MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

On 1/9/2023 at 9:13 AM, ChrisZ said:

Hello. 

Firstly, it is nice to have a place where we can normalize our application experience. 

I only applied once to WLU in 2020. I was rejected, and it really threw me for a loop. Since then I took time to re-evaluate my application, and decided to look at it as if I was an assessor.  I have strengthened my experience, professional development, and I am really proud of my statement of personal interest(s). I hope this year is my year. I am applying again to WLU for 2023, and to Windsor for 2023. 

I am a Registered Social Service Worker with over 20 years of experience. I have a BA in Human Services, a diploma in social services and 2 other post graduate diplomas related to the field (Trauma and Addiction Recovery) and (Rehabilitation and Disabilities). 

My GPA was 3.7.  Fingers crossed this year, and best of luck to all of you as well. ?

Rooting for you Chris. I don't know what kind of social service super stars they're accepting if you don't get in. 

23 hours ago, MSW709 said:

Hello friends!

Has anyone here applied for Wilfrid Laurier (WLU) advanced standing MSW Spring start in the past? It says we should hear back in January, and I’m just wondering when others have heard back? (Beginning, middle or end of the month?) 

Such a long wait seeing as I submitted my application the beginning of June… over 7 months waiting. I was waitlisted the previous time I applied, but it was for Winter start so offers rolled out in a different month.. I’ve also applied for Waterloo as a backup. 

Hi! Also applied for spring start, and am anxiously awaiting an email!

Did anyone get an email from UofT that their official transcript was received? I sent my official one for the MEd counselling psychology program and the MSW program both of which were due in late november, so I’m curious to know why I got the email it was “received” just last week (as opposed to “submitted” perhaps). Does this mean they’re reviewing applications now because AHH

Hi everyone! Good luck to those who have applied to an MSW program!

Just wanted to send this message as I was in your boat last year and was fortunate enough to be accepted into UofT's 2-year MSW program (started Sept 2022). For some context, I'm interested in counselling/therapy and after doing some research realized this program could help me achieve that career path (also applied to clin psych and counselling psych programs but didn't get in). I've just started my 1st year placement at a private practice clinic. 

If anyone has any questions about the program or placement options, feel free to send me a message :)

Hi all, 

I reached out to an admissions coordinator at UofT admissions yesterday regarding uploading an official transcript for my MSW application (I only uploaded an unofficial one during my application and was unsure if I needed to upload more documentation). Here is her response:

"I am responding to your message and hope you are well.  Submitting an updated unofficial transcript is entirely optional.  If you wish to do so please upload it directly onto the application portal, under the document titled updated transcript.

Thank you for your interest in our programs."

Thank you for your interest!! This felt like a soft rejection ? Please someone tell me I'm being paranoid!

Edited by Samantha123

10 hours ago, Samantha123 said:

Hi all, 

I reached out to an admissions coordinator at UofT admissions yesterday regarding uploading an official transcript for my MSW application (I only uploaded an unofficial one during my application and was unsure if I needed to upload more documentation). Here is her response:

"I am responding to your message and hope you are well.  Submitting an updated unofficial transcript is entirely optional.  If you wish to do so please upload it directly onto the application portal, under the document titled updated transcript.

Thank you for your interest in our programs."

Thank you for your interest!! This felt like a soft rejection ? Please someone tell me I'm being paranoid!

Don't worry! I received a similar email when I asked a question before the application deadline had even passed :)

Wondering if anyone has received any information from WLU regarding their Regular Track Spring 2023 start? At one point, the information on their website indicated the acceptances were targeted for January. Then, I also heard that the deadline for the application was extended, which makes me wonder if therefore the acceptances will be extended as well. 

1 hour ago, ChrisZ said:

Wondering if anyone has received any information from WLU regarding their Regular Track Spring 2023 start? At one point, the information on their website indicated the acceptances were targeted for January. Then, I also heard that the deadline for the application was extended, which makes me wonder if therefore the acceptances will be extended as well. 

I received my offer of admission for the advanced standing track about an hour ago. Good luck!!! 

Edited by MSW709

I'm pretty new to this process and I was wondering if anyone knew what human services hours and average is competitive for the advanced standing msw program. And also how admission process works I.e. who reviews your application etc. I'm wondering if the process is confidential or not (our names not being accessible until they score) 

3 hours ago, gillyb3an said:

Congratulations! When do you have to accept? 

Thank you!!! :) I believe it was February 8, and March 1 for them to receive my official transcript. I know of two people who applied but have not heard back yet. 

On 1/18/2023 at 11:48 AM, MSW709 said:

I received my offer of admission for the advanced standing track about an hour ago. Good luck!!! 

Congrats! I applied or the Laurier MSW regular track part time  fall start. I was wondering how you were notified of your acceptance decision? Did you receive an email or did it you get notified on LORIS?

Hi everyone, 

Nice to see so many eager and inspiring people applying for an MSW! I am new to the Grad Cafe and it is also my first time applying to any MSW program. 

I'm curious if anyone might have some feedback/knowledge/insights on two points. 

1. I applied to the U of T two-year MSW, and am wondering if there has historically been a period of time (e.g. January or February??) when acceptances start coming in. 

2. I reckon I'm probably somewhat of a unicorn applicant (for better or worse!). I am a lawyer who has been practicing law for roughly four years. During those years it's been civil litigation of different kinds (mainly defending healthcare professionals in malpractice lawsuits) but during my three years of law school I did several thousand hours of volunteering and paid work in legal clinics (serving low income populations and federal inmates on legal issues commonly faced by those populations, many of which you can say are "social justice" issues)..

I am hoping to apply to an MSW since over time I recognize that my own personal interests/career aspirations are more in line with a 'helping profession' that has a psychological element. Even in undergrad (over 8 years ago) I had an interest in clinical social work and psychotherapy (and took some basic psychology electives during my pol-sci / philosophy undergrad) but ultimately pursued law. In short, I am now revisiting the career crossroads I faced in late undergrad ? while I have an abundance of professional working and volunteering experience, I do not have any 'clinical' or formal 'social work' experience, though I like to think I have experience in other fields that more or less require the same soft skills.. overall I have NO IDEA of what my relative prospects are for getting into an MSW now!

I guess I'm just wondering whether there's anyone in this forum who has applied for or actually has an MSW when coming from another generally 'humanistic' professional working background, but not necessarily adjacent to social work. Any experiences/insights would be great to hear! 

Best of luck to all in the admissions process!

Edited by SearchForMeaning

34 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

Congrats! I applied or the Laurier MSW regular track part time  fall start. I was wondering how you were notified of your acceptance decision? Did you receive an email or did it you get notified on LORIS?

I received an email and you are then directed to accept or decline on LORIS! 

Hey everyone

Last year I applied to the MEd Counselling & Psychotherapy at UofT and was rejected. 

This year, I applied to the MED UofT program again, but also considered social work programs. I applied to York MSW, UofT MSW and Laurier’s Regular track MSW. 

I also applied to Mcmaster psychotherapy program. Hoping to at least get into one of those programs. I heard back from UofT in May last year, which was super daunting. I hope this year they don’t take as long. 

Hi all. I've been lurking for a while but just wanted to share that I received my admission for the May intake of Laurier's Regular Track Part-Time Online MSW today. I'm a bit in shock - it's my first time applying, and the only school I applied for, so I didn't have high hopes! If anyone else is admitted for the same time/track, I'd love to get some kind of group started to connect :)

1 hour ago, ChrisZ said:

I was also accepted to WLU for the regular part time online MSW. I am still shaking and shivering a bit from shock, excitement, and maybe some nerves ;) I would be totally game to join an online group with other folks. 

Congrats!!

Is it the September or May start?