MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

On 9/20/2022 at 4:08 PM, Pastalini said:

Hi! I remember your posts from last year. I applied to the advanced streams at UofT, York, Ryerson, Carleton, and Laurier sast year but got waitlisted for York, UofT, and Laurier.  I didn't get in to Carleton or Ryerson. I had no work experience then though, but my grades were great. I have worked all year in child protection and have decided to apply only to Carleton and Laurier this year. I want to focus on (in person) mental health streams without a thesis or long research paper requirement. Does anyone know of other schools that have a heavy placement and no research paper requirements? 

Good luck to everyone this year!

I am sorry you got waitlisting last year. Hoping you get in to a program this year! May I ask what your GPA was when you applied last year? Also, did you have any volunteer experience or job experience that is in social services but not social work related or just nothing at all? 

I am asking as I am applying to UofT advanced standing and nervous. 

8 hours ago, angelicpiano said:

I am sorry you got waitlisting last year. Hoping you get in to a program this year! May I ask what your GPA was when you applied last year? Also, did you have any volunteer experience or job experience that is in social services but not social work related or just nothing at all? 

I am asking as I am applying to UofT advanced standing and nervous. 

Hey! I had a couple thousand hours of social work related volunteer and work experience, but zero hours of direct social work "title" work hours because I was still in school when I applied. I know most schools want a couple year of direct social work "title" work hours, but everyone's backgrounds are different, so thats not a hard fast rule either. its all quite confusing, so I just took a chance.

Edited by Pastalini

Hi folks.  I was not accepted into Laurier's part-time advanced MSW online program, so I've started the application to apply to UofT's MSW program (which is a quite a different process).  I think I didn't have enough work experience for Laurier so I'm hoping UofT is a better fit for me and I appreciate that they value practicum experience. 

Quick summary incase it could help someone:

- 5 different practicum experiences in social services
- Employment experience in foster care and adult services; in providing resources and programs/events around mental health and wellness on-campus through counselling services; research assistant in social work
- Involved on-campus in a few different ways, received an award for contributions towards making changes towards social justice
- Academically top of my class in University (BSW) and College (CYW) (received a recognition award)

Edited by missty

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I have noticed that people are chatting mostly about programs in Ontario - have any of you guys had experience applying to MSW programs in BC? (Foundational programs in particular). 

A quick bit about me: I have recently graduated from UVic with a BA in English and a minor in Psychology. I also have taken some counselling courses which I thoroughly enjoyed and sparked an interest in clinical work. I have a few years of social work related experience in several areas and am currently a community support worker serving quite a diverse client base (in both age and support needs). My grades in my last couple of years were okay (an 8.0 on the UVic 9.0 scale, which translates to an A) but my overall GPA is an A- because of some French courses I took in my second year ?

I am currently working on my applications, have almost secured all of my references and am getting started on personal statements/statements of intent. It is such a nerve wracking process - I'm so eager to get started on my career and to get a more in-depth education on social work theory and practice, but it seems so competitive and scary! 

Does anyone have any advice or pointers for personal statements/SOPs? And what have you guys heard about funding/scholarships?

I'd love to hear about your experiences!

Hello all, 

Applied last year to UofT, Laurier, and Western for the 2 year MSW program with no luck. 

Reapplying this year with a 1 year BSW from Lakehead in the works and this time I'm planning on applying to TMU, UofT, and Laurier to the advanced standing programs. I've also been thinking about applying to Dalhousie's program, has anyone heard anything about it? Most of my applications open Oct 15, but I've already started on my UofT application. 

Good luck everyone! 

On 10/7/2022 at 3:14 AM, Evs22 said:

Hello everyone!

I have noticed that people are chatting mostly about programs in Ontario - have any of you guys had experience applying to MSW programs in BC? (Foundational programs in particular). 

A quick bit about me: I have recently graduated from UVic with a BA in English and a minor in Psychology. I also have taken some counselling courses which I thoroughly enjoyed and sparked an interest in clinical work. I have a few years of social work related experience in several areas and am currently a community support worker serving quite a diverse client base (in both age and support needs). My grades in my last couple of years were okay (an 8.0 on the UVic 9.0 scale, which translates to an A) but my overall GPA is an A- because of some French courses I took in my second year ?

I am currently working on my applications, have almost secured all of my references and am getting started on personal statements/statements of intent. It is such a nerve wracking process - I'm so eager to get started on my career and to get a more in-depth education on social work theory and practice, but it seems so competitive and scary! 

Does anyone have any advice or pointers for personal statements/SOPs? And what have you guys heard about funding/scholarships?

I'd love to hear about your experiences!

Sounds like you have good experience and grades! I totally get how stressful the application process is- you want to make sure you package your experience in way that stands out and showcases your strengths. Have you joined the Facebook group posted on the 1st page? In the FB group we go into more detail about how to write an effective MSW personal statement. Feel free to join us :) 

Hi everyone! I'm applying for the first time and thought I'd join this forum :) I'm planning on applying to the 2-year MSW programs at UofT, UVic, and Laurier. Can someone tell me if my experiences are good enough for the MSW programs?

I graduated last year with a 3.54/4.0 cGPA with an A- average in the last two years. 

I have 2 research assistant experiences (1 for a few months, 1 for a year that involved supporting a marginalized group), and 1 mental health-related research project at school. I volunteered as a crisis line responder for 6 months, as a group facilitator for 8 months, was in 3 mental health clubs for a span of 2 years, was a student mentor for a year. I worked as a crisis responder at a homeless shelter for 5 months, at a clothing store for a year, a tutor for 6 months, as a substance abuse counsellor for 3 months, and currently as an ABA therapist for almost a year. 

Thank you and I wish you all the best of luck!

Hi everyone! I was wondering if somebody could give me some advice. I’m applying for a bunch of schools but feel super overwhelmed with this on top of full time work and volunteering to make my applications as good as possible, so I wanted to kick a school off my list but for the life of me I can’t decide which. Currently I’m applying to U of T, UBC, Windsor, Laurier, Carlton, and Western. If anyone has any thoughts thoughts or advice on how to choose that would be great! I have a high gpa from my final year (less high otherwise) and around 1500 hours of work experience just including the hours I’m positive will count, and am most interested in youth and adolescent mental health.

Edited by nervousqueen

11 hours ago, nervousqueen said:

Hi everyone! I was wondering if somebody could give me some advice. I’m applying for a bunch of schools but feel super overwhelmed with this on top of full time work and volunteering to make my applications as good as possible, so I wanted to kick a school off my list but for the life of me I can’t decide which. Currently I’m applying to U of T, UBC, Windsor, Laurier, Carlton, and Western. If anyone has any thoughts thoughts or advice on how to choose that would be great! I have a high gpa from my final year (less high otherwise) and around 1500 hours of work experience just including the hours I’m positive will count, and am most interested in youth and adolescent mental health.

Hey! I'm applying to some of those schools too, but to the foundation streams. I don't know much about the UBC program itself because I'm not planning on applying, but Vancouver as a city is extremely culturally different to cities in Ontario imo (source: lived there for 8 months). You'll certainly get great experience during practicums and the hiking/outdoorsy lifestyle is awesome. 

If I were you, I wouldn't kick any schools off your list. Some of the statements of purpose/intent etc I have looked at so far seem to have relatively similar questions, so you can write out a few drafts and tailor them to the individual schools. Of course, this won't work for every program - UVic's SOP is quite unique and I'll have to write something totally fresh. My strategy so far has been to try and do a little bit of work on my applications each day, with an eye on the deadlines (applying to 8 schools this cycle). As an English major, I have written a lot of essays throughout my school career, and the best strategy I have found for writing papers is to hit 200-300 words per day over a couple of weeks. Significantly easier than sitting down and typing for 10 hours straight. I also keep my notes app handy to throw in ideas whenever they randomly pop into my head.  

You can do it!! 

On 10/13/2022 at 12:09 PM, cookiecrumble said:

Hi everyone! I'm applying for the first time and thought I'd join this forum :) I'm planning on applying to the 2-year MSW programs at UofT, UVic, and Laurier. Can someone tell me if my experiences are good enough for the MSW programs?

I graduated last year with a 3.54/4.0 cGPA with an A- average in the last two years. 

I have 2 research assistant experiences (1 for a few months, 1 for a year that involved supporting a marginalized group), and 1 mental health-related research project at school. I volunteered as a crisis line responder for 6 months, as a group facilitator for 8 months, was in 3 mental health clubs for a span of 2 years, was a student mentor for a year. I worked as a crisis responder at a homeless shelter for 5 months, at a clothing store for a year, a tutor for 6 months, as a substance abuse counsellor for 3 months, and currently as an ABA therapist for almost a year. 

Thank you and I wish you all the best of luck!

I'm applying for all of those too! I don't have as much variety of experiences as you though ? so you're in a better position than me. Which school is your top choice?

2 hours ago, cookiecrumble said:

Aw I hope you get into the programs you applied for! My top is UofT, how about you? 

You too! I think my top two are UFV & UVic. If I get into both (it's a long shot) it'll be a difficult decision! 

On 10/19/2022 at 12:57 AM, Evs22 said:

You too! I think my top two are UFV & UVic. If I get into both (it's a long shot) it'll be a difficult decision! 

You got this!! For some reason I couldn't find out exactly how competitive UVic actually is. Do you know how many people they admit? It seems through all my research online that it's not too hard to get into, but then again I'm in Ontario and don't know much about schools in other provinces hahah

Hi! It’s my first time applying (and first time posting ?) to an MSW program. I applied to Laurier, UVic, MUN & Waterloo! My grades are strong, but I’m really worried about a lot of programs requiring 2 “social work” years experience post BSW. I have a degree in psych, 5 years experience in service navigation, and I’m currently in my last year of my BSW. I know a lot of universities say they will consider equivalent work in human services, but I’m just curious how strict they are and how successful other applicants have been??  

Edited by Ajr008

Hi everyone! 

I can't be the only one in my current situation, so I am seeking some support. 

This fall, will be my 5th consecutive year applying to MSW programs. In the past I've applied to UofT, Mac, and York. 

I've been a registered social worker for 3 years now and have been at my current job with the Govt. of Ontario for 2 years. My situation is unique due to my university experiences. I completed my BA in Psychology entirely online through Queen's University. Being online, it was difficult to build relationships with professors. In addition, I worked full-time throughout my degree, so I had little time to focus on school, however still maintained high grades. I then completed the One-Year HBSW program through Lakehead University. The program structure is 6 months of coursework followed by 6 months of placement. It's an accelerated program where each class is around 2.5 weeks long for the summer, and then you take a few classes in the fall semester from Sept-Dec. It is very challenging to build relationships with professors due to the little amount of time spent with each one.

After getting rejected from Mac, I reached out and was informed that I had a very strong application with excellent grades, however, my references "could be stronger". When choosing my academic references, I chose the professors that I was able to build somewhat of a relationship with, so I thought they'd be my strongest option. My average is an 87.5%, and I have over 10+ years working in the social services industry, as well as a lengthy list of volunteering experiences on provincial and national committees and with community organizations. I'm really struggling with applying to school and not sure what next step I should take.

If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it greatly. 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, French_MSW said:

Hi everyone! 

I can't be the only one in my current situation, so I am seeking some support. 

This fall, will be my 5th consecutive year applying to MSW programs. In the past I've applied to UofT, Mac, and York. 

I've been a registered social worker for 3 years now and have been at my current job with the Govt. of Ontario for 2 years. My situation is unique due to my university experiences. I completed my BA in Psychology entirely online through Queen's University. Being online, it was difficult to build relationships with professors. In addition, I worked full-time throughout my degree, so I had little time to focus on school, however still maintained high grades. I then completed the One-Year HBSW program through Lakehead University. The program structure is 6 months of coursework followed by 6 months of placement. It's an accelerated program where each class is around 2.5 weeks long for the summer, and then you take a few classes in the fall semester from Sept-Dec. It is very challenging to build relationships with professors due to the little amount of time spent with each one.

After getting rejected from Mac, I reached out and was informed that I had a very strong application with excellent grades, however, my references "could be stronger". When choosing my academic references, I chose the professors that I was able to build somewhat of a relationship with, so I thought they'd be my strongest option. My average is an 87.5%, and I have over 10+ years working in the social services industry, as well as a lengthy list of volunteering experiences on provincial and national committees and with community organizations. I'm really struggling with applying to school and not sure what next step I should take.

If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it greatly. 

Thank you!

When selecting references for grad school applications, choose those who can speak most to the qualities desired by graduate schools (people who work independently, are curious about their field, and that have a demonstrated track-record of excelling, whether academic or work-related) and that you've had long relationships with (research project supervisor, a professor that you've taken 3+ courses with and done well each time, or managers/bosses in jobs that you've excelled at and held for over a year).

Make sure you are sending your transcripts, CV/resume, personal statements, and research proposal (if applicable) to your referees. You can also ask them to speak to specific qualities. The more they know about you and your experiences, the better their letters will be.

16 hours ago, verynervousstudent said:

Hi! It’s my first time applying (and first time posting ?) to an MSW program. I applied to Laurier, UVic, MUN & Waterloo! My grades are strong, but I’m really worried about a lot of programs requiring 2 “social work” years experience post BSW. I have a degree in psych, 5 years experience in service navigation, and I’m currently in my last year of my BSW. I know a lot of universities say they will consider equivalent work in human services, but I’m just curious how strict they are and how successful other applicants have been??  

Hey @verynervousstudent - I totally get how nerve-wracking it can be when schools have specific requirements and you're not sure how strict they stick to those guidelines. I can tell you that I applied to grad school right out of my BSW with no paid social work experience and I got accepted to several programs. The biggest thing schools of social work are looking for are your ability to think critically and your potential contribution to the social work field. If you can demonstrate both of those things it doesn't matter how much experience you have. Check out this post that goes into more detail

Hi everyone!

I am a senior student in mainland China and I will graduate next year in June. I want to go straight to pursue my MSW degree in 2023 fall!

My situation is a little bit compliated, since in mainland China we don't have BSW degree although my major is Social Work, I will be awarded a Bachelor of Law degree instead. I am still not sure which I should apply to, the regular track or the advanced one?  I wonder if anyone can give me some advice here:)

Thanks a lot!

Hi guys!

It's my second time applying to MSW programs and I'm planning on applying to the 2-year programs since I don't have a BSW. 

What are your thoughts on Laurier's MSW? On the website it says they recommend 2 years+ of human services experience which is equivalent to 3500 hours (1750 hours = 1 year according to them).

I only have about 1500 hours and I'm debating whether I should apply because I don't feel like I have enough experience.

What are people's thoughts on Windsor University's MSW as well? 

I would appreciate any input!! Thanks everyone :)

On 10/24/2022 at 3:52 PM, jyjy22 said:

Hi guys!

It's my second time applying to MSW programs and I'm planning on applying to the 2-year programs since I don't have a BSW. 

What are your thoughts on Laurier's MSW? On the website it says they recommend 2 years+ of human services experience which is equivalent to 3500 hours (1750 hours = 1 year according to them).

I only have about 1500 hours and I'm debating whether I should apply because I don't feel like I have enough experience.

What are people's thoughts on Windsor University's MSW as well? 

I would appreciate any input!! Thanks everyone :)

Hey! I help MSW applicants with their personal statements, and I can tell you that I've seen people get accepted even without 2 years experience. I find that it's more of a guideline, and what they're looking for when asking for two years of experience is for you to demonstrate your ability to think critically and contribute to the field. Also, you can sometimes make a case for your other experience as valid experience. For example, when I worked in a call centre I was helping people solve problems and navigate high stress situations which is directly applicable to social work. Also, you can count things like volunteer experiences, internships, and other experience even if it's not necessarily paid experience. It's all about how you frame your experience! 

Hi :)

I am interested in applying to the two year MSW at UofT. For context, I am completing my MSc in Epidemiology (3.8/4.0 GPA) and previously completed my Honours Bachelor of Health Sciences (4.0 GPA in last 2 years). The majority of my employment experiences are research-related (specifically in Indigenous health, family violence, south asian health, policy and equity), but I also have worked closely with students as a residence mentor and student ambassador on campus in my undergrad. In terms of volunteer work, I am currently on a (personal health condition specific) advisory board, ran a public health student wellness initiative in my masters and established a mentorship initiative to support students in my undergrad program as a alumnus.

I'm wondering if my experience and qualifications are suitable to apply for UofT's program? Thank you in advance for your guidance!

I just heard back from U Windsor with acceptance to their working professionals program, non-BSW fall 2023 start.

This was my 3rd time applying, the first time I got waitlisted and second I didn't get in/I applied late (in January) and they emailed that the program was full and then sent a rejection email.

This time I submitted my application on the day it opened, Sept 6, and just waited for my referees to submit their references. The last one was sent Oct 20, and I heard back November 4th. I definitely think applying early for the MSWwp is the trick hah.

I have about 10,000 hours of paid work experience. I worked in developmental services, case management, housing, and now community engagement. I've volunteered for about 4 years doing tenant organizing, and tried to speak to that and my political commitments in my statement. My BA was in cognitive science at U of T and my GPA was 3.3 (pretty sure I had multiple C's in there so, this was definitely my weak point). Oh I also didn't use an academic reference this time, I barely knew the prof and figured maybe he's weighing me down with a weak reference, so chose 3 strong professional references. Guess that was the right call.

Good luck everyone with your applications!