MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

Hi Folks,

I am writing a professional reference for a collueage that I supervised that is applying for an MSW. We work for government in a call centre environment. The reference form asked me to speak to the persons intellectual abilities and they are excellent. I filled in the "additional info" block giving a few examples but after hitting submit I feel like I could offer more.

I've heard that it's not uncommon for those supplying references to also write a letter to the school speaking to th person's ability. I think this might be a good idea. I am just curious what sort of things the admission team is looking for. Of course, I don't want to imbelish but at the same time I don't want to provide irrelavent info. Any advice here would be great. 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, ChrisZ said:

I was also accepted to WLU for the regular part time online MSW. I am still shaking and shivering a bit from shock, excitement, and maybe some nerves ;) I would be totally game to join an online group with other folks. 

The shock is definitely real over here, too! Congratulations :) Hopefully there'll be more of us over the next week or so.

On 1/19/2023 at 2:13 PM, SearchForMeaning said:

Hi everyone, 

Nice to see so many eager and inspiring people applying for an MSW! I am new to the Grad Cafe and it is also my first time applying to any MSW program. 

I'm curious if anyone might have some feedback/knowledge/insights on two points. 

1. I applied to the U of T two-year MSW, and am wondering if there has historically been a period of time (e.g. January or February??) when acceptances start coming in. 

2. I reckon I'm probably somewhat of a unicorn applicant (for better or worse!). I am a lawyer who has been practicing law for roughly four years. During those years it's been civil litigation of different kinds (mainly defending healthcare professionals in malpractice lawsuits) but during my three years of law school I did several thousand hours of volunteering and paid work in legal clinics (serving low income populations and federal inmates on legal issues commonly faced by those populations, many of which you can say are "social justice" issues)..

I am hoping to apply to an MSW since over time I recognize that my own personal interests/career aspirations are more in line with a 'helping profession' that has a psychological element. Even in undergrad (over 8 years ago) I had an interest in clinical social work and psychotherapy (and took some basic psychology electives during my pol-sci / philosophy undergrad) but ultimately pursued law. In short, I am now revisiting the career crossroads I faced in late undergrad ? while I have an abundance of professional working and volunteering experience, I do not have any 'clinical' or formal 'social work' experience, though I like to think I have experience in other fields that more or less require the same soft skills.. overall I have NO IDEA of what my relative prospects are for getting into an MSW now!

I guess I'm just wondering whether there's anyone in this forum who has applied for or actually has an MSW when coming from another generally 'humanistic' professional working background, but not necessarily adjacent to social work. Any experiences/insights would be great to hear! 

Best of luck to all in the admissions process!

Hey! Welcome :) 

I actually work with MSW applicants to help them write their personal statements and many of them come from unique backgrounds. I actually find that having a unique background can stand out. It's all about how you market yourself! Here's some examples of how past applicants talked about their backgrounds.

Good luck with your application, and If you have any questions feel free to send me a DM!

Hi everyone,

I was also accepted to Wilfred Laurier's Regular Track Online MSW, to start in Spring 2023. I received the email Friday morning. I'm also a bit in shock, and a bit nervous, but it's the good kind of nervous, like moving to a new city or starting a new job.

I would love to connect with someone who has done or is currently doing the online MSW at Laurier, as I am curious about the assignments and what they typically look like, given the courses are condensed into 6-week periods. I have a previous Master of Arts degree and in that program course essays typically had to be around 20 pages in length, for a 3-month on campus course. I asked the enrollment advisor at Laurier prior to applying for the MSW if the online course assignments included extended essays, but all she said was that I could expect regular assignments aside from exams. If anyone knows please let me know! Also sorry if I'm posting this question in the wrong place, I wasn't really sure where else to ask!

Edited by childlikefancy

On 1/23/2023 at 9:25 PM, childlikefancy said:

I asked the enrollment advisor at Laurier prior to applying for the MSW if the online course assignments included extended essays, but all she said was that I could expect regular assignments aside from exams. If anyone knows please let me know!

My friend graduated from the program a couple years ago and says none of their papers were longer than 12 pages, so fingers crossed! General format is apparently weekly discussion posts, one smaller midterm assignment, and then a final paper.

23 minutes ago, socialworking said:

My friend graduated from the program a couple years ago and says none of their papers were longer than 12 pages, so fingers crossed! General format is apparently weekly discussion posts, one smaller midterm assignment, and then a final paper.

Great, thanks so much! I’m relieved there are no 20 page essays! 

Edited by childlikefancy

I received my admissions offer for the University of Calgary's Foundation clinical social work program today (Spring start) :) The graduate advisor emailed me to let me know the program has changed since I applied and I now have the option to do the program fully remote if I would like! Or I can do the in-person program in Calgary!

10 hours ago, Samantha123 said:

I received my admissions offer for the University of Calgary's Foundation clinical social work program today (Spring start) :) The graduate advisor emailed me to let me know the program has changed since I applied and I now have the option to do the program fully remote if I would like! Or I can do the in-person program in Calgary!

Congratulations! Did you apply to the in-person program? And do you have a social work degree?

10 hours ago, Samantha123 said:

Wow that's awesome, congrats Samantha123!  I was just curious - did they say if there's a time difference in completion between doing it fully remote or doing it in-person in Calgary? When I was researching these options, it seemed like the Edmonton/mostly remote program would take about 3 years, and the in-person Calgary route would take 2 years. 

I also got admission for the MSW program in UofC yesterday for foundation (International and Community Development specialization). The graduate advisor stated that there is a change in delivery route for the program as it will now be primarily online!????. I have a degree in law as an international student and have just volunteer experience in social work. All my eggs were in this basket. I am sò grateful to God. Sending positive vibes to everyone!❤️

13 hours ago, Samantha123 said:

Congratulations ?. I also got admission into the foundation program but ICD specialization ! Congratulations again to you ???❤️

I am bad at this website and don't know how to reply, but my application for Carlton still says preliminary review required. Hoping it means nothing since they say on the website you will hear sometime in February. 

Edit: After learning that your status is different if you click on the link to check status below where it just says it on the base application my status is recommended for assessment so hopefully that means not too long from now! 

Edited by nervousqueen

On 1/26/2023 at 12:14 PM, Dana- said:

Wow that's awesome, congrats Samantha123!  I was just curious - did they say if there's a time difference in completion between doing it fully remote or doing it in-person in Calgary? When I was researching these options, it seemed like the Edmonton/mostly remote program would take about 3 years, and the in-person Calgary route would take 2 years. 

Congratulations Samantha123!! 

Dana, I have also applied to Calgary for the Distance Education, Clinical Social Work specialization, and my understanding is this MSW program is expected to be completed in 20 months. I heard offers for Calgary's online program would be shared in February and now that you are all receiving them I am realizing how close the decision time is! Did those accepted to Calgary receive an email or see a change in their application status on UCalgary's portal?

Are there folks that have applied to Laurier for the advanced standing, in-person program? Good luck to all who are waiting!!

54 minutes ago, nervousqueen said:

I am bad at this website and don't know how to reply, but my application for Carlton still says preliminary review required. Hoping it means nothing since they say on the website you will hear sometime in February. 

Edit: After learning that your status is different if you click on the link to check status below where it just says it on the base application my status is recommended for assessment so hopefully that means not too long from now! 

Most applicants in previous years seem to have heard back from Carleton in mid to late February; so not too long now! My application status has been 'recommended for assessment' since November, and waiting this long has felt torturous lol. I hope you get accepted :)

2 hours ago, jmcinn97 said:

Most applicants in previous years seem to have heard back from Carleton in mid to late February; so not too long now! My application status has been 'recommended for assessment' since November, and waiting this long has felt torturous lol. I hope you get accepted :)

Yes I received an email on the 25th telling me that my application was favorably reviewed but there is a change in the delivery route of the program and I should confirm if I was ok with it. After confirming, I got a mail today 27th with the official offer of admission and also information on how to accept or decline the offer by 25th of February. Then I checked the portal and it said my application has been updated. 

11 minutes ago, MswCalgary said:

Yes I received an email on the 25th telling me that my application was favorably reviewed but there is a change in the delivery route of the program and I should confirm if I was ok with it. After confirming, I got a mail today 27th with the official offer of admission and also information on how to accept or decline the offer by 25th of February. Then I checked the portal and it said my application has been updated. 

Change in the delivery route of the program?

8 hours ago, HanDMacL said:

Any update on Carleton?

Hey! There likely won't be any real update regarding admission until some time in late February as the MSW website says though I hope - by some miracle - that we hear back sooner. Good luck! I hope we both get accepted :)

Edited by jmcinn97

24 minutes ago, MswCalgary said:

I have no idea what you're talking about lol. You responded to my comment about Carleton University. From what I can tell through your previous responses, you applied/got accepted to uCalgary - congratulations! :)

3 minutes ago, MswCalgary said:

@lisaollieYes I received an email on the 25th telling me that my application was favorably reviewed but there is a change in the delivery route of the program and I should confirm if I was ok with it. After confirming, I got a mail today 27th with the official offer of admission and also information on how to accept or decline the offer by 25th of February. Then I checked the portal and it said my application has been updated. 

16 minutes ago, jmcinn97 said:

I have no idea what you're talking about lol. You responded to my comment about Carleton University. From what I can tell through your previous responses, you applied/got accepted to uCalgary - congratulations! :)

Oh so sorry. That was a mistake. I was trying to reply lisaollie. I’m still trying to figure how to navigate this site?. Thank you ?? 

Hello! Anybody else apply for WLU, MSW, non-BSW, online part-time program, September 2023 start? This is my THIRD time applying! My grades are not stellar, I think I have an 78% average over last two years. However, this time I have 15,000 hours of experience and over 5000 of which are clinical (addictions counsellor, mental health counsellor, and now a therapist within a private practice). I have my diploma in Social Service Work and my BA in Psychology (really wish I had done the BSW....). 

I wish they didn't make us wait so long ?

Good luck everyone! 

On 1/29/2023 at 7:50 AM, Joyful13 said:

Hello! Anybody else apply for WLU, MSW, non-BSW, online part-time program, September 2023 start? This is my THIRD time applying! My grades are not stellar, I think I have an 78% average over last two years. However, this time I have 15,000 hours of experience and over 5000 of which are clinical (addictions counsellor, mental health counsellor, and now a therapist within a private practice). I have my diploma in Social Service Work and my BA in Psychology (really wish I had done the BSW....). 

I wish they didn't make us wait so long ?

Good luck everyone! 

I’ve applied to this program! WLU only looks at the most recent year of study from what I’ve been told, so if you have good grades in your last year of undergrad you should be fine in that regard :) I have an A- average in my most recent year of study and over 5k hours of social service experience. It definitely sucks that we have to wait until May to find out if we’re accepted or not, but I’m cautiously optimistic. Good luck!