MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

On 3/29/2023 at 1:50 PM, saf09 said:

Hi Everyone! Firstly, congrats to those who got accepted into an MSW program this year. Wishing you the best of luck in your journey ahead. I received offers of admission from both Western and U of T-- I plan on attending U of T in the fall. I wanted to share my experience and some helpful tips in the application.

In terms of experience, I took a 2-year gap after I completed my undergrad in psychology. I spent a lot of time volunteering and working with various organizations, particularly those that serve newcomers. I helped lead wellness workshops for newcomer adults; supported leadership development programs for newcomer youth while working as a Youth Worker. I also spent an amazing year facilitating peer-support groups for young adults needing a place to talk about their mental health--a very reflective experience. Altogether, I probably had around 2000 hours of combined volunteer and work experience. I also had a publication and research experience. My GPA was about an A-.

With that being said, how you write these applications is more important than the experience. Some people have gotten in with only a year's worth of experience. Social Work committees really value the lived experiences and identities of applicants. I encourage you to incorporate that in the application. Don't be afraid of showing your personality, as well.  It's also important to speak about WHAT you have learned from your various volunteer/employment roles. What did these roles teach you? How can you link this to social work practice? I spent a lot of time reflecting on these questions. As an example, while speaking about providing peer support, I wrote in my application that this experience helped me to better understand the lack of choice racialized youth face over their mental health care while navigating the mental health system. 

I struggled a lot to answer these application questions, and it helps having a friend and or someone in the field to give some feedback. Please be kind to yourselves and DONT give up! I honestly did not expect to get admission into any school. Use this time to reflect on the experiences you currently have, and how you can tie this together during the next application cycle.

I hope this helps! I will try to answer any questions you might have.

Saf

1000% yes!! This is very helpful advice for future applicants. It's not about having the most experience or the best grades, it's about your insights and how you'll contribute to the field in a unique way. Saf has hit the nail on the head here. If you're planning to apply soon I invite you to join the MSW Application Facebook Group - it's a place for MSW applicants to connect and get support. 

Congrats on your acceptances btw Saf!!

On 3/29/2023 at 9:43 AM, Liv987 said:

I was wondering if anyone has any insight to this. I applied for several 2-year MSW programs, and the 1 year HBSW at Waterloo. I’ve been waitlisted at 2 MSW programs and accepted to the BSW program. I’m not too hopeful that I will get in to the MSW programs so I’m trying to decide what to do about the BSW program. My goal would be to get into an MSW program next year but I don’t know what’s my better option, do the BSW and then apply for advanced standing or to work and then apply to regular track again. Does anyone know typically, which track is easier to get into? For context, I have a 96% average, currently have about 1400 hours of social work experience (the BSW program would give me another 700), and personal statements and references are very strong. Basically my weak point is my hours so would it be easier with increased hours to get into the regular or advanced track program?

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

If you have a BSW you can ONLY apply to advanced standing. You will also get more experience through the internship which will give you more to talk about when it comes time to apply for your MSW. 

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions!! 

1 hour ago, mayooo said:

Has anyone heard back from Western's 1 Year MSW program that was originally waitlisted? 

I have not yet but I am on the waitlist - do you know when we're supposed to start seeing movement? 

19 minutes ago, ramo06 said:

I have not yet but I am on the waitlist - do you know when we're supposed to start seeing movement? 

I’m not sure about advanced standing but I was looking back at last year’s forum for regular track and it was mid-April that the waitlist started moving. I think decisions for both programs came out around the same time this year so presumably the waitlists should start moving at the same time?

8 minutes ago, DenDen123 said:

Wondering if anyone knows how many people applied to the MSW full time advanced standing program. Laurier released their decisions this morning. 

I applied but I have not heard an accept or decline yet via email! I know a classmate of mine did hear back and got accepted. 

Received my response from Laurier's Advanced Standing MSW. I got waitlisted, and in the email it says that there are 30 applicants that will be on the waitlist and they will not release your standing in the waitlist. 

So far, only one acceptance, and 3 waitlists. 

2 hours ago, Pertino29 said:

Received my response from Laurier's Advanced Standing MSW. I got waitlisted, and in the email it says that there are 30 applicants that will be on the waitlist and they will not release your standing in the waitlist. 

So far, only one acceptance, and 3 waitlists. 

Waitlist is still good! Did it say in your email how many people had applied for how many were accepted? 

2 hours ago, DenDen123 said:

Waitlist is still good! Did it say in your email how many people had applied for how many were accepted? 

No, they didn't say how many were accepted or how many applied. That would be interesting to know though.

13 hours ago, Liv987 said:

Does anyone know how to decline a previously accepted offer of admission at Waterloo? Can I do it on QUEST or do I need to contact admissions?

You need to advise the school directly.  Did you accept Waterloo and just get in to Laurier ? That’s my situation. already began the practicum planning with Waterloo. 

1 hour ago, sw85 said:

You need to advise the school directly.  Did you accept Waterloo and just get in to Laurier ? That’s my situation. already began the practicum planning with Waterloo. 

Thank you! Nope, I’m regular track so still waiting for Laurier. I’ve actually only been accepted to the HBSW at Waterloo (so far) but have decided against it.

2 hours ago, sw85 said:

Do you know how the practicum planning works? Like can we let waterloo know where we want to do our practicum? 

23 minutes ago, skittles15 said:

Do you know how the practicum planning works? Like can we let waterloo know where we want to do our practicum? 

Yes. Waterloo relies on the student to come up with placement. They have emailed some opportunities out locally but not a lot. 

5 hours ago, mswapp1 said:

Hi all,

I applied to the advanced standing MSWWP. I haven’t received a decision yet but was told that my application was sent to the office of grad studies for further review.

Does anyone know what this might mean??

The wait is so painful!

I don't know what it means, but it sounds like a good thing! Good luck!!