'm confused - why would a program discourage students from teaching after grad school? To fully focus on their studio practice? I personally would chose the program with the beautiful facilities as long as the faculty was supportive in other ways. But I don't know, everyone is so different. I'm going to turn down a fully funded offer because, after interviewing and learning more about the program, it doesn't sound like it would be a good fit. I'm nervous about turning it down, but I can apply to programs again next year. 

(I'm dying to know which program sticks you in the basement and is underfunded - I applied to all three programs you applied to and didn't get interviewed/into any of the three lol) Good for you for being accepted! 

Hi, I was accepted to RISD via phone call today! Official notices/financial packages will be sent out the week of March 6 (at least for the textile department). 

I got an email later in the day asking to submit my decision for admission within the next few days, and that the program director will work with me in my final financial support once I accept their offer. Is this common? I feel uncomfortable giving an answer before they provide how much funding they're considering. Maybe I'm reading into the message a bit but any thoughts on navigating this situation is highly appreciated. 

34 minutes ago, Sweetie123 said:

I'm confused - why would a program discourage students from teaching after grad school? To fully focus on their studio practice? I personally would chose the program with the beautiful facilities as long as the faculty was supportive in other ways. But I don't know, everyone is so different. I'm going to turn down a fully funded offer because, after interviewing and learning more about the program, it doesn't sound like it would be a good fit. I'm nervous about turning it down, but I can apply to programs again next year. 

(I'm dying to know which program sticks you in the basement and is underfunded - I applied to all three programs you applied to and didn't get interviewed/into any of the three lol) Good for you for being accepted! 

They said they had too many students in the cohort who planned to teach after they graduated and are actively trying to discourage them because academia is toxic and historically incredibly difficult to get jobs in. So they wanted to encourage their students to get jobs in other areas after they graduate. But they don’t necessarily offer any support in helping students get those other kinds of jobs either. 

(Sent you a PM about your last question.)

Hey! Sharing some updates for graphic design MFA

MICA - interview done (will hear back mid march)

SAIC - rejected

SVA - waitlisted

Pratt - silence

RISD - silence

Anyone heard from Pratt/RISD for packaging & graphic design? They've been so silent! Any idea when they send out updates?

5 hours ago, Huis.clos said:

Hi, I was accepted to RISD via phone call today! Official notices/financial packages will be sent out the week of March 6 (at least for the textile department). 

I got an email later in the day asking to submit my decision for admission within the next few days, and that the program director will work with me in my final financial support once I accept their offer. Is this common? I feel uncomfortable giving an answer before they provide how much funding they're considering. Maybe I'm reading into the message a bit but any thoughts on navigating this situation is highly appreciated. 

First, congrats!!

Second, If you want to go, tell them you will. If the financial package isn’t what you need, you can always change your mind. The admission decision is essentially letting them know you won’t consider any other schools and are committed to RISD. This being said, if the financial package is awful, nothing is physically binding you to RISD. Kindly reject, rescind your decision if nothing can be negotiated, and if you’ve had other offers, start considering those instead! If they send out aid packages in early March you’ll have plenty of time to still decide and change course if needed.

Also, this doesn’t seem common in my experience, and I would also feel uncomfortable not knowing what I’m financially signing up for before committing. It really puts you in an awkward situation if things are not what you expected/need funding wise. Sadly, negotiating and navigating these things is part of the process!

Edited by biklo

7 hours ago, ninja35 said:

Hey! Sharing some updates for graphic design MFA

MICA - interview done (will hear back mid march)

SAIC - rejected

SVA - waitlisted

Pratt - silence

RISD - silence

Anyone heard from Pratt/RISD for packaging & graphic design? They've been so silent! Any idea when they send out updates?

Hi Ninja35, glad to know someone else here is waiting for Package Des from Pratt. Looks like last year, people posted acceptances from the program in middle/end of March. Also, did you happen to get an interview for SVA before your decision? Man this is stressful 😭

I’m still waiting to hear back from SAIC (painting/drawing) I thought my interview went really well, but evidently did not make the first round of acceptances. Have rejections gone out? Or should I assume I’m waitlisted?

Have any painters heard from Cranbrook yet?

Hi Everyone! Update--Got waitlisted for Boise State. Said they are very interested in my work and would love to have me if space becomes available. I might respond and ask if they release the rankings on the waitlist. No interview though. Here's where we are now:

1. Trondheim academy of Fine Arts: radio silent.

2. Oslo National Academy of the Arts: Silence.

3. Colorado State University: mere whispers. Just kidding, nothing actually. 

4. New Mexico State University: Interview 2/23, waiting for update.

5. Arizona State University: Absolutely nothing.

6. Boise State University: 2/28 waitlist email. 

Hoping for more clarity over the next week. 

Edited by AJJAY

Did anyone wake up to an email from Rutgers with "Activate or verify your Rutgers NetID" as the subject? The email implies I've been accepted (i.e. language of "Welcome to Rutgers!") but when I check my netID portal it says my application is still under review. lol. go figure

11 minutes ago, ArtRocks said:

Did anyone wake up to an email from Rutgers with "Activate or verify your Rutgers NetID" as the subject? The email implies I've been accepted (i.e. language of "Welcome to Rutgers!") but when I check my netID portal it says my application is still under review. lol. go figure

That seems hella frustrating, but does seem like a good sign! 

Has anyone heard back from NYU Steinhardt? Not really seeing anybody who applied to NYU here.

Now that February is over, should I assume rejection if I've heard nothing from them? I was comforting myself thinking that NYU's application deadline was late so they are still processing, but found out in old forums that they usually invite for an interview in late Feb. 🤧

10 minutes ago, mmmmh said:

Has anyone heard back from NYU Steinhardt? Not really seeing anybody who applied to NYU here.

Now that February is over, should I assume rejection if I've heard nothing from them? I was comforting myself thinking that NYU's application deadline was late so they are still processing, but found out in old forums that they usually invite for an interview in late Feb. 🤧

I also applied to Steinhardt and haven't heard anything from them, except for a reminder two weeks after the deadline that one of my recommenders hadn't uploaded a LOR yet, so you're not alone! 

20 minutes ago, rhonda89 said:

I also applied to Steinhardt and haven't heard anything from them, except for a reminder two weeks after the deadline that one of my recommenders hadn't uploaded a LOR yet, so you're not alone! 

Ahh thank you so much for your reply. I feel better. Hope we could hear back soon. :))