MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone! I am a Social Worker & MSW student who helps students applying for their social work programs with the admissions process including editing/advising on admission papers, curriculum vitae/resumes and more! I thoroughly research the schools you are applying for to get a deeper understanding of what they are looking for specifically to give you the best possible chance of being admitted. I have over 10 years of experience as a Social Worker! If you'd like to work with me please email socialworkhelp33@gmail.com

What programs is everyone applying to or planning to apply to? For me, I plan to apply to the U of T MSW, Wilfred Laurier MSW online and York MSW. I also plan on applying to the U of T MEd in Counselling Psychology as well; last season this was my top choice program but I didn't get in. This is my first time applying to the MSW route, I didn't know much about it before. I think my top two programs are the U of T MSW and the Laurier MSW. The U of T MSW is such a good program overall but the Laurier MSW would allow me to keep my full-time job and complete my practicum at my workplace (I work in a psychology clinic as an intake coordinator). I might apply to Adler or Yorkville as backups but honestly the almost $50,000 tuition is way more than I could handle. Would love to hear where everyone else is in the process!

2 minutes ago, stillpsych said:

What programs is everyone applying to or planning to apply to? For me, I plan to apply to the U of T MSW, Wilfred Laurier MSW online and York MSW. I also plan on applying to the U of T MEd in Counselling Psychology as well; last season this was my top choice program but I didn't get in. This is my first time applying to the MSW route, I didn't know much about it before. I think my top two programs are the U of T MSW and the Laurier MSW. The U of T MSW is such a good program overall but the Laurier MSW would allow me to keep my full-time job and complete my practicum at my workplace (I work in a psychology clinic as an intake coordinator). I might apply to Adler or Yorkville as backups but honestly the almost $50,000 tuition is way more than I could handle. Would love to hear where everyone else is in the process!

HIi there! I Remember you from last year’s post! Nice to see you again :) we’re going through this journey together again. 

I am applying to exactly the same programs as you, in addition to the Windsor MSW online program. I don’t think I am going to apply to Adler or Yorkville yet, because of how expensive it is. Last year I only applied to the MeD program (it is my top program) and same as you, I wasn’t really aware of the MSW route that much. 

Has anyone started working on statements and stuff?

On 8/16/2022 at 4:00 PM, stillpsych said:

Hey! I sent you a message in your inbox :) 

On 8/11/2022 at 11:59 AM, canadiandmbfan said:

Hello, anyone apply to WLU PT regular track for Winter 2023? The waiting is killing me. 

I'm in the same boat! It's been a long wait. It looks like in past years, decisions were released mid-late September - so likely another few weeks still...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm looking to apply to MSW programs for the first time this fall and I was wondering if anyone could give me there 2 cents on something. I'm planning to apply to programs that would allow me to work in both micro and macro positions (at different times of my career) with my population of interest being children and youth. Right now I'm applying to UofT, Carleton and Windsor. I was considering Laurier and York but I felt they may focus more on clinical and critical work respectively. If anyone has information on "generalist" programs that would be really helpful!

Cheers!

On 8/16/2022 at 4:00 PM, stillpsych said:

I am applying to McGill, U of T, York, and Windsor.

McGill is my top choice as I love the city and will get to use my French skills that I don't want to lose. U of T is my second choice, then York and Windsor. I thought Windsor was easy to get into, but I heard though they require only a 73% in your last 2 years, the applicants have high 80's and higher. I did a different bachelor's before and my grades for the last year were decent, but only round up to a mid B as I had a mix of A's and B's. This year for the third year BSW program my average was 87%. I worry I do not stand a chance for Windsor. McGill I am really hoping on as they only look at your last ten credits and U of T. This is really stressing me out. 

May I ask other people's stats. Only if you are comfortable sharing. My GPA is good from last year, but I do not have much direct social service experience. Just about 200 hours combined with a research assistant position with a Social Work prof and two volunteer positions. Plus I will have 350 hours from my practicum. I feel this is not enough for any school. 

@angelicpiano I totally feel you! Personally, I don't have the highest GPA for my schools of choice, I have a 3.3 and I know most students applying have a 3.8 or higher. I had to move out of my family home abruptly right at the beginning of my fourth year which meant i started working two jobs and twice the amount of hours and my schoolwork took a backseat. I'll be explaining this in the personal statements but I still feel that my GPA is so low I might not be considered at all. My top choices are OISE for Counselling and U of T for Social Work. The bonus is that because I had to work so much more, I have a lot of direct social service experience and continue to get some in my current job as an intake coordinator. I'm hoping once this comes together in an application I could be admitted but truly I think it's luck of the draw!

Hello! 

I am getting ready to apply to MSW programs for 2023! Yay! I have noticed that several MSW programs require 2+ years post-BSW experience to apply. Does anyone know how strict schools are with this? I will be graduating with a BSW this spring but as a mature student I don't want to have to delay getting MSW. 

On 9/14/2022 at 2:09 PM, dardykat said:

Hello! 

I am getting ready to apply to MSW programs for 2023! Yay! I have noticed that several MSW programs require 2+ years post-BSW experience to apply. Does anyone know how strict schools are with this? I will be graduating with a BSW this spring but as a mature student I don't want to have to delay getting MSW. 

Exciting! 

Definitely don't delay your application if you're worried about having enough experience. I applied with a BSW and I know many other applicants have as well. 

On 9/13/2022 at 12:44 PM, stillpsych said:

@angelicpiano I totally feel you! Personally, I don't have the highest GPA for my schools of choice, I have a 3.3 and I know most students applying have a 3.8 or higher. I had to move out of my family home abruptly right at the beginning of my fourth year which meant i started working two jobs and twice the amount of hours and my schoolwork took a backseat. I'll be explaining this in the personal statements but I still feel that my GPA is so low I might not be considered at all. My top choices are OISE for Counselling and U of T for Social Work. The bonus is that because I had to work so much more, I have a lot of direct social service experience and continue to get some in my current job as an intake coordinator. I'm hoping once this comes together in an application I could be admitted but truly I think it's luck of the draw!

For me some programs look at your last two years to determine GPA and some look at your last year. Those that look at my last year of courses put me in a more advantageous position as my gpa was high last year. Then some look at the last 2 years which makes my gpa much lower. U of T look at the last year of courses, but they have to be 3000 or 4000 level. Since I transferred into social work as a university graduate with another degree, I had to take three 2000 level courses. That means that U of T has to go back to my other degree. I have 2 A's, but then one C which ruins everything. 

I hope we both get in somewhere. I know these programs are competitive. You have a lot of experience, so I think you can use that as your selling point. I also know Western University focuses more on experience, so that could be an option. 

I am trying to do as much volunteering now as I can and applying to some jobs that are social work related. Even if I only get 200 extra hours before the application deadline, that is something. 

Also, the Cousneling program at OISE is cool. I considered it, but I do not have the one-year counselling experience. 

Hello everyone ?

I recently graduated from Lakehead's 1 Year HBSW program and am looking to apply to MSWs for September 2023 as well. It's nice to know I am not alone in feeling overwhelmed and intimated by the application process!

My GPA from the 1 year program was an 87, and I have roughly 3 years of experience across various mental health and social service roles, paid and unpaid. I'm hoping to apply to UofT, York, Lakehead and Windsor, although UofT is my top choice. I also have not seen registrations open up yet so that we can begin the application process. One thing that I am wondering, does anyone know how much you can disclose on a personal statement, with regards to your lived experiences and personal stories? How much disclosure is viewed as academically and socially acceptable? 

Looking forward to navigating this nerve wracking journey with you all !

Hey @Lovey1115, that’s a good question!  

It’s a balance for sure. Social workers often enter the field because of their personal experiences, so it’s completely valid to talk about that in the personal statement (especially the part that specifically asks about personal and professional experiences!) If you choose to speak about personal experiences, it’s important to make sure that everything you’re saying has the purpose of answering the question being asked (so be sure not to digress or trauma dump all over your personal statement). You also want to think about connecting your experience to the bigger picture (Do you want to help others who experienced the same thing? How will you do that? What does the research say?)

In short, it’s a balance, and it’s different for everyone. Schools want to see critical thinking skills, and life experience is valid experience that social workers gain wisdom from.

Here’s a post that goes deeper into it.

I was going to apply to York, but my two year average is 80.5ish. For experience I still have total it up. Like I mentioned above it is mainly from tutoring and working as a staffer for non-profit organization at York University. One position involved organizing music therapy concerts in hospitals and the other was to organize free language classes for students. I also was research assistant for a social work professor for a year, and have maybe 100 volunteer hours related to social work. Plus finally my practicum (about 300 hours by mid-november). Total it is probably about 2000 something hours, but not very social work related. Should I even bother applying? I know York says you need a mid-,B only and 2 years of social work related experience, but still. I feel like I have no chances anywhere really, but York is really competitive from what I heard. 

On 8/16/2022 at 5:00 PM, stillpsych said:

Hi! I remember your posts from last year. I applied to the advanced streams at UofT, York, Ryerson, Carleton, and Laurier sast year but got waitlisted for York, UofT, and Laurier.  I didn't get in to Carleton or Ryerson. I had no work experience then though, but my grades were great. I have worked all year in child protection and have decided to apply only to Carleton and Laurier this year. I want to focus on (in person) mental health streams without a thesis or long research paper requirement. Does anyone know of other schools that have a heavy placement and no research paper requirements? 

Good luck to everyone this year!