MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

Hello!
I am applying to York and TMU (Ryerson). Debating on applying to U of T. With regard to references, do you use the same referees for all applications? Do you get concerned about overwhelming your referees if they have to write reference letters for several schools? I hate to inconvenience my referees. I feel like I am well suited for grad school, but I am overwhelmed with the application process.

Does anyone know of a site where students post reviews of the msw program they attended? My concern is that U of T will not be critical enough for me, although I dont mind that it is course-based. I am currently doing my BSW at McMaster, and it is quite anti oppressive and critical.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 12:06 PM, Kristine said:

Hello!
I am applying to York and TMU (Ryerson). Debating on applying to U of T. With regard to references, do you use the same referees for all applications? Do you get concerned about overwhelming your referees if they have to write reference letters for several schools? I hate to inconvenience my referees. I feel like I am well suited for grad school, but I am overwhelmed with the application process.

Does anyone know of a site where students post reviews of the msw program they attended? My concern is that U of T will not be critical enough for me, although I dont mind that it is course-based. I am currently doing my BSW at McMaster, and it is quite anti oppressive and critical.

I had 4 references in my application process (applying to 4 schools). I switched them up depending on what each program required, but in general, they did not mind submitting a letter for different schools -- in fact, some are used to it and even expect it! I'm guessing they just copy + paste the letters anyway and switch up the schools etc. the application process is definitely overwhelming though so i empathize with you on that. i wish you the best of luck!

Hey y'all! I'm finishing up my BA in Psych at uOttawa and I've applied to the regular track online MSW at Wilfred Laurier and the 2 year MSW at Carleton. My application status at Carleton recently changed to 'recommended for assessment'. Anyone else in the same boat? :)

Hi everyone, does anyone know if schools prefer for applicants to cite research in their statement of interest? Specifically research focused schools. I am applying to McMaster and it will be my 5th year. I've heard that you should cite in your statement, however, the statement can only be 4 pages. Would using numerical citations work in this case where space is limited?

9 hours ago, French_MSW said:

Hi everyone, does anyone know if schools prefer for applicants to cite research in their statement of interest? Specifically research focused schools. I am applying to McMaster and it will be my 5th year. I've heard that you should cite in your statement, however, the statement can only be 4 pages. Would using numerical citations work in this case where space is limited?

Yes, schools of social work love when applicants integrate some research in their personal statement. I always tell people to remember that it's a personal statement and not a full-on research paper, you want to sprinkle in a bit of research to back up your points, demonstrate critical thinking skills, and show off your research abilities- so if you need to modify the formatting to meet the requirements that's no problem. Most applicants would not include the reference page as part of the page limit, so if McMaster's limit is 4 pages you can write 4 pages + a reference page. I would also try to stick to APA formatting for the references / in text citations since this is what we use in social work. There's a lot more I could talk about/nuance with this so if you have any questions send me a message! 

I know this is late. Is anyone applying to McGill's MSW program? If yes is the deadline the 15th of December like on the website or is it the first like on the application portal. I had a lot going on and was sick. I was hoping I had until the 15th, but I saw the conflicting dates. I did not get a response from the graduate secretary. 

Hi all, 

I hope your applications are going well - I have applied to 4/9 schools so far!

I am wondering if anyone could shed some light on the fact that UVic and Wilfrid Laurier have extended their deadlines. Could this mean that they are receiving less than their expected volume of applications?

49 minutes ago, Evs22 said:

Hi all, 

I hope your applications are going well - I have applied to 4/9 schools so far!

I am wondering if anyone could shed some light on the fact that UVic and Wilfrid Laurier have extended their deadlines. Could this mean that they are receiving less than their expected volume of applications?

I've been wondering the same thing! The schools I applied to didn't extend their deadlines (uofT and calgary) but I've noticed there is a lot less activity on this thread than there was for the MSW 2022 thread this time last year 

4 minutes ago, Samantha123 said:

I've been wondering the same thing! The schools I applied to didn't extend their deadlines (uofT and calgary) but I've noticed there is a lot less activity on this thread than there was for the MSW 2022 thread this time last year 

I applied to UofT as well (foundation) and maybe they didn't extend their deadline just because they receive loads of applications as they're a top school. I'm applying to Calgary for the Jan 2024 term if I am unsuccessful in this current cycle, what was the process like?

Also what other schools are you applying to (if any?)

2 hours ago, Evs22 said:

I applied to UofT as well (foundation) and maybe they didn't extend their deadline just because they receive loads of applications as they're a top school. I'm applying to Calgary for the Jan 2024 term if I am unsuccessful in this current cycle, what was the process like?

Also what other schools are you applying to (if any?)

That's awesome, congrats on finishing the app to Toronto! I didn't know Calgary had a Jan 2024 admit term for Foundation students, I applied for May 2023 entry but to be honest it feels a little too soon haha. I also applied to Foundation MSW programs. The process to apply to Calgary was slightly better than UofT because they required fewer references but their personal statement was more free form than Toronto's which I struggled with. I'm also considering applying to UBC-O (Foundation clinical) and then a private counselling program (CityU). 

Hi all!
Just wanted to post in here in case anyone has any questions or needs some reassurance! I applied last year and got into Carleton's 1-year Advanced Standing MSW program and am just finishing up my first semester. 

If anyone has any questions about application processes, funding, or even about courses etc, feel free to send me a message or reply to this!

Good luck to everyone! I know it's a tough waiting process. 

On 12/13/2022 at 1:30 PM, skittles15 said:

I don’t know if I am just burnt out and exhausted or what but does anyone find Laurier’s new statement of intent very overwhelming for such a short word count. So many questions and directions of thought they are asking but only 500 words?? 

It's soo hard when they ask a lot but only give you a little room. In my opinion the way Laurier's personal statement is set up, they're not necessarily looking for you to answer everything directly, but rather take more of a "birds eye view" in discussing your experience and the social justice issue, and the sub-questions are there for inspiration. You can watch a webinar that might give you some direction on what's most important in the personal statement. You can also send me a message and I'd be happy to chat! 

On 12/13/2022 at 1:30 PM, skittles15 said:

I don’t know if I am just burnt out and exhausted or what but does anyone find Laurier’s new statement of intent very overwhelming for such a short word count. So many questions and directions of thought they are asking but only 500 words?? 

omg yes i procrastinated on it bcoz at first glance it seemed like any general question then i realized how whack it actually is with like 5 different subtopics to cover in 500 words for all your relevant experience?? 

Does anyone know if your application is penalized for a reference being late? I sent my referee multiple reminders, she assured me she was on top of it, and still submitted a day late (even after telling me she had submitted it! When she had, in fact, not submitted!). I did as much as I could, but it seems like this part of the application is a little out of the applicant's control and it's been giving me so much anxiety!

Hi all!

Anyone else applying to the MSW at Western? I sent an email, but they are not back in the office until Jan 4th. The question is; my references do not have institutional emails, as they have left the organization. Is anyone else in the same boat and do you know if non-institutional emails are accepted?

Thank you and good luck with your applications! 

Hi all, my name is Patrick Hood and I'm a mature student interested in applying to the MEd in Counselling Psychology & MSW at UofT. My long-term goal is to build an organization in the mental health sector.

My profile is:

88.3 average final 5.0/ 3.9 GPA
Offered to be published in two scientific journals related to Consciousness - in progress
215 hours on a Crisis/ Distress Hotline
One strong professional reference and two strong academic references

My application is not yet ideal in terms of professional experience, and so in the interim I will be completing a post-graduate diploma at McMaster in Professional Addictions Studies, ostensibly to become a case manager, and have a strong interest in volunteering with a hospice

If I am accepted I will reference this so you can know if strong academics with yet-to-be heavily established professional experience is a feasible route into the program

Heyyyyy all!

I am joining the anxiety-induced fray that is this application season :') here is my profile:

- BSW GPA: 3.8 

- Had 4 social service placement experiences totalling 1300ish hours

- Graduated University of Guelph in 2020 and will be a McMaster graduate in 2023

- Had a volunteer/employment relationship with one of my placements for 5 years at a food bank

- Volunteered at a food bank, hospice, and hospital. All of my formal experiences (Vol/work/placement) would be shy of 2000 hours. 

- No research experience

I applied to McMaster's Critical Analysis MSW, Waterloo MSW, and UofT Advanced Standing (hopefully Gerontology specialization), all full-time. I tripped at the finish line in the following ways:

Waterloo

Paid for the application and submitted everything on time except for 2 items. I forgot to hit submit for my statement of interest until days later. On top of that, my third referee also failed to submit their LOR. I called the school and I was allowed to request to change referees last minute. My new referee who was my current placement supervisor submitted their LOR the next day. ALSO, I did not format my resume in the pre-BSW post-BSW format. Failed to read Resume instructions. I'm toast.

UofT 

Paid for the application on time but submitted my previous-previous school transcript late + the same referee problem. When I called the school, they replied that they will allow me some buffer time, but only for 1 week. The third Referee submitted the LOR the moment she got the email.

McMaster

The only application process that I was able to complete smoothly. My late submission blunders with Waterloo and UofT happened because I was confusing their deadlines. 

What I'm worried about the most:

My referees were a professor, my placement professor, and my placement supervisor. I am worried that their positions may not complement the referee requirements for UofT and Waterloo as they require a professional, academic, and placement reference (with varying allowances). My third reference who flopped was my professional reference, who was now replaced by a placement supervisor. I'm anxious, but I am just using this as a platform to vent. Thank you all if you read this far. I will look back on this post in March 2023 to see the results of the cracks in my application. You know, with the late submissions and incorrect formatting and... all that haha. 

I hope everyone else here has a smoother application process for my sake :')

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, BingBongBingBong said:

Well I told myself I wouldn't be back on this website but here I am.

My application record so far:

2020 UofT = Waitlisted

2020 WLU = Rejected

2021 UofT = Waitlisted

2023 UofT = ?????

Only time will tell. Good luck everyone.

May I ask your stats?  GPA and experience?

Hello. 

Firstly, it is nice to have a place where we can normalize our application experience. 

I only applied once to WLU in 2020. I was rejected, and it really threw me for a loop. Since then I took time to re-evaluate my application, and decided to look at it as if I was an assessor.  I have strengthened my experience, professional development, and I am really proud of my statement of personal interest(s). I hope this year is my year. I am applying again to WLU for 2023, and to Windsor for 2023. 

I am a Registered Social Service Worker with over 20 years of experience. I have a BA in Human Services, a diploma in social services and 2 other post graduate diplomas related to the field (Trauma and Addiction Recovery) and (Rehabilitation and Disabilities). 

My GPA was 3.7.  Fingers crossed this year, and best of luck to all of you as well. ?

Edited by ChrisZ

Hello friends!

Has anyone here applied for Wilfrid Laurier (WLU) advanced standing MSW Spring start in the past? It says we should hear back in January, and I’m just wondering when others have heard back? (Beginning, middle or end of the month?) 

Such a long wait seeing as I submitted my application the beginning of June… over 7 months waiting. I was waitlisted the previous time I applied, but it was for Winter start so offers rolled out in a different month.. I’ve also applied for Waterloo as a backup. 

Hello everyone!

Every year I like to visit the forum to see if anyone needs any advice/feedback/support. I recently completed my MSW at UofT in 2022. I connected w/ individuals in the past to answer any burning questions about the program, courses, and experience. In addition, I supported w/ providing feedback for personal statements. If you need encouragement or want to know a bit about the program/process. Feel free to privately message me and I can follow up!

Thanks!